PDA

View Full Version : planning for future "side-by-side" fit

EGandhi
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
let me start by saying thank you for the previous advice on a different thread...i've started a new thread as recommended and would appreciate any additional advice on the following scenario...

we have a new car (volvo s60) and are currently using britax boulevard 70 cs (that was sitting in bmw 5 series - which is now carseat-less)...need 2nd car convertible car seat, but concerned about fitting with an infant car seat (graco snug ride 35) side-by-side in the future...

i really love my blvd 70 cs and have read up on the g3 series - am leaning towards pavilion 70 g3 or blvd 70 g3...

which 2nd convertible car seat would you recommend of those listed above? or would you recommend something completely different and why?

Joolsplus2
12-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Radian :love5:
Particularly if you plan to rearface a long time. (2 is the bare minimum to forward face currently, but as you saw in the other thread, most of us prefer much longer, 3-5 if possible, and the Radian's about the tallest). One reason to consider it, though, is that it's narrow and 'puzzles' easier next to other seats, so some day in the future, you'll have a possibly better option to fit it next to your infant seat.

Among the Britaxes you like, the Pavilion has the CS feature, do you like that on your current seat? I find it clicks at inappropriate tightnesses and don't really think much of it, but if you love it, no problem. Boulevard is just as nice :)

EGandhi
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
crazy how you're wired to plan ahead even when you're not pregnant! we'll definitely rf until at least 2 years old...but i'm not sure how much longer than that...i have found the CS feature in my blvd 70 cs to be helpful...

i reviewed the radian rxt post on the car seat blog - http://carseatblog.com/14805/diono-radian-rxt/ - found it to be very helpful, but i'm concerned about the cons listed primarily the headrest not staying put and the superLATCH connectors...how difficult are these different connectors to hook onto the lower anchors...

additional thought - why doesn't the radian come with the angle adjuster as most older kids would prefer the upright position versus a separate purchase??? has anyone used this adjuster and what has been your experience?

Joolsplus2
12-10-2012, 02:17 PM
The angle adjuster is terrific, I don't think I'd ever install the RN without it (of course for a child who can sit up unassisted, not for a wee babe). Lots of places are out of stock on RN's I wonder if they are making any changes for a fresh release....? Hmmm...
Of course, nothing wrong with a solid second Britax now and deal with possible puzzling issues later when you get to them :)

legaleagle
12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Angle adjuster is awesome! That said, it really depends on the shape of your seats whether you actually need it. It easily installs at about 35 degrees in my mazda5 without the angle adjuster, which may be plenty for many people. It does smoosh down eventually and may need to be replaced (at least, the original ones I got right when they came out last year do, have they revamped them since?)

EGandhi
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
thank you so much! i'd rather make the right purchase now versus making an additional one later because i was wrong...i hate being wrong ;)

i'm leaning towards radian rxt...toys r us has the option to ship to store for 3 of the colors (the others are all out of stock)...

thank you both for your help! i do love this site!

btw - i've been recommending the book baby bargains since we bought it ourselves in 2010 when we were expecting...and i recently just gave my sister-in-law ours - the book and this blog have been my saviors!