PDA

View Full Version : s/o: favorite toys/brands that were not BBB recs....

AnnieW625
12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Maybe it comes from my many years as a babysitter/nanny in high school and college, and having a sister that is 10 yrs. younger than me, but I have never really felt like I needed advice on what toys to get. I have alwasys just bought what I like. I was never really out of the toy market. I knew about Legos, Playmobil, and Fisher Price stuff because I was a kid from 77 to 95, and then my sister and the kids I nannied for were born between 87 and 97 so I only had about 8 yrs. where I wasn't buying toys for someone.

So here is my list:

Sophie (me, or one of my two siblings had one of these in the 70s-80s. It lasted a long time. I remember seeing it in the box of toys my mom kept for when she had kids over to baby sit. I don't think it was called Sophie then and the paint was a little darker, but it was identical to her. I also had a set of teething toys that were very similar to the Vulli teethers, they also ended up in the play box of toys)
Playmobil (although we don't have any of this yet, but plan to get some when DD2 is a bit older)
Legos/Duplos/Megabloks (I got the first set in our house as a kid, and DD1 got them as gifts and I bought a small FP storage table with a bunch of Mega Blocks when DD1 was a baby from a friend.)
Plasma Car (our daycare provider has them, ours has gotten a lot of love over the years and am replacing it this year for DD2's big gift)
Little Tikes pirate ship swing/slide set, best $50 I have spent ever
Tripp Trapp (another thing I had known as the Kinderzeat)
Nintendo DS
Fisher Price doll house, and current little people. We currently have my set from when I was a kid, but my parents and DD1's godparents have given us the current little people and they are slowly growing on me.

brands:
Hanna Andersson (the kids I baby sat for in the early 90s wore this stuff. I drooled over it then, I was 16)
Bugaboo (Sex & the City, maybe?--I don't actually own a Bugaboo product, but they are still swoon worthy)
Peg Perego (I think I have shopping at South Coast Plaza in 2004-2006 introduced me to this brand)
Maclaren strollers (a friend recommended them to me, I thank her everytime I push one of our two strollers)
Bob Strollers (I think I read about these in the BBB book, not the forum, but I am really glad I finally got one in 2010)
Kid Co food grinder (my mom got one as a gift when I was a baby)

chottumommy
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Spiel and Holz. Hands down the most beautiful, colourful, magincal wooden blocks that get played almost everyday.

I would have spent close to $500 (at 40% off coop) on them but one of the best toy investments, and I'm sure would last a couple of generations.

We don't have many other toys, other than matchbox cars, magnatiles, legos and various handmade gnomes, elves and people.