PDA

View Full Version : Totally Dumb - How Can I Purchase Star Wars Episode IV

Kindra178
12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
We have Apple TV but we don't have Blue Ray. Any ideas? (I think I am full of dumb questions today). Thanks for your patience everyone!

AnnieW625
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Amazon, however be very very very very thorough and make sure you do not get one that has 1997 listed after it (the Amazon reviews should help a bit here). The 1997 one is not the correct version, it is the version that Lucas changed when they re released Star Wars (as well as the other two movies in 1997). I believe there was a re release of the originals within the last couple of years which should be the correct items, but I am not 100% sure. I made a mistake in 2006 and bought DH the wrong one as it turned out the originals had not been re released yet (and I thought they had). If you can't find it on DVD I think the only other way you can get it is on VHS tape and I believe those are collector's items (my brother has a set, as does my MIL).

Good luck!

Kindra178
12-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Amazon only has a Blu Ray set. The dvd sets are ridiculously priced.

AnnieW625
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Wow, those are crummy prices. At that price you could buy a new Blu Ray player and get the Blue Ray set (as long as it is the original theaterical release).

Again good luck!

mommylamb
12-10-2012, 03:18 PM

I tried to buy them for DS1's birthday last year and had the exact same experience. We also don't have a blue ray player, but it's more cost effective to buy one rather than get the original 3 movies on DVD! Not suggesting you do that, but I was floored by the price.

We were lucky in that my BIL has them on DVD and we have them on extended loan from him.

lizzywednesday
12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Amazon, however be very very very very thorough and make sure you do not get one that has 1997 listed after it (the Amazon reviews should help a bit here). The 1997 one is not the correct version, it is the version that Lucas changed when they re released Star Wars (as well as the other two movies in 1997). I believe there was a re release of the originals within the last couple of years which should be the correct items, but I am not 100% sure. I made a mistake in 2006 and bought DH the wrong one as it turned out the originals had not been re released yet (and I thought they had). If you can't find it on DVD I think the only other way you can get it is on VHS tape and I believe those are collector's items (my brother has a set, as does my MIL).

Good luck!

I just want to chime in and say that when I bought Star Wars on DVD for my DH I ended up getting the "Special Edition" ones from the '90s ... he's forgiven me for it, but we watched Ep. IV with DD a few weeks ago and the CGI additions are so jarring that it's almost difficult to concentrate on the story. (DD doesn't care so long as there's plenty of R2D2.)

elliput
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
If you want to see the original 1977 release version, you need to find an old, old, old VHS or Laserdisc copy. Everything on the market is the 1997 version with all the extra CGI crap and Han not shooting first. :irked: I think it is highly doubtful we will ever see the classic film in a current format.

psimpson3-5
12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
My sister is having the same problem. She wants the original Star Wars movies on DVD - NOT Bluray - for her son. Her son has a small tv and dvd player. She wants him to have the ability to watch the movies on his own tv. I am actually giving him DH's copies from the 90s. We have a Bluray player and DH says we will buy DS the Bluray Star Wars 1-6 set. My suggestion - look on ebay or ask your friends. Someone out there should be willing to sell a 90s version to you.

Side note - We already though of copying the movies, but DH mentioned that the movies could NOT be copied/burned due to some kind of special coding.

AnnieW625
12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
If you want to see the original 1977 release version, you need to find an old, old, old VHS or Laserdisc copy. Everything on the market is the 1997 version with all the extra CGI crap and Han not shooting first. :irked: I think it is highly doubtful we will ever see the classic film in a current format.

According to Amazon, these are the originals (however part of me is still skeptical:shake: I'll believe it when I see it).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PMLFRA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355254060&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

mommylamb
12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
According to Amazon, these are the originals (however part of me is still skeptical:shake: I'll believe it when I see it).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PMLFRA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355254060&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I don't think those are the originals because it lists them as episode IV-VI. I think if they were really untouched, it would just be I-III.

AnnieW625
12-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't think those are the originals because it lists them as episode IV-VI. I think if they were really untouched, it would just be I-III.

Episodes 1-3 are the most recent movies (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith) prequels to the originals and therefore episodes 4, 5, & 6.

Kindra178
12-11-2012, 05:05 PM

I bought this and a silly blu ray player to go with it.