PDA

View Full Version : Laser hair removal?

flashy09
12-19-2012, 08:40 PM
My DH is offering me bikini and leg laser hair removal for Christmas. Merry Christmas to him! I could care less about the bikini, which is probably why things have probably gotten to the point he is suggesting this! But it would be convenient, especially the legs. What are the risks? Has anyone done this? I don't care about pain, but don't want to be scarred for life or have it not work. Thank you!

SASM
12-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I have my face treated. Be forewarned that depending on the severity, it might take a while. I have been going off and on for a year and a half. In regards to pain, I have a high threshold however my upper lip is quite sensitive, especially during thst time if the month. the rest is fine for me. Bikini will be sensitive. Prices vary from practice to practice, so shop around however practitioner quality varies as well. For instance, for my treatment region my dermatologist's office charged $150/treatment for 5 treatments, the sixth was free, and then I was considered maintenance at $90/treatment. An office closer to my house charged $300/treatment, regardless of how long I was going. I go every 4 weeks...that would have been $$$. Good luck! No risks...I feel completely safe. The only issue is that you cannot tan!!! If your skintone changes from the baseline and they use laser it can permanently damage your ability to tan. If you are in a warm area, use lots of sunblock!!

BabyBearsMom
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
My mom does it. It works but she says it hurts. No risks that I know of.

flashy09
12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
I have my face treated. Be forewarned that depending on the severity, it might take a while. I have been going off and on for a year and a half. Bikini will be sensitive. Prices vary from practice to practice, so shop around. For instance, for my treatment region my dermatologist's office charged $150/treatment for 5 treatments, the sixth was free, and then I was considered maintenance at $90/treatment. An office closer to my house charged $300/treatment, regardless of how long I was going. I go every 4 weeks...that would have been $$$. Good luck! No risks...I feel completely safe. The only issue is that you cannot tan!!! If your skintone changes from the baseline and they use laser it can permanently damage your ability to tan. If you are jn a warm area, use lots of sunblock!!

Thanks!! My DH is set on moving to England so not super worried about my tanning, lol.

flashy09
12-19-2012, 09:50 PM
My mom does it. It works but she says it hurts. No risks that I know of.

What does she get done? It seems like legs and bikini are a huge job.

Nicsmom
12-19-2012, 09:57 PM
I had the bikini done. Not Brazilian, just the sides. Hurts like crazy but it is worth the cost and the pain. I also had the underarms done and that changed my life. I highly recommend this, mostly if you live in a place with warm weather.

luli13
12-19-2012, 10:39 PM
I am in the process of getting my bikini done. I will have my third session (out of 6) on Friday. Each session is really easy and fast. It stings but I am used to getting waxed that it isn't terribly painful for me. After only 2 sessions I see a major reduction in hair already. I am really pleased :). I paid $325/6 sessions via Groupon. It is $160/treatment regularly. Great buy IMO.

edurnemk
12-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I had bikini, legs and underarms done about 10 years ago. Best money ever spent. No risks except temprary irritation if you have very sensitive skin (like a day or two). It does hurt, but it is sooooo worth it. Take a pain killer before your session and that helps. The darker the hair the fewer sessions you need. IIRC it was about 5-6 sessions for my legs over the course of a year, but there was considerable less hair growth since the 3rd session.

After pregnancies some of the hair can grow back, so I'll have a touch up session soon. Something to consider if you plan to get PG again soon, it might be better to wait to be done in that case.

edurnemk
12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
What does she get done? It seems like legs and bikini are a huge job.

Bikini and underarms are really quick. Legs is another story, esch session takes 90+ minutes

mushka
12-19-2012, 10:51 PM
I had legs done several years ago. Now I'm getting bikini and underarms treatments. Took 6 sessions for my legs and was truly worth the money.

LizLemon
12-19-2012, 11:03 PM
I had bikini, legs and underarms done about 10 years ago. Best money ever spent. No risks except temprary irritation if you have very sensitive skin (like a day or two). It does hurt, but it is sooooo worth it. Take a pain killer before your session and that helps. The darker the hair the fewer sessions you need. IIRC it was about 5-6 sessions for my legs over the course of a year, but there was considerable less hair growth since the 3rd session.

After pregnancies some of the hair can grow back, so I'll have a touch up session soon. Something to consider if you plan to get PG again soon, it might be better to wait to be done in that case.

Before your pregnancies, was the hair removal completely maintenance free? For instance, even after several years, were you having to wax or shave at all or go in for maintenance treatments? I am also considering laser, but would like to know how well it works and how long the treatments last before committing to the time and possible discomfort!

Also, is there a good way other than Yelp reviews to know if you are going to a good, reputable place?

indigo99
12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I had six sessions done on my bikini line eight years ago (just what would be outside of a bathing suit). I have had two babies since then, but I don't think anyone would even guess now that I had it done. I'm not a very hairy person, and I have medium brown hair (the color of your hair and skin affects the effectiveness). It worked at the time, and it is definitely much thinner now than it would be. However, I'd expect to go back for more visits if you really want to make it long term.

There have been threads about laser hair removal before too if you can find them. There is absolutely no way I would ever tolerate having my legs done. I used anesthetic cream, but it wears off really quickly once removed. That little area was all the pain that I could handle. Some say it feels like a rubberband snap, but I'd equate it to having a needle inserted for a shot... over and over and over.

SASM
12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Also, is there a good way other than Yelp reviews to know if you are going to a good, reputable place?

Consult a dermatologist. They could probably steer you in the right direction.

Forgot to add earlier that it supposedly does not work on blond hair. It does not work on my very few lighter/whiter hairs.

waitingforgrace
12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I have done 6 treatments on my underarms. I'm very pleased with the results. I did not find it painful more just irritating. I do have a few finer hairs that come back but I'm sure one more treatment could probably wipe them out.

I am now getting my lower legs done. I go for my third treatment next Friday. Most of my leg I don't even feel it, down by my ankles is definitely uncomfortable. I've already noticed a huge improvement.

The place I go is very concerned with your comfort, they can tone things down if it's too much for you. I'm more in the "I'll take some Advil, crank that puppy up" camp.

Dcclerk
12-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I have a pretty low threshold for pain, and I don't think the laser is bad at all. I can do it without the numbing cream with no problem. However, I think that is largely due to the type of laser that my doctor uses. According to her, the one she uses is very mild. I have to agree, so you might want to ask around to find out what kind of options you have.

It definitely is not a no-hair-for-the-rest-of-your-life thing for me. I need touch-ups. But, it is much thinner and less noticeable even between the touch-ups, and for me, it is utterly worth it.

edurnemk
12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Before your pregnancies, was the hair removal completely maintenance free? For instance, even after several years, were you having to wax or shave at all or go in for maintenance treatments? I am also considering laser, but would like to know how well it works and how long the treatments last before committing to the time and possible discomfort!

Before my pregnancies I didn't need much maintenance, except for having to pluck a couple of hairs every now and then, absolutely no waxing or shaving. I only had more hair grow back in my armpits, but decided to wait until after having kids to go in for maintenance sessions.

There have been threads about laser hair removal before too if you can find them. There is absolutely no way I would ever tolerate having my legs done. I used anesthetic cream, but it wears off really quickly once removed. That little area was all the pain that I could handle. Some say it feels like a rubberband snap, but I'd equate it to having a needle inserted for a shot... over and over and over.

I actually found the bikini area a lot more painful than the legs.