PDA

View Full Version : Shabby chic room makeover

joonbug
12-18-2012, 08:17 AM
I am planning to surprise DD for her 4th birthday and change her room, going along with the shabby chic theme. I have a black wrought iron daybed (she is sleeping in the toddler bed and complains about the small bed lol), and looking for more inspirations... I was thinking about this set from Target
http://www.target.com/p/simply-shabby-chic-smocked-duvet-cover-set-pink/-/A-11943292#prodSlot=large_1_2&term=Shabby%20chic%20duvet

Other than than, blank canvas (she has a white shabby chic dresser and a low bookcase already in her room). Anyone has done a shabby chic for their girls?
I don't wNt to overdo it with stuff, more of a clean shabby chic look (no flowers or too much frou frou if you know what I mean...).

lovebebes
12-18-2012, 12:49 PM
What color are the walls? Are you going to paint at all?

A garland/bunting made of shabby looking fabrics would be really gorgeous, I used to have several bunting garlands hanging up in the kids room, across the ceiling. Do a search on etsy for shabby garland to get ideas and inspiration.

Something like this would look so pretty on the wall, i think they are pretty big, and would make a statement without looking frou frou at all:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Rachel-Ashwell-Simply-Shabby-Chic-KidsRoom-Padded-Wall-Letters-spell-DREAM-/150964867565?pt=Bedroom_Playroom_Dorm_Decor&hash=item23263511ed

A cute simple white lamp with a rachel ashwell simply shabby chic lamp shade (tons on ebay) would be perfect on a dresser. An old crusty looking enameled pot/can with some flowers too.

A wooden hanger that you can paint and distress with the simplest white dress or floral dress that your dd loves, hanging somewhere on the wall around the closet area.

A simple white pottery barn kids shelf, like the scalloped looking one, with a few pretty and sweet things on it like a picture frame, an old little stuffed animal etc.

I cannot recommend enough drapes from restoration baby and child, they have some amazing gorgeous colors like petal pink that does not look overly sugary, in silk and in cotton-it is an expensive purchase but will TOTALLY make the whole room instantly. (You could wait until they have a 20% off promo. )Windows are so key.

A bed canopy, just a simple white one will instantly create a soft and romantic look for her bed.

look at restoration hardware baby and child website for inspiration, as well as type in rachel ashwell in google images.

How fun, doing kids rooms is what i would ideally do for a living.

I love ebay for all things shabby chic because you can find amazing deals.

happymom
12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I will be watching this thread for sure! I am eyeing this set from Target:
http://www.target.com/p/simply-shabby-chic-rouched-duvet-cover-set-blue/-/A-13773657#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=cabbage rose

Although the solid pink is so pretty too!

ETA: Now that I looked at it a little more, I think I like the solid pink even more than the blue one! I was trying to keep the room from being ALL pink, but you know what? Pink is pretty so too bad, right?

joonbug
12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Here is what the room looks like right now.

(Please no bashing about the tv... The only way I can take a shower while DD is up in the mornings...). I ll write more when at the computer.

happymom
12-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Aww, her room is so cute as it is! So funny to see how your DD is into the same things my DD is - my DD would go crazy for a room with Hello Kitty and Minnie!

mypa
12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
We have some of Target's Simply Shabby line and it is adorable! I even changed out my bedding as well as my mom's to Simply Shabby. In DD's room I added Rachel's rug (got in a garage sale for $10!) and it really pulled the room together.

I also think if the bedding is going to be pink to contrast the walls with pale blue, grey, green, or yellow, something soft. A chandelier would also be a nice touch.

joonbug
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
What color are the walls? Are you going to paint at all?

A garland/bunting made of shabby looking fabrics would be really gorgeous, I used to have several bunting garlands hanging up in the kids room, across the ceiling. Do a search on etsy for shabby garland to get ideas and inspiration.

Something like this would look so pretty on the wall, i think they are pretty big, and would make a statement without looking frou frou at all:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Rachel-Ashwell-Simply-Shabby-Chic-KidsRoom-Padded-Wall-Letters-spell-DREAM-/150964867565?pt=Bedroom_Playroom_Dorm_Decor&hash=item23263511ed

A cute simple white lamp with a rachel ashwell simply shabby chic lamp shade (tons on ebay) would be perfect on a dresser. An old crusty looking enameled pot/can with some flowers too.

A wooden hanger that you can paint and distress with the simplest white dress or floral dress that your dd loves, hanging somewhere on the wall around the closet area.

A simple white pottery barn kids shelf, like the scalloped looking one, with a few pretty and sweet things on it like a picture frame, an old little stuffed animal etc.

I cannot recommend enough drapes from restoration baby and child, they have some amazing gorgeous colors like petal pink that does not look overly sugary, in silk and in cotton-it is an expensive purchase but will TOTALLY make the whole room instantly. (You could wait until they have a 20% off promo. )Windows are so key.

A bed canopy, just a simple white one will instantly create a soft and romantic look for her bed.

look at restoration hardware baby and child website for inspiration, as well as type in rachel ashwell in google images.

How fun, doing kids rooms is what i would ideally do for a living.

I love ebay for all things shabby chic because you can find amazing deals.

Thank you for the detailed post! The walls are light gray and there is one 'accent wall' very dark gray - all leftovers after the previous tenants. I'm glad we left them as they are, don't look bad with all the colors and white furniture but love light blue walls for girl's room. Or mint green - those both would match light pink bedding. The carpet is very neutral, beigey white sort of, non - replaceable ;). All that 'has' to stay in the room is the white dresser and white bookcase, there is a white lamp with the blue shade with tiny roses that has been there from the beginning. And the white chair but it sort of blends in and matches the shabby anyway.. (not so shabby Ikea ;)).
Shabby garlands sound yummy, gotta look around on pinterest! Thanks.
A hanger with a white dress sounds cute too, easy to do and I'd hang it on the closet door which is wood so it would stand out nicely (or put hook on the closet door). Thanks again, gotta go do some browsing now ;)

joonbug
12-18-2012, 07:49 PM
We have some of Target's Simply Shabby line and it is adorable! I even changed out my bedding as well as my mom's to Simply Shabby. In DD's room I added Rachel's rug (got in a garage sale for $10!) and it really pulled the room together.

I also think if the bedding is going to be pink to contrast the walls with pale blue, grey, green, or yellow, something soft. A chandelier would also be a nice touch.
Thanks, the white Simply Shabby duvet in white looks like something I wouldn't mind on our master bed for the summer ;). I wish she had wooden floor but we cannot change the carpet. It least it's pretty light and easy to work with color-wise...
There are only wall scones (an old house and the lamps are very weird here) so no chandelier, bummer...

joonbug
12-18-2012, 08:00 PM
We have some of Target's Simply Shabby line and it is adorable! .

Really funny... Just looking at the pictures now and it turns out both the dresser and the bookcase are Rachel Ashwell line for Target. Didn't even realize ;), seems like I was pulled into that direction years ago furnishing the nursery for newborn DD!