PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland area hotels that aren't "kid-centered"?

lalasmama
12-17-2012, 10:19 PM
SO knows, and sweetly deals with, my Disney obsession. A few weeks ago, he said he wanted to go to Disneyland for our honeymoon. I love kid-free trips to DL, and it will likely be the only time we go as a couple.

Originally, we were planning to stay at the Fairy Tale Suite at DL Hotel, but I said I would rather stay another day or two at a cheap hotel than to only stay 1 night at the Fairy Tale Suite.

Obviously, hotels around (walking distance) DL are kid-centric. Anyone know of any hotels that aren't so "kiddy"?

MMMommy
12-18-2012, 12:04 AM
We really like staying at the Hyatt Orange County for our Disneyland trips. We do go with the kids when we stay there, but it isn't overwhelmingly "kiddie". They have nice suites, and if you can book the Suites on Sale offer (which they usually have), the savings is significant. The hotel is kid-friendly and a lot of Disney visiting families stay there, but I don't consider it overly juvenile.

mytwosons
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
We really like staying at the Hyatt Orange County for our Disneyland trips. We do go with the kids when we stay there, but it isn't overwhelmingly "kiddie". They have nice suites, and if you can book the Suites on Sale offer (which they usually have), the savings is significant. The hotel is kid-friendly and a lot of Disney visiting families stay there, but I don't consider it overly juvenile.

We will be in the LA area for a week in Feb and are seriously considering staying at the Hyatt. They have a 25% off sale ending tonight...I didn't see the Suites on Sale offer - what's a good rate?

Do you think it's a good hotel to serve as a home base? We plan to do other things besides Disney, although nothing besides air is finalized yet.

Did you use the shuttle or just drive? Did the shuttle leave early enough for extra magic hours? Was planning on renting a car from LAX for a week, but hate to pay for parking...might be worth it though if we do driving other than to the parks. Do you happen to know how much it is to park at Disney?

Any other tips? Good places to eat?

Thanks!

MMMommy
12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
We will be in the LA area for a week in Feb and are seriously considering staying at the Hyatt. They have a 25% off sale ending tonight...I didn't see the Suites on Sale offer - what's a good rate?

Do you think it's a good hotel to serve as a home base? We plan to do other things besides Disney, although nothing besides air is finalized yet.

Did you use the shuttle or just drive? Did the shuttle leave early enough for extra magic hours? Was planning on renting a car from LAX for a week, but hate to pay for parking...might be worth it though if we do driving other than to the parks. Do you happen to know how much it is to park at Disney?

Any other tips? Good places to eat?

Thanks!

Use this link: http://orangecounty.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-orangecounty/index.jsp?hyattprop=yes

Then click on "Special Offers" on the left hand side. The list of offers should come up, including the "Suites on Sale."

With the Suites on Sale offer, we've gotten the Kids Suite for as low as $129/night. Our Kids' Suite prices have ranged from $129 to $150 or so with the Suites on Sale pricing. We booked the two bedroom suite for the time around New Years for $229 a night, which sounds expensive, but it is BIG. Two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, and a living room. Compared to the Disney's Grand Californian, that is a steal for what you get.

We do use the shuttle to get to and from the Hyatt to Disneyland. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes and is convenient. It used to be free. Now, the shuttle costs $3 per adult per day, and children are free.

We had special season passholder early entry for both Disneyland and California Adventures in August (a summer early entry special for passholders), and the shuttle was running an hour earlier than usual. In fact, we were the only ones on the shuttle those two mornings. I remember being concerned about that and being prepared to drive to take advantage of the early access in case the shuttle wasn't running. But it was running early for us those days, and we did get to the park before they opened for the early entry. Be sure to check with the front desk about the shuttle on your early entry dates, just to be safe.

The two negatives for the Hyatt is the shuttle fee (which isn't bad, considering parking is more expensive), and you do have to pay for self or valet parking.

We hate eating in the Disney parks for dinner b/c we don't like the food very much. So we do venture out and make a point to eat very yummy Korean BBQ in Garden Grove. The Hyatt OC is in Garden Grove, and lots of Korean bbq is just a 15 minute drive away (no freeway necessary!). Korean BBQ is one of our fav things to eat, so we do that. We also love Santouka Ramen Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa. Their special Toro pork in salt broth ramen is excellent.

mytwosons
12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks, MMMommy! We are booked in a regular room at the Hyatt. I'm really looking forward to the trip!

Tondi G
01-01-2013, 03:53 AM
I would look at the Doubletree. It gets good reviews and is close enough to Disneyland. I think any hotel in the Anaheim area is going to be fairly family/child centric.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d601379-Reviews-Doubletree_Suites_by_Hilton_Hotel_Anaheim_Resort_C onvention_Center-Anaheim_California.html

AnnieW625
01-02-2013, 12:10 AM
The Hyatt, the Marriott, the Sheraton, the Double Tree, and the Ayres Hotel would be my recs., althought the Doubletree, and the Ayres Hotel are further away in Orange. If you don't mind driving about 20 minutes away the Hyatt in Huntington Beach is suppose to be amazing.