PDA

View Full Version : Would you send your child to a gymnastics class that went up to their bedtime?

ourbabygirl
12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
(poll coming)

Our swimming session is coming to an end, and I'm not going to sign up the kids again until March, when the weather warms up more (so we don't have to all go out & freeze our hair :)).
I'd like the kids to still do something active and have a class to look forward to each week, so I'm thinking gymnastics. Unfortunately, the evening class is really late- 6:45-7:30.

If your kids' bedtimes were in the 7-7:30 time range, would you still sign them up for this class (that meets once a week)? Or would it be a deal breaker for you/ your family? FWIW, our swimming class meets from 6-6:30, so we usually get home around 7 after getting changed into jammies & driving home.

And would your answer be different for a 2 year old versus a 4 year old?

Thanks!

kellij
12-17-2012, 07:02 PM
I did that last year with dance and it was a negative experience. I wouldn't do it again. It just made everything too hard the next day, plus she would get fussy as it was time to go to dance too.

Melaine
12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I would consider it for my 6 year olds...but for 4, no way in the world. For 2, REALLY no way in the world.

ETA: I should clarify that we are really rigid about bedtimes, pretty much because our kids seem to need that consistency. We have never really pushed back bedtime regularly with only a few exceptions.

scrooks
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
My dd took gymnastics from 7:00-7:45 from 3.5-5. She did ok with it but she was a napper until she was 5 so that really helped her. Now that my 3 year old goes too we go from 6-6:45 and I think that is much better for him (he isn't much of a napper). I think it really depends on the kid and fwiw we aren't super strict with bedtimes. They flex a bit at our house.

wellyes
12-17-2012, 07:09 PM
My kids are always famished after gymnastics (4 & 2). Even if it's just a snack, factor in an addition 45 minutes to prep, eat, then wind down.

crl
12-17-2012, 07:16 PM
My kids would not do well with an activity at that time of day at those ages. They would have a hard time listening, participating, etc. And then bedtime would be tough because they would be wound up. So I would skip it.

Catherine

AnnieW625
12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
DD2's mom n me gym class was from 6:15 to 7 and it worked out fine for her. She was in bed by 8 pm if she wasn't completely asleep in the car already and we could put her to bed. We would eat a snack (apple, carrots, cereal bar, etc.) and watch Sesame Street on You Tube or play games on my phone while waiting for DD1 to be done with her class, which was over at 7:30. There were some nights where she would want more food when we got home like a sandwich or cereal and she still went to bed fine.

This time slot was actually harder for DD1 as she was tired after spending a whole day at school and after school care.

We ended up switching to Saturday AM, but I really miss DD2's teacher she is quite good and even DD2 talks about her a lot.

Seitvonzu
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
i'm taking my nearly 5 year old to make-up ballet tomorrow at 4:30pm and am already dreading it ;) so you can bet i voted "no, not for my 4 year old" :)

fwiw -- my child is EXTREMELY gogogogogo--but i don't like late activities that require lots of structure.

anonomom
12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
This is a timely post. I just turned down an opening in a gymnastics class we'd been waitlisted for, because it would have meant moving my 3 and 7 yos to a class that ended at 6:30 pm. With DD1 leaving for school at 7am, I feel like the late class doesn't give us enough time for dinner/bath/bed at a decent hour.

I'm learning as my kids get older that our evening routine is very important to me. A class would have to be beyond spectacular for me to be willing to disturb it.

hellokitty
12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
No, not for a child under age 6. DS1 who's almost 9 and DS2 who's 7 now go to the more advanced martial arts class and it runs close to their bedtime, but we deal with it. However, I wouldn't have bothered with it for a 2 or 4 yr old. Too big of a headache, not worth it, IMO.

hillview
12-17-2012, 08:48 PM
No way. Even for my 7 year old that would be a stretch. DS2 (5) goes to bed at 630 and is usually asleep by 7 pm.

Fairy
12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I am militant about bedtime. I think sleep is a huge key factor in many things. No class at age 4 and especially age 2 is worth missing bedtime for in my mind.

niccig
12-17-2012, 08:57 PM
My kids are always famished after gymnastics (4 & 2). Even if it's just a snack, factor in an addition 45 minutes to prep, eat, then wind down.

:yeahthat: DS had late practice when did 2 week trial on gymnastic team and he was famished.

ourbabygirl
12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Everyone. I guess I figured it wouldn't work, but thought maybe I was being unreasonable and a lot of other parents do evening activities, or why would they even hold the classes that late?
DD (4) doesn't nap anymore, but she will nap on swim or other activity nights because I tell her she'll be too tired for class, otherwise. I know that a lot of 4 and 5 year olds have dance class in the evening, so I thought this might be similar. I would be more willing to do it if DD napped every day still, and if she woke up later in the morning, but the last week or so she's been waking up on her own anywhere between 5:45 and 6:30, so it gets to be a looooong day. (She doesn't go to day care, so she doesn't need to be up early for any reason.)

Anyhow, I guess we'll pass on this one. Thanks for chiming in! :thumbsup:

TwinFoxes
12-17-2012, 09:46 PM
We had one session of our swim class at 6pm once. Nightmare. Hyped up, over-tired kiddos. Never again. *shudder* They were almost 4, and not in preschool then, FWIW.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-17-2012, 10:33 PM
If I was still a SAHM, i would do it. Especially for a 4yo. My kids, even at age 2, had bedtimes of around 9, so it was no biggie to be out that late. If they went to sleep at 930 they would often wake as late as 9am, so it was nice for me too. But my kids were used to being up late. Now that i work though, they are usually in bed by 8:15 and ds often wakes at 630. i don't think i could do a class that late, on regular basis. We are actually taking a break from swimming class for a few months as the kids adjust, and even that is from 5-5:45, and it still makes evenings a little crazy.

Kindra178
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I voted yes because I did it, both over the summer and up until a couple of weeks ago. It was ok, but not great. They were super tired and maybe not the best listeners during class. It also made them tired all day on Friday, which sometimes resulted in some behavior issues at home. The winter made it harder because it was dark coming home.

maestramommy
12-17-2012, 10:46 PM
We're pretty rigid with our bedtimes (7:15ish), but starting in January they will be taking an art class every 3rd Friday of the month. And it ends at 8:00. That is really late for my kids, so this is highly experimental. It's held at a local church, and the director is a very well-liked mom who has a 3yo. She told me 3 wasn't too young as I wasn't sure about Laurel. But we shall see. At least the next day is Saturday, and all they have is ballet at 9:30. And it's only once a month.

There is no way I would sign them up for a weekday class that went over into bedtime. Heck, there's no way I'd sign them up for a class that started after 5. That's dinner, and then it's the homeward stretch to bedtime.

fauve01
12-17-2012, 10:47 PM
My DD just turned 9, and i wouldn't do it even though she's older. she needs her sleep! Lights out at 8pm. occasionally she stays up later on Fri or Sat (like 30 minutes later), but not evey weekend. and the later usually means in her bed reading later than the usual not out and about.

i certainly wouldn't do a weekday late nite class.