PDA

View Full Version : Any last minute Santa requests throw you for a loop?

wendibird22
12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Share last minute additions, substitutions, and crazy changes to the Santa list here!

The girls made out their Santa lists a few weeks ago after a trip to TRU to get ideas. I did my shopping online that night and got their list items. I've checked in a few times since then and they always can restate what is on their list as what they want. Great! I took DDs to see Santa on Saturday. DD2 (3yo) gets up to Santa and tells him she wants a pink race car. What?! Pink race car?! That's not on your list. Carp! Quick text to DH who is out doing his holiday shopping to add pink race car to the list. Thankfully he found this one for $12. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12504719

Indianamom2
12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Yep...almost the same scenario. I was totally done with Ds....we take him to see Santa and he asks for an "Amazing Hulk" costume. Where in the heck to find that after Halloween?

Luckily Walmart happened to have a little dress-up set with the Hulk and "Captain American" , and it was only $15. I might just save one of his other gifts for his b-day this summer.

egoldber
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
This is why I find there is no percentage in shopping early. So often my kids have changed their minds in the week before Christmas!

niccig
12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
This is why I find there is no percentage in shopping early. So often my kids have changed their minds in the week before Christmas!

:yeahthat:

DS wanted a 3DS, he's never mentioned it before. We waited on it to see if it would change and we hadn't bought his main present yet, so we got it. Then last weekend he wanted football things like a fathead for his bedroom. He's never mentioned that. Christmas Day is also his birthday, and we didn't have a present yet. But I told DH, that's it. If he mentions anything else, it stays on the list. He never gets everything off his list anyway.

billysmommy
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Not for them but Ds2 (6 years) just wrote a letter to Santa from our cat. He told Santa that our cat really really wants a jet pack for Christmas!! DH and I think it would be hysterical to put this under the tree and are going to make one but using small soda bottles instead of 2 liters
http://boingboing.net/2012/04/30/howto-make-a-kids-jetpack.html

brittone2
12-10-2012, 01:27 PM
My DS1 doesn't have many requests this year. The other day we were at the ILs, and FIL gave him an old CB radio. DS1 now wants to fix it up and get it working again (he likes electronics), and so he requested a new antenna for it. Oooooohkay then.

new_mommy25
12-10-2012, 01:36 PM
DD suddenly must absolutely have a new baby doll and she wants it more than anything in the world and doesn't want an art desk now, just the baby, blah blah blah. :eyeroll: Anyway, the art desk has already been purchased and luckily the doll is on;y $30. She better not change her mind again!

rlu
12-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Not for them but Ds2 (6 years) just wrote a letter to Santa from our cat. He told Santa that our cat really really wants a jet pack for Christmas!! DH and I think it would be hysterical to put this under the tree and are going to make one but using small soda bottles instead of 2 liters
http://boingboing.net/2012/04/30/howto-make-a-kids-jetpack.html

Awesome!

DS wants a Nook or Fire, for two months, now thanks to B&N marketing he wrote Nook HD on his Santa letter but Santa's already purchased the Nook Tablet. Thanks B&N, now we have to explain why Santa brought the slightly wrong thing (again.)

DS has almost always been consistent, the marketing got him (us) this year.

MSWR0319
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
DS wanted a Playmobil school or hospital. I wanted to get him the Take a long Vet clinic. He wanted nothing to do with it the one time I asked. Today he says he's decided he wants the vet clinic. Ugh. The playmobil site has no more coupons, Kohls is now out of them and so is every other site I can find one on. Why didn't I follow my gut? I knew he'd like that one best.

oneplustwo
12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Last minute in our family is 9:00 pm on Christmas Eve. :eek: DD, who never asks for much, decided a couple of years ago to write a letter to Santa and included a few wishes, right before going to bed. Her requests:

* 100 trees planted
* bag of birdseed

Holy crippety crip. It was 9 at night. All the stores were closed. I was emailing/texting my friends my mayday for birdseed. Finally I found an old bag in our basement and was able to put it into a plain white paper bag. The National Arbor Foundation saved my butt ~ online I could make a donation for a certain # of trees planted and print out a fancy document that said the tree plantings were for DD in honor of Christmas from Santa. It was only 25 trees but since it listed 4 different types of pine, it kinda read like 100 trees. DD was THRILLED beyond belief, and it had her believing in Santa for a tiny bit longer.

So, with more than two weeks to go, we are not even close to last minute for us. I expect my two boys to come up with some kind of last-minute request; if I'm lucky, it will be on the 23rd and I'll have a few days to figure something out if necessary.

wellyes
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Hey, Santa can't bring everything on your list, he's an elf not a waiter!

A friend of ours' kid asked for "Rudolph, and your toy bag" in his letter to Santa :rotflmao:

jennilynn
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
DS has been asking every Santa he sees for "throwing arrows." One of them actually said "oh, sure we have plenty of those at the North Pole." Thanks, dude! I was against weapons for Christmas but found these (http://www.target.com/p/disney-princess-brave-merida-bow-arrow-set/-/A-14005739#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink) and even though they are a "girl toy," they look fairly harmless so now I'm considering it. This is the first year he's even interested in Santa AT ALL so I hate to disappoint.

lalasmama
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
DD asked for a tire at 9:30pm one Christmas Eve. ... She didn't get it. It returned on her Christmas list for several years. We finally figured out what was up with the request when she was 7, and could explain that that first Christmas, we had a flat tire, used the spare, and then had another flat tire that same Christmas Eve, thereby stranding us on the side of the highway until SO could come save us, so she wanted extra tires. We got AAA instead, and explained that they will have tires for us whenever we need them.

