PDA

View Full Version : I hate laryngitis.

gatorsmom
12-11-2012, 02:58 AM
It was inevitable. My kids all had it. I get it every time I have a cold. As I get older I notice that all my colds turn into upper-respiratory junk. And so now I have laryngitis. It is going to be hard to talk to anyone tomorrow and no one will hear me despite my stressing my vocal cords to be heard. I just hate that.

LizLemon
12-11-2012, 03:28 AM
I get the same thing, with a high likelihood of also progressing to bronchitis and/or pneumonia. It was the worst when I was pregnant. I would have no voice for a week at a time, and my job involves talking, so I would have a lot of pressure to go home.

Old wives tales say that cider vinegar helps. In my desperation when I was pregnant I tried gargling and even drinking some of the higher quality stuff. Maybe it helped a little? Saltwater gargle seemed to work better.

anonomom
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Yuck, sorry. I hope you get your voice back quickly!

Gracemom
12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
It's impossible to try to parent small kids with no voice! I get it once a year and it's miserable. My kids think it's pretty funny now that they're older. Ha ha. :rolleyes:Hope you feel better soon!

OKKiddo
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I had it a month and a half ago and I didn't listen to my Dr. to rest my voice (see the above poster about difficulty with parenting small children with no voice) and now I can't hit the high notes when I'm singing. I never thought there would really be a lasting side effect from not listening to a Dr. when he said to not talk, lol!

StantonHyde
12-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I can't imagine parenting without a voice. There would be much drinking of wine.....

Ms B
12-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Old singers' remedy -- hot water, lemon, lots of honey. Preferably with a little bourbon. Got me through my juries one year in college. :boogie:

I am more mature now, though: I view laryngitis as a perfect reason to have my receptionist tell clients that they need to communicate with me via e-mail. It really gets clients to focus on their important issues (as opposed to, say, whining about my bills after they tell me about the repairs to their expensive cars). :rotflmao:

lizzywednesday
12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Old singers' remedy -- hot water, lemon, lots of honey. Preferably with a little bourbon. ...

:yeahthat:

Or herbal tea with plenty of honey & lemon.