PDA

View Full Version : How do I get shoes on this child?

anonomom
12-17-2012, 03:27 PM
DH is 15 months. He loves his shoes and wants to wear them all the time, but he's just about outgrown them. I've been shoe shopping with him for the last week, and he wants absolutely no part of new shoes. At Stride Rite, I could get the new shoes on him, but he took two steps, sat down and asked me to take them off. I figured he just didn't like how they felt, but it was the same story at three other stores today. He either would kick his feet so I couldn't put the shoes on him, or he'd agree to try them on but wouldn't actually walk in them.

Not sure how to proceed here. I never in a million years thought a 15-month-old would have an opinion on shoes, but I swear this kid does. Any ideas for convincing him to give new shoes a chance?

brittone2
12-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Is he transitioning to a firmer sole? Like more of a real shoe vs. something like Robeez? I know some Stride Rites tend to push too much sole too soon IME, or at least they did when DS1 and DD were younger.

Tondi G
12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
My boys were the same way. I had to buy the same shoes he already owned just a size up ... took them home and said nothing... just put them on his feet when it was time to head out the door.

BDKmom
12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
My boys were the same way. I had to buy the same shoes he already owned just a size up ... took them home and said nothing... just put them on his feet when it was time to head out the door.

We are on the 4th pair of the exact same shoes here. They are discontinued now, so not sure what we will do when this last pair doesn't fit anymore.

mytwosons
12-17-2012, 03:43 PM
DS1 started in Merrell Jungle Mocs (after Robeez) and refused any other shoe for several years. I just went with it. At least I could buy shoes ahead on sale...had no idea when he'd reach that size, but I was pretty sure he'd wear them eventually.

And, I finally tried Merrells to see what all the fuss was about. I had to agree with him - they are really comfy!

crl
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
We had four or five pairs of the exact same shoe a size up in a row for ds. And then I would have to hide the old ones and tell him he had to wear the new ones if he wanted to go outside. He really, really, really wanted to go outside (still does) so it was sufficient motivation. He was a little bit older--maybe 20 months--so he may have understood that bribe a little better.

Catherine

Momit
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
We also buy the exact same shoes in multiple sizes. Seems to work!

anonomom
12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
He has three pairs of shoes right now (one pair of soft Robeez, a pair of sneakeroos and a pair of Weesqueaks), and he wears them happily. The Stride-Rites I had him try were definitely bigger and heavier than anything he's had before, so I assumed that was the issue. After today, I'm not sure. He definitely cares what the shoes look like, as he agreed to try on a pair of sneakers with monsters on them at Crazy8. But they're not easy-on, so he got mad and started to fight.

I'm wondering whether it's being in the store (and therefore thinking he has a choice) that's the problem. I may have to try buying shoes without trying them on him first and seeing if he'll wear them if they're already in the house.

AngB
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm wondering whether it's being in the store (and therefore thinking he has a choice) that's the problem. I may have to try buying shoes without trying them on him first and seeing if he'll wear them if they're already in the house.

Good idea. DS is 20 months and I've always just bought shoes and tried on at home after guessing in store, DS is pretty opinionated about stuff but we've never had a shoes issue.

OKKiddo
12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
With my older son he perceived his shoes as part of him. If he saw me trying to take "his" shoes off and put the new ones on even to try them on he would throw a huge tantrum. I would find the next size up of the same shoe and the same thing would still happen. So, I'd buy the larger size, let him have a nap and while he was sleeping I'd swap them out. Never an issue with his shoes if I did it while he was asleep. He finally outgrew that stage when we figured out we could put new shoes on him and then throw a soft ball and let him run around to get it--thereby making the new shoes "his" because he would forget about them in favor of playing with the ball.

Swirvin
12-18-2012, 05:36 AM

If this is the case, can you order them online? My kids love getting mail so maybe if he gets to open a package especially sent to him, he may feel differenlty about the shoes. So many places offer free returns so if it doesn't work out you can always send them back.

anonomom
12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
It's worth a shot, at least.

