PDA

View Full Version : Infant hand tremors: call ped?

rin
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Over the past three-four weeks, we've noticed DD2 (5.5 months old right now) occasionally having these sort of hand tremors. They don't happen at any kind of strictly predictable time, although I've noticed them often around dinner/bathtime, so possibly they're linked to tiredness? No other part of her body trembles, but I'll notice her bring her hands together in front of her chest and then the hands will just start trembling quickly. When it happens, it'll sort of cycle for a few minutes, with maybe 15 seconds of trembling, then none (as she shifts around), then more trembling, etc.

Is this normal? Should we make an appointment with the pediatrician, or am I freaking myself out over nothing? I don't ever remember anything similar with DD1.

TIA!

redhookmom
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Make an appointment. You will sleep better.

Molly

Claki
12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Do you have a six-month wellness check? I would just mention it then. I have a hazy memory of being told that the tremors can last for months and are just the nervous system still developing. Not sure how many months that was...

Green22
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
My kids have done this too but it was whole body. They would kind of "short circuit" while nursing. Each time I called and the ped said it was related to development. It eventually went away. But I would mention it, there may be other things they want to ask about. Am sure it is fine.

Multimama
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I'd mention it at your next check-up, but I think tremors are normal in young babies, especially if there is no other sign that something is wrong.

rin
12-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Ok, thanks ladies. I'm comforted to hear that it doesn't sound too concerning. We have a 6-month checkup two weeks from now, and I've definitely been planning to bring it up then, but then tonight her hands were trembling as I was getting her into her jammies after her bath (she was also exhausted and at the end of her rope) and I started to freak myself out that it could be something serious and that we're being negligent in not making an appointment right away.