PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners - help me!

marie
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I have never owned a dog, been around dogs much, etc.

And now I am the reluctant mama of a goldendoodle puppy. (DH, the sneaky bastard, sent me an email of puppy pictures while I was on a girlfriend getaway. When I got home it wasn't a done deal but let's say the train had left the station. sigh.)

DH always had dogs growing up so we aren't completely lost here re:training, etc. but I feel like there are things I'm totally clueless about.

For example: Can I ever leave the dog in the car? We went out for dinner last week and DH and DD1 went out to check on him a couple times (it's around 40 degrees here). I felt weird about it but DH is so non-chalant about this kind of thing I don't know what "normal" is and people around here leave their dogs in cars all the time.

Also, he's had some of his shots (he's 11 weeks old) but not all yet. Should I be careful about where I take him? (The vet can't see him until first week of January.)

Any other etiquette or unwritten dog owner rules I should be aware of? (I do know we need to pick up after him!)

And if you have any words of advice, please feel free to share.

Kymberley
12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't take the pup anywhere that other dogs might be until his shots are complete. I would also get a crate and crate train (this was a life saver for us when we had our boxer and lab as pups). As for leaving a dog in the car for any amount of time? I wouldn't, but that is me. A puppy can be very destructive if left alone, so be aware of how long he is by himself. And, a tired dog is a good dog. Once he's up to date on shots, I'd wear him out with walks, games of fetch (if he's into that), and other extracurricular fun. They also need mental stimulation. A Kong is a great toy/food dispenser and keeps a dog occupied and quiet for a good amount of time. Be patient, and have fun!

flashy09
12-10-2012, 04:35 PM
In 40 degree weather you can leave him in the car. He may get a little cold, but will be ok. If you can leave a blanket in there for him or put a dog blanket on him that would be nicer for him. It's really the warmer weather that is a concern.

Defintely be careful until he has his full series of shots, especially the Parvo virus.

crl
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I would avoid dog parks or other places with lots of dogs until he is fully vaccinated. I highly recommend puppy class and as long as the floor is a hard surface that can be properly cleaned, the risk of disease is very small and the pay off in terms of a well socialized and at least somewhat trained dog is worth it (my opinion, confirmed by my vet).

No help on the car as our doggie is prone to carsickness so we only take him when we really have to.

Personally, I am very bothered by off-leash dogs unless it is allowed where you are. It is illegal here, but very common. And many of the off-leash dogs come over and try to get my dog to play with them. He is on leash and I can't let go because I have a toddler along and I can't manage both of them unless the dog is on leash. (Still working on recall and I can't manage to chase down a dog and cope with a toddler, in or out of a stroller, at the same time.) So then my dog starts dancing around trying to play and I'm trying to keep everyone untangled and under control and the clueless other dog owners often don't see the problem. Just my personal rant though.

Catherine

Blue Hydrangea
12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't leave him in the car as a pup, unless he's completely house trained and is known to not chew/dig/scratch when left alone, which is a tall order for any pup!

I don't think the 40 degree temps are bad, but would be worried for my car interior, see above.

123LuckyMom
12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Treat the dog in the car the way you would a person wearing a coat, but be EXTREMELY careful about heat. In fact, just don't leave your dog in the car in the summer for even the briefest period of time-- ever. Cold is less dangerous, but if a person wearing a coat would be uncomfortable, the dog may be uncomfortable, too.

As for life at home with a dog, make sure you train your dog and allow it to have a job to do. The job may be as simple as obeying a few commands each day for a treat, but the dog needs mental exercise as well as physical exercise, just like a person! Make sure the dog knows the house rules and follows them (and make sure all the people are on the same page as to what the rules and consequences are--just like with a child). Then give your dog lots of love and mental and physical stimulation, and you'll have a wonderful time together! Enjoy!!!

ezcc
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Our dog LOVES the car, so I often take him along places like the grocery store etc and let him wait in the car (not in the summer obviously). My car is full of dog hair and eau de lab, but I think it's fine to do if your dog likes it. And I second the crate training, best thing we did.

maestramommy
12-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Lots of great advice here, good luck!:tongue5:

dogmom
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I would add to remember that some people are afraid of dogs and some dogs have aggression issues. So saying, "Oh my dog is friendly and will never bite" might be 100% true, but that doesn't help those two population groups. When I lived in the city I always made sure my dog could walk close to me, not tugging on the leash, and I always had a short leash. I hate those long leashes in public places. (Of course now that I am a country girl my dogs are hardly ever leashed and I would never take them into a crowed place without a lot of training.)

Likewise, some dogs can really freak out when a dog comes bounding at them. So I always ask if it is OK for my dog to go check out someone else's dog and I am sure to declare he is friendly or not. (My hound is friendly but needs to bark at other dogs, so it doesn't go down well with some.)

Just FYI, there are people who treat they dogs like their children. And like parents, some dogs have doggie parents that never really reprimand them and are blind to their bad behavior. You can't change them any more than you can a people parent. Just take a deep breath and move on.

marie
12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
As for life at home with a dog, make sure you train your dog and allow it to have a job to do. The job may be as simple as obeying a few commands each day for a treat, but the dog needs mental exercise as well as physical exercise, just like a person! Make sure the dog knows the house rules and follows them (and make sure all the people are on the same page as to what the rules and consequences are--just like with a child). Then give your dog lots of love and mental and physical stimulation, and you'll have a wonderful time together! Enjoy!!!

Thanks for all the advice so far! Keep it coming!

I particularly was struck by the above. I taught the dog to sit in 10 minutes one day. I couldn't believe it. I've been kind of lazy (and passive aggressive - remember this is not MY dog LOL) about doing more because I'm thinking why aren't my kids doing this stuff with him?!? and DH?!?

Puppy might be just what i need to get off my butt and moving more. :)

We have him in a crate at night. And DH works from home so pup has been "going to work" with DH during the day. So he's getting lots of love and attention throughout the day. Right now most of his activity is in the morning when DH walks him and the DDs to school.

Dogmom - I am one of those people afraid of dogs! I will definitely try to be mindful of how pup is perceived by those around us. Though we live in the country, we are walking him on a leash so he will learn how to, as well as for his safety around cars.

ChristinaLucia
12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I would get one of the Monks of New Skete dog training books. They are awesome. It lays everything out you should do. We did everything they said and my parents got a dog from the same breeder & lineage and there is a big difference!

dogmom
12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
If you have Netflix check out the Nova special about dogs. It is really informative about how dogs relate to humans and how they learn.
Here is the companion web site:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dogs/

arivecchi
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi there! I am a new dog owner myself! Congratulations!

I got pet insurance for my dog. At the recommendation of a poster here, we went through embrace and they have been great so far. I just don't ant to worry about huge unexpected medical expenses. I would also recommend investing in a high quality food. We started giving our dog a grain free kibble since she has allergies and her fur and health have improved drastically. I view that as a good investment in her health.

We are doing dog training with a trainer and that has been great. We also send our dog to doggie daycare sometimes so that she gets a lot of exercise and the opportunity to socialize with other dogs.

Some of my favorite doggie purchases so far: standing feeding dishes, dog bed from llbean, dog door from hale pet doors, leather leash and collar from bold lead designs.

Good luck!

ETA: I also found a great online board from great dane owners. You may find something similar. It's so helpful to hear from experienced owners.