PDA

View Full Version : If you took your toddler to NYC for the day, what did he/she enjoy?

janine
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
My DD is 4 (so maybe not really a toddler anymore), and even though we live 30mins from NYC and she was born there, we haven't taken her. I'd like to take her this week for a mommy-DD day trip--if you've taken your kids what did they enjoy? I don't want to wear her out, we can always come back!

Right now I have a lot of stores on the list so trying to round it out better - thinking Rock Ctr for tree, American Girl, TRU or FAO, look @ Macy's, SAK's windows,etc. Not sure where for lunch though!

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

alootikki
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Our kids love going to the Museum of Natural History, and playing in Central Park (and visiting the castle there). And honestly, they also love just watching all of the traffic go by - both people and the cars, taxis and buses! The highlight of our last trip was riding the subway! :)

123LuckyMom
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
DS loves the Natural History museum and the Staten Island Ferry (a cheap boat ride and way to see the skyline and the Statue of Liberty from afar but closer than land).

This year we're going on the weekend before New Year's, and we're planning to go up the Empire State Building as well as see the tree at Rockefeller Center as well as some Christmas windows. Don't forget FAO Schwartz!

DS also loves the castle at Central Park. Come spring we're going to do the Circle Line, too. DS LOVES riding on the subway and the bus. Seriously, he thinks it's better than Disney! He also loves going to Yankees games. If you're outside the city, I'm sure you've done the Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens. They're not the city, per se, but they're both wonderful for kids! Have fun!!!

emily
12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I did a mommy-daughter day this summer with 4 yr old DD. We took the ferry in from NJ. She really enjoyed it. I took her to my office and showed her around, then went to Central Park nearby and rode the carousel and had ice cream. We walked by FAO but she wasn't interested. Then on a subway ride to Time Square and TRU and rode the ferris wheel. Then cab back to ferry. Honestly, she enjoyed the ferry, subway and cab ride the most (all firsts for her). I think we spent about 4 hours in the city. It was exhausting for the both of us. I am not used to public transportation with a toddler and a stroller. It reminded me a Bubble Guppies episode.

This time of year, I would do Rockefeller and Santa Land at Macys. I havent been in ages but maybe you can have lunch at Rockefeller over-looking the ice rink. Definately, go see some windows.

Reina
12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I cannot recommend the Central Park Zoo enough. It has given me my sanity back this year with our double move and living out of boxes and suitcases and travelling incessantly. I take my 3 year old son there every week. He loves feeding the sheep and snorting at the pigs, and watching the polar bear sleep (of all things. but he is 3 so we don't dare to question.).

The MET is right there in Central Park. We often do "Start with Art". It's a one hour class (for lack of a better word) where kids 3-7 yrs learn about art, and painting. He LOVES it. There is story time at the library with a fun treasure hunt. We also do mom/kid workshop - but I think that might be a members thing. Regardless, there is a lot to do at the Met and kids love it.

A block down on the corner of Madison & 79th, there is Serafina restaurant. Food is not amazing. More like hmm ok. But it's VERY child friendly (they check your stroller for you), the tables are covered with paper and there is endless crayons.

Have fun!

Dream
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
What's happening in FAO Schwartz? I'm 40min from NYC, thinking of taking DD to see the tree but hates to juggle them in the night.

Also, can you tell me little bit more about the castle in Central Park.

elektra
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
We were just there last week with my 3.5 yo and 5.5 yo.
First of all, multiply anything by 2 to estimate anything.
Ex. if you think, "it's only a 5 block walk" it's like 10 kid blocks.

We were there for a few days but our best overall day might have been when we went to the Natural History Museum.
We took the subway up, walked around the museum, ate at Shake Shack, then walked around Central Park. We should have left more time for the park though.

Other activities that the kids enjoyed were:
Eating treats at the shop that used to be Dean and Deluca right on the corner of Rockefeller Center. (It was incredibly crowded there though- FYI)

Walking through FAO Swartz

Honestly, just running through parks like Central Park and Washington Square park did more for them than looking at the windows.
They also loved just riding the subways.

When I asked DS what he liked best about NYC he said, "New Jersey." :)
I think it was because we rode several trains to get there.

Dream
12-10-2012, 02:24 PM
When I asked DS what he liked best about NYC he said, "New Jersey." :)
I think it was because we rode several trains to get there.

:hysterical:

I wonder whether its worth it taking them to see the tree during day time.

alootikki
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Belvedere Castle is in the middle of the park around 79th-80th Streets - here's a link with pics/more info:

http://www.centralpark.com/guide/attractions/belvedere-castle.html