PDA

View Full Version : How did school go today?

Mikey0709
12-17-2012, 05:46 PM
So my best friend just picked up her kids from school - and they were on lockdown. Grades 1-2 were released ONLY to parents by the principal and a cop at one door, and grades 2-4 were released by another cop and vice-principal at a different door. This is a pretty small suburban elementary school grades K-4.

Then i turn on the news - and another local high school was on lockdown cause they thought a kid had a gun, and it was an umbrella slung over his shoulder.

I guess if i didn't plan on telling my kids - maybe I should.

FYI - - we are in the Philly surburbs.

katydid1971
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
My DS isn't home yet (west coast) but I volunteer in the classroom and with a few exceptions where they have tightened security and locked doors that use to left open it felt like any other day. The biggest thing on the kids minds at DS's school is Christmas and Santa. (2nd grade)

SASM
12-17-2012, 05:58 PM
East Coast here. I was a mess dropping them off but all was well. DS knew about the circumstances (overheard it on the radio and wanted to listen on Friday). No mention at all from the kids at pick up. I assume the teachers did not discuss matters with my 2nd and 4th graders, which is fine by me. They do not need to be stressed out about school. Security did not seem any different than the norm, other than the early running club kids being let in by the gym teacher through a locked door.

anamika
12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Just got a lovely email from DD's teacher about how things went today in class. One kid asked her if she knew about it and she said she did and asked if they wanted to talk about it. But they didn't so she went ahead as usual. She also wrote that they painted and it was great to see them being kids and laughing.

I cried a little when I read that. I am lucky that DD has such wonderful teachers in her life!!

Entry to school procedures have been changed but otherwise nothing else.

OKKiddo
12-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I got a call early saying my son was sick--so I can't say how pick up security, or lack of, would have looked like. However, when I signed him out I was required to have my ID even though they knew who I was, and when I got home there was a district wide email in regards to CT and a local review of security.

citymama
12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Everything was the same as usual. Nothing different. Neither teacher nor principal said a word about the Newtown tragedy. I found it oddly comforting and yet really strange for them to act like it never happened.

georgiegirl
12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Everything seemed pretty normal. I volunteered today, and a maintenance guy was inspecting all of the non-main entry doors. When waiting for dd to come out at the end of the day, I did see a cop driving around. Dd (who didn't know about things) seemed happy when I picked her up and didn't mention anything. We did get an email from the principal yesterday saying they weren't going to address it with students (since they know many parents didnt want to tell their kids), but would be there to talk to kids who had questions, concerns, reassurance, etc.

crl
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Really glad I told ds as they did discuss it in class today. He came home with more details than I had given him.

Catherine

ETA. No changes to security.

s7714
12-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Thankfully no events around here, but my 4th grader asked me if I wanted to know why the school was keeping the gates locked now. (We opted not to tell the kids.) I told her I already knew and asked if she had any questions. She didn't, but of course my 2nd grader hadn't heard a thing so wanted to why.

Their reactions are pretty much what I expected for my kids, and I explained why we opted not to tell them. I asked if something like that happens in the future do they want us to tell them or no. My 4th grader wants to know and my 2nd grader said to please not tell her anything like that.

ETA: The topic was brought up by both classmates and teachers in the 4th grade.

hillview
12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
uneventful, thankfully. No one at school talked about it.

Twoboos
12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Nothing went on that I heard of. I kept kind of circling around asking them if they heard anything when they got home from school. Nothin'.

I talked to a mom of some boys on the bus - they know about it so we were saying if my DDs find out, it's likely from her kids. ;) We'll see.

I was volunteering in the library today. I was alone (no students, I was just re-shelving books) and took a good long look around to see where I could go or send kids if something happened. THAT was a weird thought process.