PDA

View Full Version : Dear California Inlaws,

Kestrel
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm glad you bought a second home near us, really I am. It makes your visits easier and longer, since you live in San Fran bay.
However, when you left in September and forgot to turn off the heat, and left a brief phone message for us to go "turn off the heat" in your house, we were a little annoyed. However, on my one day off in three weeks, I spent a couple of hours going to get faucet covers and installing them then turned the water heater down to 70 (as low as it would go) and the heat down to 45.
Three months later, you're back, inlaws. You call and b*tch at DH (your son) that I can't "follow instructions and turn the d*amn heat off". Well, if I had turned it off, as "instructed", your pipes and water heater would have FROZEN. This is Washington State, not California. We're less than an hour from Canada, and it's cold here.
Sorry I spent part of my day fixing your house. Next time, turn your car around and fix your own house. Educate yourself on winterizing.
And the reason for all of this? the QUARTERLY heating bill was $65. Much less expensive than frozen pipes, don't ya think?

StantonHyde
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Oh next year--because there will be the same issue--be sure to turn off the heat. Just like they asked. Natural consequences.

karstmama
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
ooh, tempting to just turn it off next time, isn't it??

eta - ha! evil minds think alike!

crl
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
What total PITAs!

Catherine

TwinFoxes
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Oh next year--because there will be the same issue--be sure to turn off the heat. Just like they asked. Natural consequences.

:yeahthat: And I'm a Californian, even I know pipes freeze! (I also know it's rude to swear and say someone can't follow instructions).

DietCokeLover
12-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Wow. Gratitude at its finest.

crl
12-11-2012, 11:41 PM
I think I might put $65 in a Christmas stocking along with some newspaper articles on what happens when pipes freeze and the number for a plumbing company to do the repairs next year when the pipes do freeze.

Okay, not really. But I'd think about it.

Catherine

MamaMolly
12-12-2012, 01:59 PM
:yeahthat: And I'm a Californian, even I know pipes freeze! (I also know it's rude to swear and say someone can't follow instructions).

He11 I'm from Georgia and I know about freezing pipes. I'd let them have their way next year, like the PP said, natural consequences!

123LuckyMom
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm also a supporter of natural consequences! I'll never understand ingratitude like that.

lizzywednesday
12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
My dad's pipes froze one winter weekend (we are in NJ) and the subsequent thaw actually shorted out an ENTIRE WALL CIRCUIT for their electric.

Dad hasn't had the cash to get it fixed (another b!tch for another day) and it's been almost 8 years since it happened.

I also had my pipes freeze in one of my apartments, but, fortunately, they didn't burst as it was only a short amount of time & my landlord was able to get someone out to look at them quickly.

That said ... I really like crl's idea of the $65 in the stocking along with horror tales of burst pipes & the subsequent repair costs.

StantonHyde
12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
My parents had pipes burst twice in their home while I lived there. (My dad basically refused to heat the house,,don't ask) It sucks big time!!!!

bisous
12-12-2012, 04:47 PM
They are being complete jerks. I'd ignore the comments and probably limit my help next time. Not in a mean way, but more in a way to pay someone else so "they get exactly what they want this time".

mackmama
12-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow- unbelievable and so out of line!

DualvansMommy
12-12-2012, 10:06 PM
so rude!!! i would so turn it OFF completely next year....like others said, natural consquences AND bit of karma too! :angry-smiley-005:

LizLemon
12-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Your husband must really think you are a saint to pass along that comment. I would have hit the roof!