PDA

View Full Version : Scrambling for Teacher Gifts

anonomom
12-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Up until Friday, I'd thought we were doing group gifts for DD1's teachers, but it turns out we're not. So now I'm trying to figure out teacher gifts.

I have a set of really nice Bodum glass coffee mugs that I bought with the idea of giving them to DD's teachers last year (but then we ended up doing a group gift). I think I might pack them with a container of TJ's sipping chocolate and a box of sea salt caramel cookies, and include a note to the effect that she deserves a treat. Does that sound ok?

I'm still stuck on DD1's TA. I don't have another set of the mugs, but I did buy her the chocolate and cookies. Should I/could I pair them with a Target gift card? I usually hate doing GCs as part of an individual present, but I guess I could in this case. How much is a reasonable amount for a TA who is shared with another classroom?

♥ms.pacman♥
12-17-2012, 10:11 PM
i am probably going to do Target GCs for each teacher (4 total, there are 2 per kids classroom)..at $10 each. They've only been there 3 weeks, so that is part of the reason i am slacking a little.

I think chocolate and cookies with a GC sounds awesome.

Aishe
12-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Honestly I would just give gift cards. They'll be happy to get anything, but they'll be especially happy to pick out exactly what they want/need.

hillview
12-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Honestly I would just give gift cards. They'll be happy to get anything, but they'll be especially happy to pick out exactly what they want/need.

:yeahthat:

carolinamama
12-17-2012, 10:46 PM

KrisM
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I'd do gift cards. I bought $10 or $20 gift cards for Target for all teachers. A total of 14, I think. I wasn't sure who DS1 and DD would like to include this year, so I bought enough to cover a bunch and figure I'll just use any that are left over.

vonfirmath
12-18-2012, 10:33 AM

I am giving a $10 gift card and a card my son made.

Pinky
12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
We are doing gift cards wrapped inside the Tervis Tumblers (that I got on a deal last year). We do $25 each, but only give them to her two main teachers. (preschool/daycare)

kerridean
12-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I would not do mugs, cups, or water bottles of any kind. Teachers get TONS of these every year and they have to give them away. Every parent thinks they are the only one doing the "candy in a mug/glass/water bottle" thing. Trust me...my mom is teacher. GIFT CARDS....ALWAYS!!!!

minnie-zb
12-18-2012, 01:51 PM

daisymommy
12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Okay, add me to the list of last minute scramblers. What kind of giftcard and how much? DH is going to hit the roof when I tell him we have yet MORE gifts to buy...$10? $20?

We have several Targets here, a Barnes and Noble 20 minutes away, Starbucks, and the shopping mall.

PZMommy
12-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Speaking as a teacher, you can't go wrong with a Target gift card. I think a $10 or $15 one would be fine. We did $20 for my DS preschool teacher because she is so great with him, and then $20 each for both of my DS2 daycare teachers. I wish we could have afforded more for them. He has numerous medical issues and they go above and beyond with his care.

Tinkerbell313
12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I do Target gift cards...DD has her home room teacher(who teaches their science and social studies) as well as a math teacher and a literacy teacher. They each get $15 dollars. She sees those teachers each once a day with spending most time with the homeroom teacher.

DS has his home room teacher. His math/literacy teacher is a different teacher. They each get $15 dollars.

All resource teachers (music/computers/art/PE) get $10 in one gift card from both kids except for the librarian which gets $20 because she uses the target card to go out and buy a book to donate to the school library. I rather her not use her money. She puts a book plate in the book dedicating it to DD and DS.

The bus driver gets $10. We only take the bus to school in the AM twice a week. The rest of time I drive them to school.

pastrygirl
12-18-2012, 05:36 PM
How/when do you give the gift cards? Send them in your kid's backpack? I've never done gifts like this, but am moved to do it this year.

hellokitty
12-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I'd do a BN GC. This way, if they need a book for school, they can get it there, or if they want to buy a book for themselves or some starbucks, they can use it that way too.

KrisM
12-18-2012, 06:51 PM
How/when do you give the gift cards? Send them in your kid's backpack? I've never done gifts like this, but am moved to do it this year.

I buy a box of Christmas cards and send them in the card on the day of the class party.

MelissaTC
12-18-2012, 09:51 PM
We just went in on the group gifts. For M's band teacher (who is just awesome), I bought a Starbucks gc. I got the school secretary (another awesome peep) a lip gloss ornament from Sephora and added in some Lindt truffles and cocktail flavored Jelly Bellies. We are very friendly and she does good by my kiddo.

maestramommy
12-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I've always done Target GC in the past. This year I bought them coffee that's micro-roasted by a local friend of mine and soooo good. And I added some home-baked cookies. I usually pair the cookies with the larger gift. '

I think what you have is fine, and adding the GC would be great too!

Today I sent Dora and Arywn with their teacher gifts. They were in gift bags, and I trusted they were responsible enough to handle getting it to the right people. They spent a lot of time yesterday making the cards and wrapping the presents (Arwyn even made little tags for hers) so I figured they should have the privilege of delivery. Laurel's I handed to the teacher that got her out of the car at pickup. The bus driver will get hers tomorrow. I gave her cookies and a $10 GC plus mug to DD.

KDsMommy
12-18-2012, 10:07 PM
I am giving a $25 Amex gift card to DS' teacher, and $10 Target gc to his aftercare counselor.

I'm room mom and we are doing a $50 Amex gift card as a class gift. I'm finished working now for the holiday break, so I'll pick up a pretty gc holder for each of them.

SASM
12-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Gift cards!! I am gifting Vera Bradley only bc I got a good deal and I know 2 of the teachers like it, plus I know their fave colors. One teacher is getting a GC to her fave store. I try to give GC's every chance that I get bc I TRULY appreciate them as gifts myself. Making salted caramels for each teacher and will hopefully get handmade cards from each of the kids. Done!

pastrygirl
12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Argh. Different bus driver today, so my husband took her gift with him to work instead of letting my son take it to school! Now I have to go pick it up from him and take it to school...

ShayleighCarsensMom
12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I stumbled upon 6 packs of cyclamen plants at Costco yesterday. $12 for a 6 pack, paired it with a Lindt chocolate bar and wrapped it in a nice bag.
We had almost 20 to buy for so this was a nice economical way to do it.

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
12-21-2012, 12:50 PM
I just went to the bank this morning and got Visa gift cards with no additional charge. Someone mentioned this in another thread, and I'm so grateful! I hate paying for the privilege of giving money! Anyway, the lowest denomination you can do is $25, so that might be a bit much. I got one for each of DS's preschool teachers from this year and last year when I was sidelined and couldn't do gifts. I'll be giving them today with heartfelt cards. Honestly, the teachers always seem to treasure the cards the most! It's a tough job that they do, and I think knowing that someone really appreciates them and credits them with helping to shape children in positive ways means a lot to them.