PDA

View Full Version : We CAN help...Make SNOWFLAKE decorations for Newtown students!!

SASM
12-19-2012, 01:21 PM
This is such a beautiful movement...I haven't seen any mention of this on here so I thought that I'd share. My two older children are now aware of what happened...I think this will be a wonderful way for them to feel that they can help students in need of smiles... My friend and I are trying to get our entire school district involved. Please consider doing the same... I have contacted our principal and the art teacher. I am also planning on using this as a craft during our holiday break.

LET'S TRANSFORM THEIR SCHOOL INTO A BEAUTIFUL WINTER WONDERLAND!!!

If you, like myself, are a parent that is afraid of this topic and our kids learning what has happened in CT, take no fear here. We simply need to tell our kids that a time has come to help another school in need, in need of some love and cheer and the way we can help them is by sending decorations from around the world - snowflakes to create a magical winter wonderland for them to be greeted with when they go to school... for the children and for the adults. They need a hug from all of us and the way we can do that is by sending them snowflakes! Make and send snowflakes to the Connecticut PTSA by January 12th.

From website:
Welcome Students to a Winter Wonderland

When school resumes for Sandy Hook, it will be in a new building. Parent-volunteers are working to ensure that the students are welcomed back by a winter wonderland with the entire school decorated with as many unique snowflakes as possible. We encourage senders to be as creative as possible, remembering that no two snowflakes are alike. Please make and send snowflakes by January 12, 2013 to the Connecticut PTSA (http://ctpta.org/) address at the bottom of this page.

Please send all snowflakes and donations to:
Connecticut PTSA
60 Connolly Parkway
Building 12, Suite 103
Hamden, CT 06514

Website link:
http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=3459

SASM
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Just a bump... You do not need to tell your children why they are making snowflakes...it's just a craft that you "send away". :)

tmahanes
12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
We are going to do some.... I saw this the other day on another board.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

ang79
12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
My girls and some friends are planning on making some next week to send. My girls don't know specifics of what happened (we told them a bad man tried to hurt kids at another school far away, and that the snowflakes are to help cheer up the sad kids).

ahisma
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
My DS's kindergarten class is doing this. They don't know the specifics - the teacher told us today that the kids are going to make snowflakes to send. She's presenting it as sending some Michigan snowflake love to some people that could use a smile.

I think it is perfect. They've already been working on snowflakes this month and are used to her service projects - they're excited and obvious to the tragedy.

boogiemomz
12-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Going to do this with DD too! Love the idea.

joules
12-19-2012, 10:25 PM
I made 72 snowflakes to decorate the cutout in the wall b/t our family and living room. It took forever!

I'm going to send them over. Thanks OP!!

Question.. some of them were made on scrap paper, so they have text on one side. The other side is white. Do you think that's ok? Also what about writing a small message? "With love from NameOfOurCity"?

ETA: Some of my snowflakes are heart themed. This worked out perfectly.

SASM
12-19-2012, 10:34 PM
I made 72 snowflakes to decorate the cutout in the wall b/t our family and living room. It took forever!

I'm going to send them over. Thanks OP!!

Question.. some of them were made on scrap paper, so they have text on one side. The other side is white. Do you think that's ok? Also what about writing a small message? "With love from NameOfOurCity"?

ETA: Some of my snowflakes are heart themed. This worked out perfectly.

I think anything and everything is totally acceptable!! They can be paper, cardboard, beads...anything!! No two snowflakes are alike! I am going to have my children write their first names and where they live on the front of theirs so, if a student reads it they will know that a snowflake came from afar. ;) I am not sure what our schools' art teachers plan on doing with our hundreds of snowflakes in regards to labeling, etc.

THANK YOU for looking...and creating!!! :)

randomkid
12-20-2012, 12:20 AM
The principal of DD's K-8 school informed the teachers of this today. DD's class did it and I am sure most, if not all, of the classes in the school will make snowflakes.

stillplayswithbarbies
12-20-2012, 01:58 AM
here is a list of ways to help

http://newtown.patch.com/articles/ways-to-help-sandy-hook

the town is inundated with memorials and teddy bears and flowers and who is going to clean up all this mess later? Really the best way to help is with money.

maestramommy
12-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Just a bump... You do not need to tell your children why they are making snowflakes...it's just a craft that you "send away". :)

Thanks! I couldn't come up with a reason why we would do this without an explanation.

s7714
12-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Bumping this up. :love5:

One of my DD's Girl Scout troops will be sending off a batch of snowflakes as well. We read that 8 of the 20 kids lost were Girl Scout Daisies. (We didn't tell the girls that or why we were really doing it. We just told them we were sending them out to make people feel happy.)

MichelleRC
12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
We talked about making a big heart shaped snowflake and having all the kids and teachers at our school sign it.

updacountry
12-21-2012, 11:54 AM
We will be doing this district wide over our holiday break and sending them all together. I hope they have enough people to hang them all!

hellokitty
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm doing this with some friends tomorrow. We are making it a family event. Most of us haven't told our kids details about sandy hook, but are saying that we are making these to help cheer up some kids who are really sad.