PDA

View Full Version : Due tomorrow and no signs of labor...so many questions

daisyd
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
This is DC #2 so I expected to have baby here by end of November. With DC #1 I delivered at 38 weeks. With this one, it was only last week that there was 1 cm dilatation though the head has been low for 3 weeks now. Has anybody else had this experience? I need to have a repeat ultrasound this week and I'll be told whether the dr wants to induce labor. Feeling a little bewildered by all this. So how long does it take between induction of labor and actual delivery? I need to think ahead for child care etc..TIA!

Snow mom
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
While second DC do come on average earlier than first (I think first is 40w5d average?) the timing for any first and second DC can't really be predicted in that way. DD was born on her due date but I'm expecting DS anytime between 38w and 41w (which is when my OB insists on inducing.) I'd ask for a lot of clarity about how long your OB is willing to let you go over and try walking, sex, etc. to go into labor on your own before that. Inductions can vary greatly in how long they take but it seems like if your body isn't ready there is a chance it will be a long process and increases the risk of c-section and other interventions. Sending you labor vibes.

ETA: the dilation amount doesn't mean anything-- you can be 5 cm for weeks or go from 1 cm to active labor in an hour. I'm planning on refusing internal checks this pregnancy.

buddyleebaby
12-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Every baby is different.

DD2 was born on her due date.
DS was 12 days late.
DD3 was born at 42 weeks and 1 day. I had absolutely no symptoms or signs of labor until after midnight and she was born at 7:07 am.

SnuggleBuggles
12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Both of mine were right around 42weeks. With ds2 I opted for no cervical checks bc they mean squat and just induce stress. I went about life like normal. At 41 weeks they started ultrasounds and all was well. I had 0 desire to be induced as it can make labor harder for mom and baby.

Induction experience varies so much based on how ready your body is and how they induce.

Use this time to ensure baby is in the position. Search for the word "posterior" on this board and you'll get lots of links and advice. My best tips are- don't lounge and recline, lean forward or sit on a birthing ball; spend time each day on all 4s, arch your back to the sky too. A awkwardly positioned baby is more likely to go past EDD and can make things more challenging.

I suggest just chilling and enjoy this "bonus" time with just your little family. Soak up the holiday season and enjoy the ease of baby being on the inside. :)

queenmama
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I suggest just chilling and enjoy this "bonus" time with just your little family. Soak up the holiday season and enjoy the ease of baby being on the inside. :)

I agree with this. As long as baby is doing well (they'll do a NST soon) I would let it be. I was induced with #2 due to complications and I would not recommend it if it isn't medically warranted (and even then, I'm dubious).

Lara

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
...I would not recommend it if it isn't medically warranted ...

:yeahthat:

Though I've only got 1 DC, I was anticipating waiting for labor to start on its own.

However, there were things with DD's condition (she has a heart defect diagnosed prenatally) that made the OBs & midwives in charge of my care a little less willing to allow me to go post-dates, so they recommended an induction. They wanted as much control over the outcome as possible, which I accepted on an intellectual level.

It was not my first choice for what I wanted, but it ultimately wasn't about wants - it was about needs, staffing and immediate interventions.

If there's no medical reason for needing controlled conditions for delivery, I wouldn't go for an induction.

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
DD1 was born 2 days before her due date. DD2 was born a week after her due date. Every kid has its own schedule. Personally, I would wait and let the baby come when he or she is good and ready.

BDKmom
12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Hugs to you...I think the waiting at the end is the worst. My DS was born the day before my due date and DD was born 4 days before. With DD, I was only 1.5 cm dilated at 4 PM and was in labor by 2 AM and 8 cm by 4 AM. So things could get going at any time and could move pretty quickly.

I don't have any personal experience with being induced, but I knew with both of my kids that I would be OK with at least a week over if everything was OK with the baby. Talk out your options with your OB, but I agree with pps, babies have their own timetable and will come when they are ready.

Good luck to you! Either way, your beautiful baby will be here soon!

brittone2
12-11-2012, 08:33 AM
With my first, I contracted for weeks in large stores like Home Depot or Costco. I was 2-3 cm dilated for like 2-3 weeks, 70-80% effaced. I actually had fewer contractions in the week leading up to going into labor. No bloody show, no loss of mucus plug that I noticed. Did have some serious nausea about a day and a half before I went into labor (night sweats, etc. too). Went into labor at 39w1d.

With my 2nd, I declined cervical checks (was with a new midwifery practice in a different state). I had an appt on my EDD, so I finally said okay, do one, because they were sort of pressuring me. I was barely 1 cm dilated. I contracted when walking through big stores and stuff, but not anything like with DS1. I went into labor a day after my barely 1 cm dilated cervical check. Oh, never had any loss of mucus plug or bloody show with her either, until I was in full-on active labor. And despite only being a cm dilated beforehand, I had a 3 hr labor, and wasn't 100% sure i was in labor for half of that.

