PDA

View Full Version : which case for our ipad- griffin survivor or the otterbox?

chozen
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
i think we narrowed it down to these two cases. which case do you think is the best protection? is the screen as sensitive with a cover on it?

Mikey0709
12-09-2012, 10:19 PM
We have both...otter box on an iPad 1 and survivor on a 2. Both seem pretty equivalent but I think I like the screen protector having kids using it all the time. I'm wondering though how the little flaps covering ports is going to hold up though....they seem iffy to me, like they can tear off. We had no sensitivity issue with a screen protector. The otter box has 2 parts, and we seem to rarely put the front on. We also rarely use the stand. think if I had to buy another I would go with another griffin, which I also think I got for a better price on amazon.

chozen
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
We have both...otter box on an iPad 1 and survivor on a 2. Both seem pretty equivalent but I think I like the screen protector having kids using it all the time. I'm wondering though how the little flaps covering ports is going to hold up though....they seem iffy to me, like they can tear off. We had no sensitivity issue with a screen protector. The otter box has 2 parts, and we seem to rarely put the front on. We also rarely use the stand. think if I had to buy another I would go with another griffin, which I also think I got for a better price on amazon.

do they both have screen protectors? also how is the volume with the covers on?

♥ms.pacman♥
12-09-2012, 10:42 PM
we have the griffin one for our ipad2. i loved the otterbox with our itouches but the Otterbox got rotten review for the iPad2 (couldn't use the iPad one bc it was different..ipad2 has a camera so case would need hole for that).

so far it's good. only beef is that it's bulky and annoying to put in a stand.

but i like it. gives me piece of mind when one of the kiddos finds it and starts playing Curious George or whatever on it..i don't have to worry about it breaking. never had issues with the volume with it on. on one of the Thomas e-books i even used the option to record my voice saying the story, and there were no problems..volume was loud enough and everything. and yes, the griffin one has screen protector...definitely a requirement with grubby toddler hands doing a lot of the handling!

only downside it was pricey..like $79 or something. but worth it for a $500+ piece of electronics that can so easily break.

wencit
12-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I just got a Griffin Survivor for our iPad3 and really like it. I will say that the volume with the cover on is definitely muted, but there is a little flap over the hole that I can lift up so that the speaker is not covered at all. Touch sensitivity is very good, except at the corners of the screen. The Survivor was recently slightly redesigned so that it fits much tighter around the iPad, which definitely helps with the sensitivity. I actually got an older version at first, and it felt kind of "loose". I had to send it back to Amazon because it had a big scratch on the cover, and they sent me a redesigned one, which is much better. This reviewer talks about it here in depth, including the serial numbers between the two versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtXU0pICaw

One thing that bugs me is that I can not use the stand in portrait mode, only in landscape mode. But otherwise, I've been pretty happy with it, and I agree with ms. pacman that a screen protector is a must if grubby toddler fingers are going to be playing with it, as happens in my home.