PDA

View Full Version : Stress management techniques

mackmama
12-19-2012, 04:19 PM
How do you all effectively manage your stress - both short and long term? When you feel stressed in the moment, what helps you the most? I'd love to hear about specific ideas/strategies.

lalasmama
12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Immediate: I smell a citrus spray, or coconut spray. Coconut because that's what I happened to have at a conference on relaxation. Citrus because I love Disneyland, and there's a ride at DL that sprays citrus; smelling it takes me instantly back! If I just need to cry, I go to an empty room and let it out.

Short term: I have a counselor I see once a month. I leave DD at aftercare a little later the one day I get out if work early (today!). It guarantees me 2 hours of daytime tv, time to clean without "help", etc. Oh, and some girly time getting mani/pedis with DD every few months.

Long term: mommy time. Occasionally (3 times a year) mommy weekends on my own. Date nights. Small splurges so I don't feel like its all DD DD DD.

vludmilla
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Check out mindfulness...

John Kabat Zinn is a good author on the subject.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/opinion/sunday/the-power-of-concentration.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

hillview
12-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Short term
I change the scenery. I play music, make some tea, go for a walk, call a friend, post here.

Long term
I make sure I am sleeping well (Tylenol PM if needed), try to exercise or at least get a walk in (sunlight), get help (babysitter, cleaner etc), get into a new book or bake something.