PDA

View Full Version : Another Minecraft question...

SASM
12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I looked up Minecraft in Google Play as a possible app for DS's new tablet, however, it is rated as "medium maturity" and was blocked out of the search on the device due to my "everyone/all ages" setting. There is no description as to why it was rated this way. Before I buy this, can anyone tell me why it has this rating?? I thought it was just about building a city, etc. Thank you!!!

ETA link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mojang.minecraftpe&hl=en

Also, the gift cards sold in stores are just for the laptop/desk top version, correct? How does this vary from the pocket version on the iPods and tablets? My hope is that the $6.99 app is just that...$6.99 with no other financial commitment or in-app purchasing options. Yikes.

TIA!!!

o_mom
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
My guess is that because there is some mild 'killing' of monsters, but they just evaporate, no blood, etc. No worse than Lego video games, IMO.

Minecraft is generally considered a one-time purchase - no in-app purchases that I am aware of. The cards in stores are the computer version, not the pocket/mobile version.

This might help:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/mobile-app-reviews/minecraft-pocket-edition

bisous
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
We're wading into the world of minecraft here. Our neighbors LOVE this game--both the 5 year old and the 10 year old. The mom over there told me that because the game is "connected" (I'm probably not using the right term) but because you play against other people, you can actually link to other people's youtube videos, etc. I'm not sure I understand it completely. She was warning her boys not to go to youtube with mine because some of the adults that play the game use explicit language. That's one thing that has been made known to me...

o_mom
12-17-2012, 05:41 PM
We're wading into the world of minecraft here. Our neighbors LOVE this game--both the 5 year old and the 10 year old. The mom over there told me that because the game is "connected" (I'm probably not using the right term) but because you play against other people, you can actually link to other people's youtube videos, etc. I'm not sure I understand it completely. She was warning her boys not to go to youtube with mine because some of the adults that play the game use explicit language. That's one thing that has been made known to me...

The computer version does have an online mode, but you can play without that (not multi-player, though unless you are all on the same wi-fi). There is potential for chat with unknown adult players and that is a concern. You can also rent private server space (or set up your own server) and restrict who is on there. We are exploring this as an option down the road for DS1 and friends.

The pocket version does not have online, other than wi-fi, so it would only be against people you have on your local network. So, a friend with a ipod/ipad could come over and play with you (you both see each other in the world), but not over the internet.

SASM
12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
The computer version does have an online mode, but you can play without that (not multi-player, though unless you are all on the same wi-fi). There is potential for chat with unknown adult players and that is a concern. You can also rent private server space (or set up your own server) and restrict who is on there. We are exploring this as an option down the road for DS1 and friends.

The pocket version does not have online, other than wi-fi, so it would only be against people you have on your local network. So, a friend with a ipod/ipad could come over and play with you (you both see each other in the world), but not over the internet.

THANK YOU...this is very reassuring! A good $6.99 purchase as opposed to the laptop version. We live in an area that is VERY behind the times. I highly doubt that DS has even heard of Minecraft so I think the pocket version will be plenty. ;)

THANK YOU all!!!