PDA

View Full Version : HSPT prep?

Globetrotter
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I know this is a shot in the dark, but what the heck! DD will be taking the HSPT to get into catholic HS. She does really well in school and on standardized tests but has an anxious personality, so I think it would be good for her to see what a sample test looks like and practice taking it.

The online test prep reviews aren't so great so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion. It's coming up soon and she won't have much time but I mainly want to relieve any anxiety she may have - we haven't talked about it but she knows she needs to take it. Of course, we will try to make sure she eats a good breakfast and is rested (though that will be difficult as we are going to be traveling before that and she will have a ton of makeup work that week - ugh).

Any suggestions?

octmom
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I took a test like that in the mid-80s, so my information is just a bit dated. ;) I remember taking a test prep class on Saturday mornings at one of the Catholic high schools in the area. From what I recall, we did lots of practice questions and they taught us some techniques, like how to eliminate obviously incorrect answers to multiple choice questions. IIRC, it was mostly about becoming familiar with the format of the test to alleviate anxiety. I took a Princeton Review prep course before the SAT, and it was similar.

Good luck to your DD!

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Practice. I don't know if it's national or if it's Diocese-specific, but I remember it being mostly a general-knowledge test on things we'd studied quite a bit.

When I took the Catholic HS entrance exam (in 1991) I found it very easy, but I did not have test-taking anxiety and found the questions in some sections to be eye-rolling. (Yes, I had a REALLY bad attitude.)