PDA

View Full Version : Present for Dad from LO's??

BabbyO
12-10-2012, 02:34 PM
DH is impossible to buy for. So I'm thinking something homemade from the kiddos for him. Any ideas what he might like. No coffee mugs or ties...he doesn't drink coffee and works from home.

This year has me feeling a bit defeated...

My boys are 1 & 3 yo...so its got to be easy.

I've already put together a photo calendar, but since it is going to be a gift for grandparents as well, he's seen it....

Any of the BBB dads have any ideas (open to ideas for me to give him, too!) :)

brittone2
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
We've done artwork for DH's office....probably tough at your kids' ages though. He actually requested some more so we'll probably do it again this year. He also wants some plants for his office, so I've thought about them adding handprints or something to a planter.

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
My siblings and I would always give our dad AquaVelva aftershave when I was a kid. As I got older & took more charge over what we gave him, it changed from the aftershave (which I felt uncomfortable buying) to small toys - figures of his favorite characters (Superman & the Martian Manhunter), Matchbox convertibles (in red, of course) and other trinkets he could keep on his desk at work. When I was about 12, I started giving my dad series ornaments for the Christmas tree, which is another good suggestion.

This year, DD is going to "give" DH a small Lego set.

My thought on gifts from DC to their dads is that it should be something the dad would use, but with a fun twist on it as if the DC had picked it out themselves.

brittone2
12-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Along the idea of themed ornaments, I buy DH an ornament from his alma mater each year. I thought it would be fun for him to set up a little tree in his office with the ornaments. Right now we just keep them on our tree at home.

Gracemom
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
What does your DH like to do? Mine is a board game nut, so my kids usually get one for him that they can play together (my kids are older). Does he like sports, being outdoors, etc.? I would get him something related to his interests that the kids and he can enjoy together.

SnuggleBuggles
12-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Maybe they can decorate cookies for him.

candaceb
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Are you crafty at all? There are TONS of handprint art ideas on pinterest.

something like this that he could hang in his office:
http://pinterest.com/pin/12947917649273502/

elephantmeg
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
DH usually gets DVD/blurays of some movie or show I think they'll both like. This year it's a home alone group and something else-another Christmas thing

BabyBearsMom
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I bought my MIL an iphone case with pictures of the girls on it from shutterfly and my mom a water bottle with pictures of all of the grand parents from shutterfly. They both came out great and were relatively inexpensive.

I am going to TRY to do paint hand prints from both of my girls to DH this year. If I can do it without getting covered in paint or just chickening out, I think he will love this.

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I bought my MIL an iphone case with pictures of the girls on it from shutterfly and my mom a water bottle with pictures of all of the grand parents from shutterfly. They both came out great and were relatively inexpensive.

I am going to TRY to do paint hand prints from both of my girls to DH this year. If I can do it without getting covered in paint or just chickening out, I think he will love this.

Put a splat-mat on the floor & strip the kids down to their diapers.

Use washable paint and either disposable pie plates or styrofoam dinner plates.

Make it fun & the kids will love it and the mess will be minimal.

(DD and I painted egg cartons for egg-carton flowers that DD gave as Mother's Day gifts to her great-grandmothers this year. It's the first year she's been big enough to help with a project!)

BabbyO
12-10-2012, 06:02 PM
DH is a comic book nut. He's also in Tai chi...but I have NO idea what he could use for that.

Since he works from home...no office...and we have artwork hanging all over in his "office."

One of the ideas got me to thinking I could do movie passes from Stachio. He and DH went to their first movie together last week and Stachio couldn't stop talking about it. I'm still stumped on what to give from Peanut. DH said he'd like amazon gift cards (so he could get kindle books). He already has a great cover for his kindle...doesn't have an iPhone.

I'll have to look for more comic themed ornaments...maybe they could give him one of those...

I feel so brain-dead this year when it comes to DH's gift.

liz
12-10-2012, 07:19 PM
My DH is a Star Wars nut, so the boys get him a new Hallmark ornament every year.

elektra
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I got DH a legos set from the kids. Each kid got each other a legos set and then I got one of the architecture ones for DH to be from the kids. He was mentioning that he wanted to play legos too!

He is horrible to buy for because he buys anything he needs/wants for himself.