PDA

View Full Version : quick help-- need stitches??

mackmama
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
How do you know if a cut needs stitches? DC got a cut on forehead above eye. Bleeding stopped (unless touch it, then bleeding starts again). No skin flap. Kind of looks like a small rectangle. Not very deep. I think it doesn't need stitches, DH is worried it might or could leave a scar. I put on antibiotic ointment and bandaid.

crl
12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't know. Can you call your ped's office for guidance? I'd hate to make an unnecessary ER trip. . . .

Catherine

ged
12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
sounds a little like a cut/gash DD2 got awhile back. We took her to the ER at the children's hospital. They cleaned it out did "butterfly stitches." No stitches at all. Just tiny bandage strips across the cut to keep it closed it and then a larger bandage over the whole thing. So, yeah, I don't think your child needs stitches. We felt pretty lame after the trip and realized we did not need to make a run for the ER for it at all.

JBaxter
12-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Does it gap? Can you post a pic I'll tell you if I would take mine ~ 4 boys so we have done a lot of stitches

mackmama
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
DC got several stitches. It was an awful experience. DC was just hysterical throughout the whole thing. We were there for hours, of course during nap time. DC is 23 months. I know people have been through much worse but, I am just totally shaken. I really hope DC is feeling better tomorrow. Now I just need to figure out how to prevent DC from removing the bandaid and pulling at the stitches. Any ideas?

tmahanes
12-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Hypafix or tegaderm tape are harder to get the ends started and I don't think a two year old could get it off. I would cover the bandage with either of those two tapes.

Hypafix looks like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CDP1I6

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Indianamom2
12-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Awww...sorry. Been there/done that with my then 16 mo. old Ds. It wasn't fun, but he doesn't even remember a thing about it.

My Ds's gash was on the side/top of his head, under the hair, so he didn't have a bandaid, just the stitches and a goopy antibiotic mess in his hair for a week or so. But even with that, he really didn't mess with it if I remember correctly.

crl
12-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Oh no, sorry it was such an ordeal. No ideas on leaving the stitches alone. :hug:

Catherine

maestramommy
12-10-2012, 10:35 PM
DC got several stitches. It was an awful experience. DC was just hysterical throughout the whole thing. We were there for hours, of course during nap time. DC is 23 months. I know people have been through much worse but, I am just totally shaken. I really hope DC is feeling better tomorrow. Now I just need to figure out how to prevent DC from removing the bandaid and pulling at the stitches. Any ideas?

:hug: Laurel had to get stitches a couple of weeks ago when she bit through her lip on the playground. Pretty much the same scenario. Screamed so loudly the ER doc and attending nurse backed away. I will bet you though that by tomorrow your DC will have forgotten the whole thing.

PZMommy
12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
My DS 1 needed to get stitches in his lip when he was 18 months old. They had to strap him down to a board and it was pretty upsetting to me. He was running around the next day, and has no memories of it. Little did I know that would be nothing compared to all of the medical procedures my DS2 would and continues to need.