PDA

View Full Version : Is having cellular option on ipad worth the $$ upfront?

Tammy
12-19-2012, 11:37 AM
On the fence here b/t wifi only or cellular for ipad mini. Is it worth the extra $130 upfront to at least have the option later for travel or other spots where you may want internet connection? FWIW, we cannot tether anything (we don't have smartphones or other Apple products) for connection. This will be used at home and also plan to make use of its portability. Suggestions?? I wouldn't sign a contract with provider, but would want to go cellular coverage only when needed. Thanks!

khalloc
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I have the original Ipad and I got it with 3G because I thought I would want to use it when I was not on WiFi. At the time I did not have a smartphone.

Well I have never signed up for a 3G data plan. I use it almost entirely at home. I surf the web and read. My kids watch NetFlix and play games. I do bring it places with me, but I've never wanted the internet bad enough to sign up for a plan. And now I have an iPhone too so I just use that for data when I am out and about.

KDsMommy
12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I have an iPad2 with WiFi only. I have never had a real need for the 4G, but I do also have an iPhone so just use that if I really need data when out and about. I think if I travelled a lot I would have more use for the expanded data on the iPad, but for my uses, the WiFi only option is just fine.

larig
12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
We never have with the three iPads we purchased, but did when we bought a mini. My logic was that it is more portable. We're activating the data plan when we are traveling this month.

chlobo
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't own an iphone so having the 4g capability on my ipad has been a lifesaver when the power goes out and the internet goes down. This happened last year for 4 days and this year for 2 days during freak storms. There have also bee intermittent power outages along the way. So for us, it has been a way for us to stay on top of things in an emergency.

In fact, my husband won an ipad 3 and we're gifting it to my mother because it doesn't have 4G.

Clarity
12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
It depends on where/how you will use it. My dh ordered it for me and then I had him cancel it. I use my iPad at home and at work and both places have wi-fi. I have a phone I can use in the car when traveling (dh driving!) but when in a hotel, the salon, the coffee shop, there's wi-fi so I thought it wasn't necessary for the few occassions that I wouldn't have access to it.
However, if I didn't have it at home/work then I say, yes, definitely order the option.

SASM
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
The only reason why we bought one with the cellular option is bc DH might relocate in the Spring and will most likely stay in a non-wifi accommodations...this will be our main way to communicate as a family until we join him in the summer. Other than that, we have been perfectly happy with the wifi only device. We also do not have smartphones.