PDA

View Full Version : Do you go to the dermatologist for a full-body check?

TwoBees
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
And if so, how long should a full-body check take?

JElaineB
12-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I went for other things and they did one (though not my, um, private regions, I count on my GYN for that). It took maybe 5 minutes or so? I suppose if they saw anything of concern it might take longer.

Momit
12-10-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't but DH does. He has several irregular moles and a family history of melanoma. It takes 5 or 10 minutes.

kristenk
12-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I've done it 2x and plan on making it an annual thing. It took about 5 minutes. My nether regions weren't examined.

wendibird22
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I've done it a few times. Probably time for a recheck. Usually takes 5-10min. I did specifically ask her to look at a mole on the inner part of a butt cheek but otherwise kept my panties on.

khalloc
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow. My Dermatologist takes alot longer than 5-10 minutes. I recently had a friend who has had skin cancer and she was upset that her new dermatologist only takes 5-10 minutes to do a full body check and doesnt seem to really look very closely.

My doctor looks EVERYWHERE, although I not my genitals. I think she trusts me to tell her if something was there. She does look at my bum though. I've never had cancer, but have had several atypical moles removed. I would say the entire thing takes at least 25 minutes. Maybe longer. They often take close-up polaroids of anything slightly suspicious so that they can look and compare at my next visit.

LD92599
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, every 6 months, sometimes every 3 since it seems they find something abnormal every time i go! Extremely thorough!

TxCat
12-10-2012, 11:15 AM
I go annually - exam takes about 10 minutes. I've had two abnormal moles removed, but fortunately pathology didn't show cancer.

TwoBees
12-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow. My Dermatologist takes alot longer than 5-10 minutes. I recently had a friend who has had skin cancer and she was upset that her new dermatologist only takes 5-10 minutes to do a full body check and doesnt seem to really look very closely.

My doctor looks EVERYWHERE, although I not my genitals. I think she trusts me to tell her if something was there. She does look at my bum though. I've never had cancer, but have had several atypical moles removed. I would say the entire thing takes at least 25 minutes. Maybe longer. They often take close-up polaroids of anything slightly suspicious so that they can look and compare at my next visit.

This is what I was wondering about. Mine takes 5-10 mins, I thought it should be longer, more thorough. Maybe 5-10 mins is the norm though.

brittone2
12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I've had 2 checks a few years apart, both while having moles removed (both came back normal). They suggest I come yearly, but I don't. They did it as part of the check when I had the moles removed...so maybe 10 mins.

DH really needs to go.

kdeunc
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM

:yeahthat: DH and both have started going every year as both of us have had atypical moles removed and have skin cancer issues in our families. Definitely closer to 25 minutes than 5 minutes.

Corie
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I go annually for a full-body check. So does my daughter (age 11).

(DD has lots of freckles, moles, etc. so I like the dermatologist to keep
a close watch on her.)

My son is almost completely freckle-free. I look over him occasionally
when he takes a bath or runs around naked.

My mom died right after she turned 49 yrs. old due to malignant melanoma.
So I am extremely careful.

brittone2
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I suspect that maybe the length of time could also be influenced by how many moles you have. I have some, but not a lot. DH's back has a lot of moles, and he spent time in high school and college doing construction, so lots of sun back in those days. I think it would take a loooong time to check all of his.

WatchingThemGrow
12-10-2012, 12:05 PM
They do check me whenever I'm there probably yearly. A friend is planning to undergo chemo after vulvar cancer relapse so its not unheard of to get something there...

hillview
12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I am 41 and going in April. I need them to check my bikini area as I have a mole there that needs a look.

jse107
12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Annually. My dad has had a couple of basal cells removed and I have VERY pale skin that has been seriously sunburned during my wild teenage years....

FSUMama
12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I go annually. I have a lot of moles and spent way too much time in the sun without protection when I was young and stupid! I think the first check took 10-15 min. but the subsequent trips were even quicker. I had an abnormal mole removed for a biopsy at one appointment and even that didn't take very long.

BabbyO
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I go 2x/yr. I have MANY moles, many large moles and my dad had melanoma (there are several other cases on his side of the family)...so it is 2x/yr for me.

My initial check was probably on the order of 25-30 min. They measure any irregular moles or "large" moles. All of my re-checks are on the order of 10 min. They recheck about 10-12 that may be of concern (remeasuring each time) and then check for any new moles or changes.

I had a bit of a red flag the last time I was there because we forgot one was checked while I was PG and breastfeeding for the last 3 yrs...it has a much different shape now that the girls have disappeared again! :D Once we realized what was going on...we were A-OK.

mommylamb
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I went earlier this year, and it is my intention to start going annually. DH also went this year and he had some precancerous cells that were removed.

mackmama
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Yes I get a yearly skin cancer check. It takes about 15mins.

niccig
12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I need to go in and have this done again. Apparently growing up in Australia puts me in high risk category. It has the highest skin cancer rate in the world and where my parents live has the highest rate in Australia. Great!

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the question! The thread has reminded me that I should probably make plans to go in the new year and get a check.

I've got 4 friends who've lost their dads to malignant melanoma in the last 3 years, so I'm not about to take any chances with my own skin.

ett
12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a dermatologist appointment scheduled for next February.