PDA

View Full Version : What potato dish for Christmas Day Lunch? and weigh in on the menu please :)

kellyd
12-17-2012, 09:34 AM
We've always house hopped on Christmas Day but this year I put my foot down and decreed that the kids will be home on Christmas. My aunt, uncle, 3 cousins and brother are coming here for Christmas Lunch. I need something easy, but still "classy-ish"

I'm doing:
Warm Ham Sandwiches
Macaroni Salad
Broccoli Gratin
Relish Tray
Homemade Pierogies (if they turn out!)
Potato Dish??

My kids are mashed potato kids... but those don't feel right to me w/ Sandwiches

I was thinking about the cheesy potatoes made w/ hash browns, sour cream, cream of soup, onion and cheese... but my kids won't eat them so I'd be making tater tots or something for them. Which I could do especially since I doubt my children are going to stop playing long enough to eat unless I tie them to their chairs...

Whatever I do I really need to be able to make it up a day ahead so I just have to bake it that morning. I want to be able to pull all my dishes out of the fridge put together an hour or so before we eat so they can heat and be ready to go w/ minimal fuss from me! :)

mom2khj
12-17-2012, 09:39 AM
We like these:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/perfect-potatoes-au-gratin/

wellyes
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Pierogies are the perfect potato dish!

brittone2
12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
My mom makes amazing, amazing potato salad...she only does it like 2x a year, and my siblings LOVE when it is on the table :) So with your menu, we'd do that. But I wouldn't do mediocre potato salad ;)

I despise most potato salad, don't like the sweeter or more vinegary varieties, but hers is goooooood (she adds crumbled bacon, hard boiled eggs, etc. and it is delish, I have told her for years she should open a deli as people would drive for miles just for that potato salad!).

kellyd
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Pierogies are the perfect potato dish!
I agree, but I've never made them before. Usually my aunt buys them from the ladies at her church... but I don't have time to get them before Christmas from her, and she's over an hour away so I can't have her bring them since no one will want to wait for them to cook lol.

We like these:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/perfect-potatoes-au-gratin/
oh that sounds SUPER good, and my kids would eat those!

My mom makes amazing, amazing potato salad...she only does it like 2x a year, and my siblings LOVE when it is on the table :) So with your menu, we'd do that. But I wouldn't do mediocre potato salad ;)

I despise most potato salad, don't like the sweeter or more vinegary varieties, but hers is goooooood (she adds crumbled bacon, hard boiled eggs, etc. and it is delish, I have told her for years she should open a deli as people would drive for miles just for that potato salad!).

I need more info on this! LOL!!! The kids don't eat mayo-y salads so that's why I'm not making both mac and potato... but this sounds good enough that I may just need to make a small amount anyway!! I usually make my potato salad w/ potato, lil onion, egg, salt, pepper, celery salt and miracle whip. What else do I need to add (besides the bacon) or change to try and mimic your moms? :)

Thanks everyone!! :)

KLD313
12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I make scalloped potatoes every Christmas, suoeryper easy but good. Thinly slice the potatoes, butter the bottom of a ceramic dish, chop up some garlic and put it on first, then a layer of potatoes and a little nutmeg, salt and pepper. Then pour heavy cream to cover and just keep doing that. Bake at 350 til potatoes are done.

brittone2
12-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I need more info on this! LOL!!! The kids don't eat mayo-y salads so that's why I'm not making both mac and potato... but this sounds good enough that I may just need to make a small amount anyway!! I usually make my potato salad w/ potato, lil onion, egg, salt, pepper, celery salt and miracle whip. What else do I need to add (besides the bacon) or change to try and mimic your moms? :)

Thanks everyone!! :)

she adds a few teaspoons of bacon grease. Yep. I said it ;) No miracle whip, just regular Hellman's mixed with mustard. She cooks the potatoes w/ the skin on and peels afterward (insists this gives better flavor). She adds in onion and hardboiled egg, and crumbled, cooked, real bacon. Not sure if she uses celery...I am 99% sure she does not. All I know is that one of my brothers and my niece and I can all make it, but hers is the bomb.

THe weird thing is that it isn't *that* different on paper, but the execution is out of this world! I can make it, but hers is much, much better :)

People literally beg for it :) I don't know what it is!

MMMommy
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Pascal Potatoes are always a hit in our house and for potlucks. We use way more garlic than the recipe amount. Probably half a bulb of garlic

http://m.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Kathleens-Potatoes-Pascal-109456