PDA

View Full Version : if you commute, safety vs. mileage....

AnnieW625
12-19-2012, 02:59 PM
We are inching closer to replacing our 3, and 4 star NHTSA rated 2001 Corolla. DH and I have decided to hopefully buy a new car in January or February. Prior to the SH tragedy I was fine with buying a good 4 and 5 star rated VW Passat TDI, but since last Friday my safety radar has been sky high (even though these kids weren't killed in a bus or car) and I find myself obsessing about safety vs. mileage. Volvo's mile long list of safety features and 5 Star safety (Audi's safety is also good as well) is giving me warm fuzzies, but the mileage of a VW Passat TDI gives me fuzzies as well, but it isn't 5 star rated all the way across the board. I drive about 300 miles a week.

Would you give up on some mileage just for safety or should I just worry about the mileage and not worry about all of the safety features because 90% of the time M-F my kids won't be with me; but then they need me to survive an accident as well.

WWYD?

safety or mileage

BabyBearsMom
12-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't know about the balance, I would try to find something that had both frankly (maybe a Prius? I think I remember reading that they had good crash ratings). But I wanted to say that while Volvo has great safety features they can be a bit unreliable. I ended up getting rid of my Volvo S60 after we had tons of issues with it (and I had issues fitting carseats in it). I know several other people who also got rid of their Volvos because of issues with the mechanics of the car. I will never buy another Volvo again.

khalloc
12-19-2012, 03:35 PM
DH has a Prius, we love it.

AnnieW625
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Khalloc, yeah we aren't getting a Prius or any other hybrid. DH thinks hybrids all fancy marketing unless you live and commute in a big city like San Francisco, NYC, Boston, or the general downtown LA area where all of your driving mileage is in the city. He gets similar mileage (high 30s to low 40s) with the 01 Corolla (manual transmission) in the city and on the highway. Battery issues were what initially shyed him away from an 01 Prius in 2001 when he bought his Corolla. Battery life has been much better than expected, but it's still not swaying him back that way either, he just doesn't believe all of the hype of "green cars." He is a much bigger fan of diesel technology. He works in the air quality industry.

I don't know about the balance, I would try to find something that had both frankly (maybe a Prius? I think I remember reading that they had good crash ratings). But I wanted to say that while Volvo has great safety features they can be a bit unreliable. I ended up getting rid of my Volvo S60 after we had tons of issues with it (and I had issues fitting carseats in it). I know several other people who also got rid of their Volvos because of issues with the mechanics of the car. I will never buy another Volvo again.

What year was yours? We completely avoided Volvo in 2006 because our mechanic friend said they were logistical nightmares to repair when Ford owned them, he advised buying one that was 10 yrs. old (IE: non Ford owned made Volvo) or simply buying something else, esp. in regards to the S60, and XC90s. The reliability on the newer ones has been better. I know a few people who have 2008+ models and haven't had any issues with them. We tried DD2's RA55 in it and it fit fine, as did DD1's Turbo Booster; we didn't try the Frontier.

hellokitty
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM

:yeahthat: I think a balance is good and just paying attn to the safety ratings will make a difference, since you are now making it a priority.

cvanbrunt
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a 2005 Volvo S40T. I drove it 100 miles a day when I was commuting with it. It's got 94K miles on it and I've only done scheduled maintenance. I love my car.

khalloc
12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok. I know some people get a certain type of car in their heads or cant bring themselves to consider another type. We live in Burlington VT and our Prius gets 55 MPG in the non-snow tire months. Pretty good I think. I have a friend who thinks diesels are the worst thing ever. All he does in complain about finding a gas station with diesel fuel (although I feel like very gas station sells it), and complains about how much it stinks. So to each his own! Good luck deciding.

codex57
12-19-2012, 05:08 PM
If you're gonna knock Volvo for reliability, you have to be fair and do the same for VW/Audi. That said, diesels tend to be pretty solid drivetrains compared to their gas equivalents.

marymoo86
12-19-2012, 05:13 PM
My mom just got a 2013 Honda CRV and I love it! The gas mileage is great 32-33mpg and has really good pick up for a 4cylinder. Great safety (http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_CR-V/Safety/) ratings too.

Philly Mom
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Love VW. We have 2.

AnnieW625
12-19-2012, 05:55 PM
If you're gonna knock Volvo for reliability, you have to be fair and do the same for VW/Audi. That said, diesels tend to be pretty solid drivetrains compared to their gas equivalents.

I know which why I am also having this dilemma, but would lean towards the TDI because it is a solid well proven engine. We want too much I guess, but aren't really sold on the new Hondas or Toyotas for one or more reasons but like always they seem to have safety, mileage, and good reliability covered (we've had two Hondas, and two Toyotas). I think the new Accord looks like a Grandma-mobile (it reminds me too much of the Avalon; DH likes it okay), and the Camry, which I do think looks younger, but then in my area has "don't even try and haggle with me because I am the best selling car in the USA" (although one of the new car sales managers at Longo is a parent at our school so maybe I have an in there) thing going against it and the top of the line model is $34K, same as the Passat TDI (so better mileage there).

Marymoo, I love the look of the new CRV, but sitting in one I thought the rear view window was pretty limiting so it is kind of out.

Phillymom, which VWs do you have?

codex57
12-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Weird, I've heard from many people (including a relative in the car business) that Longo is the place to go for Toyotas cuz they're the largest in hundreds of miles, if not the entire US. They say that Longo discounts the most. That said, I've never actually had a good experience there. My dad actually got into a shouting match with a Longo Lexus salesman over taxes (weird cuz normally finance dept handles taxes so the sales guy should have just punted to them and not lost a sale).

Philly Mom
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Jetta and Jetta sports wagon. Would have the tdi, if we could have. We lease so tdi was too expensive. If we bought, I would buy the tdi.

codex57
12-20-2012, 05:20 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5970071/safety-groups-blasts-toyota-for-poor-camry-and-prius-v-crash-test-performance

Looks like another reason to rule out the Camry

AnnieW625
12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5970071/safety-groups-blasts-toyota-for-poor-camry-and-prius-v-crash-test-performance

Looks like another reason to rule out the Camry

Thanks Codex, and it's funny because since yesterday I was just thinking okay a nice black Camry would be pretty sporty looking, but I guess that is a no now. DH reads that auto blog as well so I am sure he'll tell me the same thing.

Now I don't feel so bad for wanting something non run of mill:bighand:, plus DH has had really bad luck with a couple of Toyota issues with his car due to warranty (way back in 2002 or 2003) and Toyota service not paying for it so that is another reason he isn't high on buying another Toyota unless it is a Tacoma (and he'd really prefer the non US version--but that is another can of worms).

maestramommy
12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
None of the Honda's have a 5 star rating? Hmmmm, then I would go for the Passat unless their safety rating is really mediocre. I've looked at Volvos because they are popular here, but they just seem unreliable, which kinda kills it when they are that much more expensive....
Okay, see you didn't like the Hondas. Not even the Accord Crosstour?

Mazda5?

ETA: I have two family members who had to deal with Longo Toyota. HATED them.

Kymberley
12-20-2012, 06:52 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this will sway you or not. We have 2 TDIs. DH has a Golf TDI (48+ mpg) and I have a Jetta TDI (45+ mpg). They are loaded with airbags, and are quite safe. We'll drive those cars into the ground, fix them, and drive them some more. Best cars we've ever had.