PDA

View Full Version : OP Updated: weighted blanket night 1 (thanks Gina!)

hillview
12-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Update -- DS slept in his OWN bed til 555 this morning. That is 2 days in a row with the blanket -- NEVER before has this happened. I adjusted the blanket at 10 pm when I went to bed. He has been SO much happier in the evenings (not an exhausted kid).
==
I finally got DS2 a weighted blanket. He used it last night. First off I have to say that like the weighted vest he just liked it. Strange as it is 8 lbs and I thought I might have to sneak in at night to put it on him. I checked him when I put DS1 to bed and again before I went to bed -- both times he was still under the blanket (this is SHOCKING -- 100% of the time by the time I go to bed the covers are totally off him and he has been thrashing around). He slept in his own bed til 530. Typically he is in my bed by 330 or so. As it was just our first night I am short of saying it is a miracle but so far so good!

Per Gina's suggestion, I got it from here
http://www.weightedblanket.net/
They were fast and the blanket is very nice.

TwoBees
12-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Please tell me more...

I've heard of weighted blankets but never really looked into them. DD has never been a great sleeper--she often has trouble settling down at night (she has so much energy) and sometimes still wakes in the middle of the night. She never liked to be swaddled, but has so many toys in her bed there is hardly any room for her. How can I tell if she might benefit from a weighted blanket?

hillview
12-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Please tell me more...

I've heard of weighted blankets but never really looked into them. DD has never been a great sleeper--she often has trouble settling down at night (she has so much energy) and sometimes still wakes in the middle of the night. She never liked to be swaddled, but has so many toys in her bed there is hardly any room for her. How can I tell if she might benefit from a weighted blanket?

Honestly this was my issue -- no idea if it would work. I finally just bit the bullet. Only one day in so too soon to say.

LBW
12-18-2012, 11:57 AM
We LOVE ours. It saved my sanity! My 5-year old used to fight sleep. He thrashed around all night, and would wake up screaming. Then, he was UP for the day at 5 - and angry because he was so tired. He's slept through the night since we got the weighted blanket.

TwoBees
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks to both of you, maybe I should give it a try. The prices at the dream catcher site seem really reasonable since I wouldn't need a large one for DD.

Hillview, I'm glad you are having such a positive experience. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

hillview
12-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Updated in OP

TwoBees
12-19-2012, 04:10 PM
:yay::cheerleader1:
Wonderful news! Which size blanket did you get for him?

hillview
12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
:yay::cheerleader1:
Wonderful news! Which size blanket did you get for him?

I got him the toddler size. I am wishing I had gotten him the next size up. It is big enough but would be nice to have a little extra. It fits his toddler size bed exactly with no overhang really. It is a good size for now. If it keeps being magic I might get a twin size and use the toddler size for travel or a back up.

LBW
12-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Yay!!!!!!

hillview
12-20-2012, 08:20 AM
ok so he work up at 5 am BUT
1) he had to poop
2) this is still a record for him

He stayed in his own bed which maybe happens 1 night a month. He has been in his own bed 4 nights in a row til at least 5 am and most nights 6 am. Very happy and rested mama!

Gena
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm so glad you are having success with your weighted blanket!

DS has been using his weighted blanket for just over a year and we still love it. (He has an 8lb twin size.) DS does go through phases of sleep difficulties, but overall the weighted blanket helps him sleep through the night and sleep in his own bed. It has made a huge difference in our lives.

We take the weighted blanket with us when we travel (we travel by car, so packing is not an issue). It has been an amazing help for getting DS to sleep well in hotels, at relatives' houses, etc.

The blanket is still in great shape despite constant use, repeated washings, and even getting vomited on. It has definitely been worth the investment for us.

inmypjs
12-20-2012, 04:13 PM
That is great news!

hillview
12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
another good night! He actually peed in his bed at 530 am. This is crazy -- means he was asleep SOUNDLY at that time. That just doesn't happen. He NEVER pees in his bed because he is always semi awake I think. Anyway this makes it 5 nights in a row of good sleep. He is also a lot happier/easier.

egoldber
12-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Good news!!! :bighand:

Out of curiosity, do you think part of it is that he actually keeps the weighted blanket on so is warmer at night? I bought younger DD a heated mattress pad when she turned 4 and I can't even tell you how much her sleep improved afterwards!

karstmama
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
kinda weird to applaud peeing in bed, but i know what you mean, hillview! hooray!

ooh, beth, heated mattress pad...what a good idea...