PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Toddler Travel Toys/activities

SoCalMommy
12-11-2012, 03:29 AM
We will be taking our first plane trip with DD in a few months and I am already thinking of what to bring to keep her busy at the airport and on the plane, etc. I would love to take advantage of the holiday sales. I don't plan on giving her anything (or even letting her see them) until we are actually on the trip since I think having "new" things will help keep her interested. She will be 2 1/2 years old when we take this trip and I don't think the plane ride is too long...maybe 3 hours or so.

Any suggestions of things that kept your DC busy? I'd love to hear about flops too. I don't want to take too much since we have to carry everything, but some favorites would be helpful.

One idea I had besides books and bringing my iPad was possibly a doodle pro or aqua doodle. Any thoughts on those (specific brands too!)? Would something like that be better than crayons and coloring books?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated....TIA

urquie
12-11-2012, 04:16 AM
An iPod touch, loaded with photos and video (of your DD and family), apps and tv shows/movies.

DD first used an iPod on a very long flight... she found the camera, figured out how to use it, then figured out how to open/close the airplane window. We had a lot of hand, feet and cloud photos. :)

Neatfreak
12-11-2012, 04:37 AM
When my littlest one was that age, stickers and an iPad/iPod Touch worked really well. Also, a few new softcover books to read.

The water element would make me skip the Aqua Doodle. It might be difficult to fill up the pen on a plane, and I wouldn't want to put a damp drawing surface in my carry-on bag.

AlbrightRC
12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Mini etch a sketch, doodle pro, magnets and magnet board, schleich animals, small books. All things I used to entertain a 2 year old. Honestly if you can get a window seat the window shade and the tray table are pretty entertaining on thier own.

vonfirmath
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
We will be taking our first plane trip with DD in a few months and I am already thinking of what to bring to keep her busy at the airport and on the plane, etc. I would love to take advantage of the holiday sales. I don't plan on giving her anything (or even letting her see them) until we are actually on the trip since I think having "new" things will help keep her interested. She will be 2 1/2 years old when we take this trip and I don't think the plane ride is too long...maybe 3 hours or so.

Any suggestions of things that kept your DC busy? I'd love to hear about flops too. I don't want to take too much since we have to carry everything, but some favorites would be helpful.

One idea I had besides books and bringing my iPad was possibly a doodle pro or aqua doodle. Any thoughts on those (specific brands too!)? Would something like that be better than crayons and coloring books?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated....TIA

The things that worked best for us, on plane trips at age 2 and at age 3:
STICKERS and a book to put them in (LOTS of these)
Doodle Pro
Snacks (Perhaps get the little cereal boxes?)
Pom pOm balls
small plastic animals (these more for cars on the plane itself)
small cars and a ball for in the airport.
A couple of picture books for looking at/reading softly to him
pipe cleaners

Crayons and coloring books got NO love from us.

Basically, I went to the dollar store and picked up quite a bit of stuff from there. That way I wouldn't care if it ended up getting lost on the trip.

BabyBearsMom
12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
When we flew with DD1 all she wanted to do was diaper her bear. I gave her a couple of DD2's unused diapers and a few tissues and she diapered and undiapered the bear about 100 times (while exclaiming "Oh bear! What did you eat! This is such a big stinky poopy! Mommy smell bear's stinky poopy, P.U.!" very loudly for the entire plane to hear :hysterical:). So something like this and a doll would be good: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3145384&searchURL=false

We also had one of those color wonder coloring books from crayola where the markers only write on the book. She was excited because I usually won't let her play with markers. I also had a sticker book for her which was good during take off and landing.

kaharris83
12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
My 2yo likes the Melissa and Doug reusable sticker books on the plane. A tablet/iPad with favorite games and shows works well too.

Seitvonzu
12-11-2012, 06:52 PM
the large medicine dispenser with novel (small) snacks--- this got me through toddler travels :)

STICKERS
thin paperback books

those "toobs" that michaels/joanns sells-- lots of themes, just pick a favorite (less than 6 dollars with a coupon)

SoCalMommy
12-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Great ideas....I never would have thought about a sticker book/stickers.

What are "toobs" from Michaels/Joann's? Don't have a clue as to what these are.

great points about the aqua doodle and going to a 99 cent store for things! :)

Please keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

mikala
12-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Toobs: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=toob%20&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

SoCalMommy
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Toobs: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=toob%20&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Ah, thank you!

mikeys_mom
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM
My twins have had the Fisher Price travel doodle pros for over 2 years and they are incredibly durable. We bring them on every trip.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3604242&prodFindSrc=prodCrossSell&refProd=12356886

Play Doh has also been a hit with my kids. I just bring one new container. As a bonus, I use it as a holder for their crayons or markers so they don't roll off the tray.

Stickers
Post-it notes - they can be used for drawing or just to peel off and stick all over. I get them at the dollar store.
A favorite doll or stuffed animal to play with.

SoCalMommy
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
How many things do you usually bring? I know a 2+ year old's attention span can be short at times, but i dont know how much is too much. And do you "hide" a few things in your carry on too?

I will probably get her a backpack so she can carry something on the plane, but not sure I want to put everything in it so I still have the element of surprise when I need it.

jam224
12-14-2012, 05:38 AM
How many things do you usually bring? I know a 2+ year old's attention span can be short at times, but i dont know how much is too much. And do you "hide" a few things in your carry on too?

I will probably get her a backpack so she can carry something on the plane, but not sure I want to put everything in it so I still have the element of surprise when I need it.

I've heard of mamas who buy several new small toys for trips and wrap each one. Then during the trip, they can unwrap one per hour (or whatever increment of time is appropriate). Sounds like a fun way to pass the time!