PDA

View Full Version : When to give sippy cup to EBF babies

Pilotbaby
12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
For those of you that EBF your babies- when do you introduce sippy cups? I have read of lots of people doing so around 6-9 months and am wondering the reason for this. Also, what do you put in them and what type do you like best?
TIA

Liziz
12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
We started around 7 months, shortly after we started solids. I just put water in the cup. At that age I don't thnk she got more than a few drops, but we started because I wanted her to start learning how to drink from it, and start getting her used to the taste of water. Now at 9.5 months, we offer the cup (still just water in it) at every meal....she drinks some now, but the vast majority of her liquid intake is still coming from BM. We're using Nuby cups right now....I don't love them, but they're fine.

ETA: After reading other posts realized I forgot to mention that we also give water in an open glass sometimes...DD loves that, especially if she's seeing me drink from a glass at the same time!

Melaine
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
We just started a few weeks ago, about 7 months. I thought it would be good for him to get used to it, but honestly now it just serves as a distraction for him in his high chair while I am getting his food out. We are using a straw cup but he rarely gets anything out of it. I let him drink out of an open cup also to get some actual water! We've only put water in so far. I don't love the cups we've tried, the open cup has been the most successful.

Simon
12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
We usually go straight to an open cup (a glass so you can see the water level and tip accordingly) around 9 mo. All 3 Ds have LOVED drinking water this way.

We do use sippy cups later, in the car, and I don't think any one is really better than another. The Take n' Toss straw or sippy worked just as well for us as the Gerber trainers, the Advent, and the Sassy brands.

AshUVA
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
We started a regular cup (open top) with meals around 9 months with just water. After a year we also offered them with milk at meals. We never did sippy cups as to avoid another unecessary transition later. For the car and traveling, we use straw cups with water.

citymama
12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
We did at around 7-9 months for water as well for DD2. We used the NUK first sippy. It was more to play with while we sat at the table and ate as a family, but she got the hang of it. With DD1, we started with a straw cup of all things, at about 8 months, and it was a big hit.

sntm
12-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Started water at 5.5 mo just because DS kept grabbing my glass. Now offer it in sippys for practice or pumped bm

rin
12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
We only ever gave DD1 water in her sippy cup. She still takes a sippy cup of water to bed with her now at age 2.5, since she sometimes wakes up thirsty. She drinks out of a regular cup at meals, though, and never gets anything but water in her sippy. I think we started introducing sippies around 6 months, but she never got the hang of them until over a year. She was better with straw cups, I think we used the Munchkin ones. DD2 is just under 6 months, and hasn't used a straw cup or a sippy yet.

AnnieW625
12-11-2012, 07:56 PM
although DDs were not EBF, but we started it for play around 6 mos. We used the Playtex one for DD1, and the Nuk first sippy for DD2.

maybeebaby08
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
We started around 6 months with a straw in a glass or drinking from my glass. I gave her a Zoli cup around 7 months with water and that's what we still use. We don't do sippy cups just open glass or straw cups.