PDA

View Full Version : Bmw X5

mackmama
12-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Does anyone have one? What type of gas mileage do you get IRL? Do you have the regular gas or diesel engine? Thanks!

AnnieW625
12-19-2012, 03:52 PM
They were sadly out of our price range in 2006 when we were looking (no deals to be found on used ones), but everyone I know (about 5-6 people) IRL who has one love theirs, and most of them have had them for 5+ yrs. Mileage is typical SUV mileage I believe (19-26, maybe a little less) and they only take premium or diesel fuel. Same with the X3, which is what we were really really interested in, but again couldn't get anyone deal on a used one and couldn't afford one new. If you can swing it I'd get the diesel model.

mackmama
12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
The buyer would only be looking at used. The buyer is hoping the mileage would be a little better than advertised LOL so just thought I'd ask here for real-life data. I know a few people who have the X5, and everyone I know loves them too. The buyer is considering the diesel engine since it gets better mileage - but is wondering if it's the smart move since diesel gas is about 20% more expensive.

arivecchi
12-19-2012, 05:59 PM
I have an 05 and love it, but it sure is a gas guzzler. It costs about $80 to fill up. My driving is very uneven (some weeks I only drive to the grain station and back - others interstate travel), so I do not have to refill on a consistent basis.

mackmama
12-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I have an 05 and love it, but it sure is a gas guzzler. It costs about $80 to fill up. My driving is very uneven (some weeks I only drive to the grain station and back - others interstate travel), so I do not have to refill on a consistent basis.

Do you have diesel or regular? Do you feel like the ride is smooth or a bit rough?

codex57
12-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Our friend reports in the teens, but they live in SF. Just gas. Dealers are offering a TON off of them right now. I've never seen discounts like that before on a BMW. I mean, I know there's a total redesign coming up, but it's still not that close (several months at least) and the dealers have been slashing prices for a while now.

flashy09
12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I have an x3 and it averages about 21 MPG. Regular gas. So I would think the X5 would get a bit less as it's bigger. Have you looked at the new X3's? They have a new body style and are pretty big. I love mine!

arivecchi
12-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Do you have diesel or regular? Do you feel like the ride is smooth or a bit rough?Regular. It's a very smooth ride compared to most cars out there, but now I am spoiled by my DH's sedan which is even smoother! I do notice a huge difference whenever I ride in other cars though. I love how it handles! I would probably replace it with another one when it bites the dust.

kara97210
12-19-2012, 11:30 PM
DH drives a X5, it's definitely a gas guzzler. His takes regular gas, and I'd say it was a really smooth ride. We really like BMWs, this is our 3rd. It's definitely not a great commuter car because of the gas mileage, but it's fantastic in the snow or when we go to our friends' cabin which is down a rustic country road.

WatchingThemGrow
12-20-2012, 12:32 AM
:ROTFLMAO: I didn't see who posted this and I was thinking, "What the heck!!!
There's a BBBer who only drives to get grain a few times a week???!!!"

LizLemon
12-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Our friend reports in the teens, but they live in SF. Just gas. Dealers are offering a TON off of them right now. I've never seen discounts like that before on a BMW. I mean, I know there's a total redesign coming up, but it's still not that close (several months at least) and the dealers have been slashing prices for a while now.

Is that on the X3 too, by any chance, or just the x5?

Reina
12-20-2012, 01:02 AM
BMW is offering very generous prices right now both for finance and lease.
Long story short: the inventory is too big and they have to get rid of as many vehicles as they can.
I just leased an X3 and getting 24 mpg on average.
The X3 is the same size as a 2006 or older X5.
I walked in to the dealer to get an X5, drove out of there in an X3. Could not be happier with the car.

arivecchi
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
:ROTFLMAO: I didn't see who posted this and I was thinking, "What the heck!!!
There's a BBBer who only drives to get grain a few times a week???!!!"LOL. Yes. I need grain for my farm and I haul it in my x5. :tongue5:

Agreeing with the PP that the X5 is awesome in snow and dirt roads - we have tested that many times as our ILs live in the middle of nowhere and don't even have a road leading up to their house, followed by a steep hill. Our car has never had any issues going up that hill even with lots of snow. That's where I have also realized how smooth of a ride it is. Every time that I drive in another car down that road, I feel every single bump!

mackmama
12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Really helpful, and glad there's so much X5 love!

arivecchi
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Oh and mackmama, one more thing, even though the trunk is not huge compared to other SUVs, my 140 pound great dane girl fits in there just fine. :)

mackmama
12-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh and mackmama, one more thing, even though the trunk is not huge compared to other SUVs, my 140 pound great dane girl fits in there just fine. :)

:ROTFLMAO: So cute ;)

sunnyside
12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
If you're looking for me, I moved to Arivecchi's farm!