PDA

View Full Version : What seat next?

Ms B
12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
The Biscuit, now going on 16 months, is 33.5 inches and 28 pounds, with a very long torso. Right now he rides RF in a RA55 in DH's Toyota Avalon. We are moving the straps up to the top slot this weekend and I can see that he has only about 2.5 inches left above his head. And he is growing almost an inch a month.

I had been hoping to do ERF. However, with his height I cannot decide if it makes the most sense to just turn him in the RA when he gets too tall to RF in it, or to get a taller convertible to replace it (and then use the RA for FF in my convertible next summer on the rare occasions that he rides in it and if he still fits it; RF simply does not work in that car because of the shape of the rear seats).

I want to take advantage of any good sales that come up in the next couple weeks, so I want to figure out what to do next. I have a Radian 120 in my Toyota Highlander that will be usable for a long time, but that seat is too long for the Avalon.

TIA!!

legaleagle
12-13-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm a rf until as close to 4 as possible person, so I would definitely buy another seat. That said, if he's already at the top slots rf'ing, he's outgrown it ff'ing.

Have you tried the angle adjuster with the radian? I would be shocked if it wouldn't fit in an avalon well with the angle adjuster.

jjordan
12-14-2012, 12:30 AM
If you could post a picture, I'd be curious to see it. The straps are supposed to be at or below shoulder level when rear facing, and it would be truly something to see a 16 month old child for whom the top set of harness straps were at the correct level for rear facing.

Typically children outgrow a RA55 RF by height somewhere around 40", though the younger a child is, the longer their torso is in proportion to their overall height. So a 40" 4 year old might just be outgrowing the seat RF by height, whereas a 40" 2 year old might have already outgrown it. That said - even your very tall and long-torsoed child is likely to last RF to at least age 2, so I'd just hold off on a decision until it's closer to the time when you have to decide. My personal decision for RF is that I'll buy another seat, if necessary, to keep my kids RF to age 3, but past age 3, I turn them if they've outgrown their seat (rather than buying another seat at that point).

Joolsplus2
12-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Do you have the angle adjuster for the Radian? That would make it more upright so it would fit in the Avalon, easy (if you wanted to get a second one).
I'd also love to see a picture, I imagine the top slots would be above the shoulders, which isn't ok for RF.