No other last minute requests, thankfully!

georgiegirl
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Dd (6.5) wants rainbow yarn and some balloons (the kind you can blow up yourself.)

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
DD1 asked Santa for a real live owl...obviously she is not getting that

tny915
12-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Just this morning DD2 asked for a wind up walking Santa and a wind up walking elf. I am so thankful for eBay.

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Oh so cute!

If that were my DD's request, I'd have to remind her that Santa knows Mommy is terrified of birds.

wendibird22
12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Last minute in our family is 9:00 pm on Christmas Eve. :eek: DD, who never asks for much, decided a couple of years ago to write a letter to Santa and included a few wishes, right before going to bed. Her requests:

* 100 trees planted
* bag of birdseed

Holy crippety crip. It was 9 at night. All the stores were closed. I was emailing/texting my friends my mayday for birdseed. Finally I found an old bag in our basement and was able to put it into a plain white paper bag. The National Arbor Foundation saved my butt ~ online I could make a donation for a certain # of trees planted and print out a fancy document that said the tree plantings were for DD in honor of Christmas from Santa. It was only 25 trees but since it listed 4 different types of pine, it kinda read like 100 trees. DD was THRILLED beyond belief, and it had her believing in Santa for a tiny bit longer.

So, with more than two weeks to go, we are not even close to last minute for us. I expect my two boys to come up with some kind of last-minute request; if I'm lucky, it will be on the 23rd and I'll have a few days to figure something out if necessary.

Wow! That takes the cake for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlu
12-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Oh no no no, Santa does not bring live animals - my folks told me that when I asked for a pony (of course, right?) and I repeated that to DS when he said he wanted a puppy. Thankfully no-one else around here as gotten a puppy/kitty for xmas that he knows of.

eta: an oneplustwo - you are awesome for pulling that off!

Pear
12-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Oh yes

DD told Santa she wanted a "pony sign". Upon further questioning I discovered that this will be a triangle sign with her name and a picture of a brown pony. No rectangles, no ovals, a triangle. I can decorate a sign if I find something to decorate, but tracking down a triangle shape is proving to be difficult. I don't has the tools to make one.

Last year was the last minute blue doghouse. We ended up finding a real dog bed shaped like a dog house. It was perfect and cheaper than any of the toys we found that weren't quite right.

lovebebes
12-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Mommy Santas are the most powerful breed of Santas! :wink2:

ellies mom
12-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Several years ago, on Christmas Eve, DD1 told me that she wanted an elf for Christmas. The husband was working, so sneaking out wasn't going to happen. She hadn't asked for anything else from Santa.

Luckily, I had a stash of Starbuck's bears that I used to collect and there was an elf in there. Of course she was completely underwhelmed that the elf showed up but at least I came through.

edurnemk
12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
DS is writing his 5th letter to Santa as I write this. But I've always told him Santa can't take anymore requests past a certain date (around the 15th) because he needs to get the toys ready for millions of kids and that takes time, so he can't have all kids changing their minds at the last minute. We're also clear on the fact that the list is a wish list and he won't necessarily get everything he asks for.

dogmom
12-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I feel like a being a Sith Lord and whispering:

"Come over to the dark side...deny Santa...." ;)

Seriously, the no Santa thing makes it so much easier.
"Mom, have you done the Christmas shopping yet?"
"Yes"
"Can I have a puppy?"
"What do you think you father will say to that?"
"Never mind."

Oh, and my battle cry, "I keep the receipts. Things can go back."

crl
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Ds has been asking for new catchers gear for months. He put it in his letter to Santa, which he wrote with no prompting. I ordered new shin guards (the part he had been complaining about) and had them delivered directly to my parents house since that's where we are spending Christmas. Then ds decides he doesn't want it after all and writes Santa again.

Sigh. Too late. I am not having my parents return them.

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Oh so cute!

If that were my DD's request, I'd have to remind her that Santa knows Mommy is terrified of birds.

I told her Santa can't bring animals on his sled because it gets too cold. She bought it.

wendibird22
12-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Last year was the last minute blue doghouse. We ended up finding a real dog bed shaped like a dog house. It was perfect and cheaper than any of the toys we found that weren't quite right.

I totally remember that thread and think of you when I see this item at my local CVS in blue:
http://www.amazon.com/Etna-Products-Portable-Dog-House/dp/B004FKD29W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355188104&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+dog+house

Pear
12-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I totally remember that thread and think of you when I see this item at my local CVS in blue:
http://www.amazon.com/Etna-Products-Portable-Dog-House/dp/B004FKD29W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355188104&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+dog+house

That is exactly what we ended up buying in blue. DD still plays with it, though now she has to share it with our kitten who finds it very cozy.

kijip
12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
My dad usually shops for Christmas on like the 23rd or 24th so if it is small, he might get it. Otherwise they get what we have already bought. ;)

caheinz
12-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Last night, the twins decided they needed a toy space ship. Looked on the iPad -- they love the Imaginext Space Shuttle. The one that was $20 at Walmart on Black Friday, but since they hadn't said anything about anything like that, I did not run out to buy it.

Of course, there's nothing else like that that I could find. And Amazon now wants $65 for that Space Shuttle, which seems to have been clearanced out everywhere.

Thank goodness, my closest Walmart had quite a few on the shelf. And though unmarked, it still rang up at $20.

Not quite last minute, but close...

blisstwins
12-11-2012, 02:44 AM
A few years ago my daughter told us on Christmas Eve that all wanted was a doorknob. She was dead serious. Thankfully, I have an uncle who hoards and he was able to find and old one. She was beyond thrilled. I still think it is weird.