PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat lower limits

megs4413
12-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Can someone confirm this really quickly for me? My understanding is that the recommendation for the MINIMUM requirement to be in a belt-positioning booster seat is 4 years old AND 40 lbs. Is that correct? My Dh thinks it's 4 years old, no weight limit.

My DS is nearly 6 and is hovering around 37lbs. We've kept him harnessed at all times. I will continue to keep him harnessed for a very long time (even my 7 year old is still harnessed most of the time), but my DH is wanting to start doing a HBB for short trips (for convenience's sake). I have put my foot down. He thinks I'm being a little ridiculous. HELP!?!? TIA!

o_mom
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
The limits on individual seats vary. Many highback boosters have a 30 lb lower limit. Typically I tell parents not to move until 4 years AND 40 lbs because a 30 lb, just-turned-4 yo shouldn't be in a booster and neither should a 45 lb 2 yo. A 37lb 6 yo, OTOH, I would be OK with being in a highback booster.

jjordan
12-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Besides the limits that specific manufacturers place on different boosters, there are also different minimums required by state laws. So it could be that your dh is thinking about that.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be okay with a highback booster in dh's car for the 6 year old. Make sure to get a booster that provides a good belt fit, and make sure he knows how to sit properly in it (that is, if you get one).

I'm a CPST also, if that makes any difference in how you take my post. :)

swissair81
12-13-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. My almost 6 year old DD is also about 37 lbs and in a Radian XT in my car, but a Britax Parkway (the one with LATCH) in DH's car. I will probably get another one for my car when she hits 40 lbs, so I can put my 2 year old (now in a britax boulevard) in the radian when my baby outgrows her infant seat.

Simon
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
You probably don't want to hear this, but we are also very comfortable with our 6.5 yo in a HBB even though his weight hovers and dips around 40 lbs. He started in a booster around 5.5 yo. We did make sure to get a booster that is rated down to 30 lbs and were very careful about getting a good belt fit. I do *not* think he is ready for a backless because the fit is terrible on him although I do know 7 yo kids who are in those.

ett
12-13-2012, 12:25 PM
DS2 will be 6 next month and is around 40lbs. He's still harnessed in a Frontier and Radian in mine and DH's car. He occasionally uses the Marathon in my mother's car but that will expire soon and I'm planning to get a HBB for DS2 in her car.

scrooks
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I was actually wondering the same thing. My dd is 5.5 and ~38lbs. We have maestro ready (she is still in a marathon) for DHs car but am debating between a parkway and a frontier for my car....