PDA

View Full Version : Bullet-proof backpacks for kids, really?!?

justlearning
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Just read this article about how sales have increased for a company that sells bulletproof backpacks for kids starting at $500. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/19/bulletproof-backpacks-kids-body-armor-in-demand-following-connecticut-school/

AnnieW625
12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
If it lasted through college why not because if you buy a $60 backpack every year for your kid then the $500 is equal to that. Now of course the idea is probably a little alarmist, but if I needed one because my child lived in a poorer area and it made me feel safer then I would be okay with it; but if that were the case they probably couldn't afford one.

maestramommy
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
If it lasted through college why not because if you buy a $60 backpack every year for your kid then the $500 is equal to that. Now of course the idea is probably a little alarmist, but if I needed one because my child lived in a poorer area and it made me feel safer then I would be okay with it; but if that were the case they probably couldn't afford one.

I really don't know anyone IRL or on this board that buys a $60 backpack for the kid every year. Or any year. Besides, would these people suggest that the kids in the future will be protected? How many kids do we know that wear their backpacks in class?

AnnieW625
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I agree with you, bizarre. I think I know of two families whose kids get new backpacks every year. No one wears a pack in class.

codex57
12-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Ive thought about it. And it's not $500. The Amendment II version (also comes in Disney Princess and Avengers versions) are $299. I think there might be a holiday sale too.

Anyways, I thought about it. If you can afford it, why not? Maybe not in class, but it might provide protection in the hallways, before or after school, etc. I dunno, I'm from LA. Too used to drive bys and innocent bystanders dying. It's not just a school shooter I worry about.

justlearning
12-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Ive thought about it. And it's not $500. The Amendment II version (also comes in Disney Princess and Avengers versions) are $299. I think there might be a holiday sale too.

You're right--the $500 price was from the article. Earlier I had tried to go to the admendment2.com but couldn't open up the site. I can now and the prices are $300 with a $100 upgrade option to protect against different bullets.

I guess I can see how it might make a parent feel better to know that their child could grab the backpack and hold it in front of their chest while hiding in a closet, or wear it on their back when running from the school. Or just when walking down the street in an area with drive-bys.

It's really sad that there's a market for this, though...