PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a short term move?

fivi2
12-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Packing etc? We are remodeling our house (finally) starting in Jan. We will be in an apartment for about 6 months. We need to pack up the whole house. I have two just turned 7 yos.

I am planning on replacing a lot of dishes, pans, towels etc. Should I do that now or when we move back into house? We are doing a lot of packing over break.

Any advice?

egoldber
12-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Personally, I would wait to replace things until after you move back in.

The you can simply not re-pack things, just donate or throw out the things you don't want back at the house.

amldaley
12-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I would not buy anything new until the remodel is done. Keep the new stuff fresh and exciting by using it at your new house.

I would do two seperate pack outs. I would first pack all the stuff that is going to storage and then the stuff you are taking to the temp place. It would be easier to do it the other way (so if you miss something, you don't have to dig t out of storage) but then you are living without the basics for however many days it takes to pack the rest of the stuff up and move.

Take an empty box for each of the 7 yo's and let them mark all over it and make it their own. Tell them they can fill that box with the special things and toys that they each want to have with them in the temp place.

Make a list of all the stuff you use daily - coffeemaker. alarm clock, etc. We did this two ways...we sat down and went through our days chronologically and then we also walked through the house.

Keep in mind any holidays or birthdays that will come while in temp housing and pull out just what you need for those.

Mark your storage boxes with DETAILED info about what is inside in case you need to go looking for stuff during the 6 months.

Leave large decorative items in storage unless you know they have a specific home in the temp rental.

Be prepared to live a little like a hobo for those 6 months.

Unless the kitchen in the temp place is as large as yours is now, you will need to pull out just a full set of whisks, spoons, knives, spatulas and can opener and put the rest in storage. Simplify your cooking style and plan to eat out more than you think you might.

You will be tempted to clean as you pack. That is great if you have time (and yes, you will suddenly realize all the stuff you own is way dustier than you thought it was!) or be prepared to clean at the other end (we unpack with a set of bleach wipes and swiffer wipes on hand).

Take all consumables with you from canned goods to tape and glue and string.

I am sure I will think of more things!!!! (We have moved...ALOT).

ETA: NOW is the time to PURGE. As you look at things, think about what it will cost to pack and store them and ask yourself IS IT WORTH IT? DO I WANT THIS IN MY REMODELED HOME?

fivi2
12-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Good advice thanks! I am just overwhelmed at the thought of doing this twice. I needed a plan!

ang79
12-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Great post! We are planning on putting our house on the market this spring and if/when it sells, using that money to purchase a modular house that will be built on land we own. But we will be living in temp. housing for 4-6 mos. as well. When I look at all the stuff we've acquired in our almost 9 years of living in our current home, I'm overwhelmed with how we are going to pack it all up for storage and moving everything multiple times!