PDA

View Full Version : What to do with these type of items you don't want any more?

mom3boys
12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Quick question--
We are moving this week--in a couple of days--and DH just cleaned out most of our basement. We have a lot of glassware and some flatware, pots and pans that we will be getting rid of (most of them were our "old" stuff, before we got married and got our registry gifts). They are all in good condition, we just don't need them, and we didn't plan enough in advance to sell or give away to a specific place (or have a yard sale). DH put a lot of them in trash bags (garbage goes out tomorrow) and the glassware in our recycling bins (recycling goes out tonight).
It seems as waste to me. Will Salvation Army take them? I don't always donate there but there is an SA store right up the street and I'm pressed for time.

Or other suggestions? I live in an urban area and sometimes if you leave stuff out on the street people will just take it, but the best time to do that is on a Sunday afternoon when there is a lot of foot traffic.

The other alternative, I guess, is we could take it with us and have a yard sale in the spring--we have plenty of storage area at the new house, and we have flat-rate movers. But, seems like a lot of hassle and not worth the $$ we would make in a yard sale.

doberbrat
12-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I'd bring them to SA. OR leave them on the curb. Seems so wasteful to throw them away. Now, plastic cups I'd just toss.

elbenn
12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I think you can donate that to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. You can call and ask. Or you could freecycle. But definitely donate it instead of throwing/recycling it!

lil_acorn
12-18-2012, 12:49 PM
freecyle would be easiest since they all come to you. Just leave at the bottom of your driveway.

karstmama
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
sa, goodwill, women's shelter, church, donate! :)

misshollygolightly
12-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree--donate it! Also, just a heads up that my city's recycling program does accept glass (jars, beer bottles, etc.), but does NOT accept glassware (wineglasses, pyrex bowls, etc). Your program may be different, but you might look into it before you try to recycle a whole bunch of glassware.

hillview
12-18-2012, 01:05 PM
the VA picks up around here. They take them

crl
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I have had good luck posting things like that for free on CL. I just say the stuff is sitting outside of x address come and take it. Then I pull the ad as soon as the stuff is gone. I don't give any way to contact me in the ad so no one can bug me with questions.

Otherwise, I would take it to SA if you can find the time.

Catherine

Tinochka
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I put big items on CL for free, some items (still in good condition, but we were not using them anymore) went to Goodwill, thrift store when we were moving. I just couldn’t toss them: creates more unnecessary trash and some items were meaningful for me. Some nice items like vases from the wedding I asked MIL if she wants them, she gladly accepted. I just don’t have interest to keep 10 different vases, I guess.
I try to resell some big kids items once I am done, I don’t like storing them. I figure if I’ll need, I’ll come back to CL to purchase newer model, but I keep kids clothes.

khalloc
12-18-2012, 01:30 PM
We keep some of our old plastic dishes, old silverware, and old cheap pots and pans for "Camping" they are in a storage box in the basement and we can just grab that and go instead of rifling thru our kitchen trying to think of everything we need to cooking meals while camping. We only camp maybe 2-4 times a summer. Usually just for 2-3 days each time.

hellokitty
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes, donate them! Anything that is still usable and not completely ratty looking will sell at a thrift shop.

Melaine
12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes, donate to SA!!

vonfirmath
12-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I donate them to Goodwill. We just got rid of a lot of glassware even.

mom3boys
12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks! My car is already full of clothes and baby stuff to go to SA, since it is closer to me than GW. I posted an ad on freecycle for the glassware and silverware, and if I don't hear anything I will probably put an ad on CL for a night (like, it's sitting outside ex-address, come get it) and if it doesn't go, bring to SA. It is really dusty and I feel like if I bring to SA, I will need to put it through the dishwasher. We have so much to do every extra thing to do just seems exhausting so if I can put it on the street knowing it will go to a new home, that's what I will do first!

I do like the idea for keeping the silverware for camping though!

mackmama
12-18-2012, 03:05 PM
SA or goodwill. Good luck with the move!