I realized yesterday a part of why he's my first kid with this problem -- he's always trying to steal his sisters' sparkly shoes. Boy shoes aren't sparkly. I wonder if my girls would have been similarly obstreperous if they hadn't had so many cute shoes to try.

elephantmeg
12-18-2012, 09:05 AM
DS only likes the soft, flexible shoes-he wears these
http://www.zappos.com/tsukihoshi-kids
but only in certain styles that are now not made, lol.

123LuckyMom
12-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I love the idea of having the shoes delivered-- even wrapped like a present. I would write a card that calls them his big boy shoes and have them be a gift from someone (or the shoe fairy). I'd definitely make them special in decoration. My DS is CRAZY for light up shoes. Explain to him that now that he's a big boy, he gets to wear "clunky" shoes ( or some similar word). Just make it like it's a special thing he now gets to do because he's older. And tell everyone to comment on the shoes when they see them. He'll become very proud of them.

mackmama
12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
So smart to buy the same shoe in diff sizes! DC doesn't mind new vs old shoes- but I have a hard time keeping ANY shoes on! DC always removes one or both shoes in the stroller and tosses them over the side. We've lost so many shoes this way and have many single shoes now that just sit in the closet.

anonomom
12-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Just updating -- I bought DS a pair of pediped flex shoes and tried to put them on him this morning, matter-of-factly, just like I was putting on his old shoes (which I put away).

Massive fail. He fought me the entire time I was putting them on (only managed to get one on him), then sat on the floor and screamed at me to take them off. I left them for about five minutes, until his tries to get them off himself became too frantic and I was afraid he'd hurt himself.

Not quite sure what to do know. I guess I could buy another pair of the snearkeroos, but they're grossly overpriced for poor quality (I got the current pair off of Zulily).

LizLemon
12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Just updating -- I bought DS a pair of pediped flex shoes and tried to put them on him this morning, matter-of-factly, just like I was putting on his old shoes (which I put away).

Massive fail. He fought me the entire time I was putting them on (only managed to get one on him), then sat on the floor and screamed at me to take them off. I left them for about five minutes, until his tries to get them off himself became too frantic and I was afraid he'd hurt himself.

Not quite sure what to do know. I guess I could buy another pair of the snearkeroos, but they're grossly overpriced for poor quality (I got the current pair off of Zulily).

Wow. I just had a very similar experience! Bought my my 14-month-old daughter a pair of pedipeds and a pair See Kai Runs from Zappos, because I wanted her to have some actual shoes to go with her holiday wear. Slipped them on her while she was having a snack. Was not expecting a reaction, as she is a very even-tempered child in general, but she had a fit! Major tears and unhappiness! I don't know what I'm going to do. I guess we are limited to a choice of Hanna Mocs and barefoot? :shrug:

indigo99
12-21-2012, 07:26 PM
DS2 found some shoes in the closet one day and carried them around for hours, loving on them. When I actually tried to put them on his feet (I think he's about to grow into them and out of his current pair anyway), he kicked and refused. They're sitting by the door, and he'll point and "talk" about them with me. He still won't let me put them on him though.

With him, I'm not really surprised. He refuses to let me put pants on him most days. This morning he actually put on pants and then refused a shirt until I insisted (made him cry and scream). Of course, after the next diaper change, he refused to put pants back on so he's been pantless most of the day.

bisous
12-21-2012, 08:31 PM
You know, I don't have an answer for you. I have a VERY opinionated 15 month old and it took awhile for him to wear his shoes (Stride Rite) but he's there now. What helped us is lots of time without shoes followed by brief stints WITH shoes (like at the playground with lots of little kids--he LOVES this and can be more easily distracted). It was easier for us because it was the summer time (well Fall but it is warm here then). Now he LOVES his shoes!

I'm reading "Raising your spirited child" and "The explosive child" right now because I am STUMPED by his behavior most of the time. Just commiserating with you!

anonomom
12-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks, all. I finally did get them on him. What worked? I sat him down on the stairs and said he couldn't go outside and play with bubbles if he didn't wear the shoes. Darned if he didn't stick his little feet in the air immediately. Color me flabbergasted that a kid his age responded to logic (my older ones barely do now!)

This kid humbles me every single day.