With my third, I just skipped cervical checks entirely as it really didn't "predict" anything for me at all. With DS1 it left me feeling like I was going to go "any day" for weeks, and with DD, it left me feeling a bit frustrated that I wasn't more dilated. The only cervical check I had was when I was already in active labor and my midwife arrived and checked me. (eta: fast labor, was pretty obvious when I was getting close to being ready to push, I got grunty, etc. so we really didn't have an absolute need to check. I've also had 3 relatively fast labors-6 hrs w/ my first, 3 hrs with my 2nd, 5 hrs with my 3rd) Didn't have a single other cervical check with that pregnancy. Oh, and DS2 arrived on his due date. I had contracted on and off while walking at an outdoor event a day or so earlier, but no real sign of imminent labor. Might have lost a little mucus plug a day or two before. Never had bloody show.

Hang in there! I agree with resting, and working on getting baby in good position. Refresh your memory on good labor positions (Penny Simkin, etc.), scrub floors on hands and knees, don't slouch/slump, sit on a birthing ball and rock, etc. Spinning babies has some good info on that.

edurnemk
12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
DS was born at 38 weeks, so I fully expected DD to be born around that time. She had other plans, she was born at 40 weeks and 1 day, and my OB was also mentioning induction once I hit my EDD. She wasn't pushy about it, but she did say they could induce me on Monday if I wanted (my due date was a friday)

A week before she was born I had ctx every 15 minutes for half the night and then nothing again for a week. The day before she was born I went for a checkp and the OB couldn't believe I hadn't gone into labor, I was 4.5 cm dilated. The next day I started having ctx again and 4 hours later DD was born. Soooo differnet from my labor and delivery with DS, with him I had hardly no dilation, and then wham! I went into labor well before my OB expected and he was born 7.5 hours later.

glbb35
12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
I would definitely review all the options before jumping into one particular bandwagon.

I had all my kids early until the 5th. Lost my mucus plug at 30 weeks, was 2 cm and 25% effaced for weeks. I couldn't believe it as we got closer to his due date that he wasn't here. I began loosing fluid that I had to replace and then was checked on weekly around 32 weeks so no one really anticipated that I would just keep going.My body was just hanging in there but when the fluid levels around the baby dropped to very unhealthy levels and I could no longer keep them up the docs decided to induce 3 days before my due date.

Induction wasn't as bad as I thought and I was really nervous. Having all vaginal deliveries even with the twins I did not want to end up with a section for the last child. I went in around 7 pm and by 9 pm they had started the meds (which were basic to see how I would respond). I tried to get some sleep and let my body do what it was supposed to do. I did not let them break my bag b/c then you are narrowed down to a time frame before they do a section. I labored into the night and around 3 am the nurse came in and got me up and I took a shower, cleaned up etc. I then got a little food and then nothing else after 6 am. They increased the meds just a bit around 7 and around 9 I was getting into some serious pain. Then all of a sudden around 10 I jumped from 6 CM to 9 in about a 10 minute window. Everything started moving. DH wasn't there (he was running an errand on the way to the hospital!!!! HE thought there was time), my sister (I wanted her to witness the birth since her baby was section) was driving fast to get there. I was a 10 and ready and in intense pain but the doc wasn't there, sister wasn't there and DH was parking the car. The anesthesiologist came in and asked if we needed anything and I said yes, epidermal (I wanted important people to be there!) and he reluctantly gave me a partial and DH arrived, sister arrived, doc walked in and wham there was baby! The epidermal kicked in as I was starting to push and was a great relief after he was born. It was only working on one side but it was the side I tore a little so that was a good thing. All in all it went well.

I do believe that babies come when they are supposed to but I also believe you can wait too long. I don't' mean to scare you. I have 3 friends, 2 who didn't have the greatest of outcomes to their babies being left to go over 42 weeks. Communication with your doc is key! I also am not big on constantly being checked to see where you are in dilation but I do believe they need to have a measure of where you are at times. My rule was to check gently not messing with the water bag and only once ever 12 hours. But if your body isn't doing anything then it is time to help it along.

I am sure you will be perfectly fine and everything will go well for you and your sweet baby. AS I am writing this my sister is having her section for her second child. She started having problems (she did with the first one as well) and the docs were seeing her go down a very dangerous path. I can't wait to be an Aunt again!!!! So I am praying for her delivery to go well and I hope your will as well.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

wendibird22
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
DD1 was 9day overdue and I was induced with pitocin only. They started the pitocin at ~9am (IIRC) and DD1 was born at 6pm. I had checked in the night prior and they gave me a sleeping med and it was nice to have a good night sleep heading into a long day of laboring. I did have an epidural as the pitocin contractions where crazy. I think the hard contractions plus the epidural made it very difficult for me to push and eventually DD1 was vacuumed out after having heart rate drops because of the strong contractions.

Contrast that to DD2 who arrived 8 days early after my OB stripped my membranes (she was due Xmas Eve so the OB helped her come earlier). I was in full labor ~12hrs after the stripping. Natural labor, even with the epidural, was so much easier and she practically delivered herself.

If I were ever to have DC3 (which I'm not!) I would want a repeat of #2 and I'd hold off on induction as long as I could.

daisyd
12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. DS #2 arrived the day I was due. Like PP said I went from 1 cm dilated to 6 cm in a couple of hours... nearly had the baby on the car ride to the hospital. We're all doing well.

m4nash
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Congratulations!

sweet_pea
12-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Congrats and best wishes to all of you!!!

Snow mom
12-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Congratulations and welcome to your new little one!

stinkyfeet
12-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Congratulations!!!!! :bouncy:

daisyd
12-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys!

swrc00
12-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Great news! Enjoy your bundle of joy!