PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's kids have a very odd lovey?

mm123
12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
DD2 is 2.5, and up until a few months ago, never got attached to any 'lovey' in particular. She's had plenty of blankets, stuffed toys, dolls, etc., but nothing that she absolutely can't sleep without.

Well, a couple of months ago, she developed a strange attachment to DIAPERS (yes, as in Pampers!!). She seems to really like the texture or something. Now, she always grabs a diaper to bring to bed with her, carries one around the house with her, sucks her thumb while rubbing it, etc. Same things most kids do with their blankie!! She will NOT go to bed without one in her hand now, and frequently insists on dragging one with her when we're out.

Luckily, she's not particular to one specific diaper (although she does prefer the Elmo ones!).

I just kind of laugh, but, is this safe, or should I be worried about the materials in the diapers? Luckily, she doesn't suck on them- she just sucks her thumb and rubs the diaper. Also, now that she's so 'attached' to the diapers, will she EVER potty train?!!

Anyone else's kids have really odd loveys?

MSWR0319
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
When we were little my sister became attached to the hair on my Hugg-A-Bunch doll. She'd do the same thing your daughter does and rub it on her nose or just rub the hair. It went on so long, the dolls head fell off and shed walk around with just the head. Her Godmother looked for a new doll for months and finally fond one after a year at an auction so she didn't have to walk around with a doll head!

BabbyO
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
No odd lovey, but in if a lovey isn't present, my hair is a substitute for both kids. They will stroke my hair and twist their hands and fingers in it....I guess the nice thing is I always have it with me. The bad thing...I find dinner in my hair regularly! :)

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't know if I saw this here or read it somehwere else, but I read somewhere that there was a kid who chose one of his mom's nighties as a lovey. Very awkward because he wanted to take it with him everywhere.

I am relieved that my DD1 has chosen a bear for her lovey.

niccig
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM
My advice with a weird lovey is let them have it but replace it with something nicer when you can.

DS's lovey was my hair. He had to have it all the time, would cry if he didn't have it. I tried dolls with hair, nothing worked. I posted here for help. Someone found a lady that makes a stuffed doll (sort of waldorf looking) with either wig hair or your hair if you send it in. I was desperate. DS was 9 months old and permanently attached to my hair. So I cut a large chunk of hair from the underlayers (couldn't see it was done) and we got a doll.

DS loved that doll immediately, it gave me a chance to be more than 1ft away from him. Loved the doll. Taking it out in public got interesting reactions, so thankfully he's just at home now. DS is nearly 8yrs old and Bluey (the doll's name) is only used at bedtime. I had my lovey until about 10. I still have my teddy bear, MIL kept DH's lovey and gave it to us when DS was born. I'm now thinking ahead and there is no where I can explain this weird doll to a future girlfriend without her thinking we're crazy people.

DS' preferred lovey is still my hair. We'll be sitting on the couch together and he'll play with it. When he's upset and I'm comforting him, he'll play with it.