PDA

View Full Version : Santa gifts vs. Mom/Dad gifts

mcmanutm
12-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Do you give gifts only from Santa or some from Santa and some from mom and dad? If you do them seperately, how many gifts does Santa bring? My DS is 3 this year...so he now understands and this is all new to me. :)

redhookmom
12-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Santa gives all of the gifts at our house. He did the same for me and my husband. :-)

KrisM
12-19-2012, 11:46 PM
We split. I tend to make 3-4 Santa gifts and the rest from us and siblings. The things they ask Santa for come from him, typically.

SnuggleBuggles
12-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Santa brings 1-2 gifts- the most wanted items. Mom and dad do the rest. I think Santa's magic is reinforced when Santa gets the "wow" item(s). I can check my ego and let the big guy shine. :)

SASM
12-19-2012, 11:52 PM
In the past we have had 3 gifts from Santa (1 for each of the Wisemen) plus the stocking gifts, plus 1 gift from parents and 1 each from the sibs. The last last few years we have tried to simplify it and give 1 gift from Santa plus stocking gifts, 1 gift from the parents, and 1 each from the siblings. That proved too difficult to narrow it down to just 2 main gifts so we will probably go back to "3 Wisemen" gifts. Honestly, though, my kids just motor through the gifts, not know what came from who. I really like the idea of Want/Need/Wear/Read, so in a few years when the Santa confusion is past, we will probably go that route....hmmm...maybe I can incorporate that this year. It's already confusing enough...

belovedgandp
12-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Santa brings one or two things. When they were younger the "wow" things that had to be assembled and ready to play with - kitchen, easel, tricycle.

I try to get them to limit their "asks" to Santa to one item and give that to them from him. Otherwise it is the thing that would be the hardest to wrap since Santa doesn't wrap most things here.

Us (mom and Dad) give 4-5 gifts and I especially with the older ones (over about 6 or 7) I want credit for the cool gifts.

SASM
12-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Santa brings 1-2 gifts- the most wanted items. Mom and dad do the rest. I think Santa's magic is reinforced when Santa gets the "wow" item(s). I can check my ego and let the big guy shine. :)
That was my hope this year. I REALLY wanted Santa to give DS the Nexus 7 and DD1 the iPod, however, I cannot figure out how to delete any trace of my email accts and such off of the Nexus 7. So...I think we are going to give the big gifts this year. :( I feel bad getting credit for this one!

ellies mom
12-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Santa brings one gift and generally a middle sized gift the girl's really want or something I might not normally get. For example, DD2 loves Monster high dolls but tends to lose limbs rather quickly. I might not want to replace a ruined doll but Santa will.

For us, I like to limit the whole "well Santa will bring it". And this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wifecat
12-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Santa brings one gift each. Growing up, Santa always brought the biggest gift, but we're big on asking the kids what they want. As they get older I'm sure they'll figure out they should ask Santa for bigger stuff, but for now, dd asked for a Dora doll this year, and last year, for a real Dora bracelet and necklace (had to get that made on etsy). Ds asked for...an Elmo towel this year.

Kungjo
12-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Santa does one gift. It doesn't necessarily need to be the biggest one, but it is a gift that ranks high on the desirability/want list. Then DH and I buy the rest and it's labeled from us to them.

rin
12-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Santa fills stockings for Christmas morning, all other presents are from whoever gives them (Mom & Dad, grandparents, etc) and given on Christmas Eve.

Aishe
12-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Santa brings one gift (sometimes the biggest, sometimes not) and fills stockings. I never believed in Santa as a kid, so it's the tradition from my dh's family.

wellyes
12-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Santa brings most of the gifts. We keep it simple.

Penny's Pappa
12-20-2012, 02:39 AM
DD is not quite 3 yet so we're really just starting this whole Santa thing. The majority of gifts come from mommy and daddy. We'll do those gifts on Christmas Eve and then Santa shows up overnight and leaves his presents. Santa's gifts so far are the bigger ticket items and maybe a couple things to go with them.

123LuckyMom
12-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Santa stuffs our stockings only. We don't emphasize Santa. Maybe that will change as the DC grow up. When I was little, Santa brought a really good toy that I was allowed to open in the morning. We always had a big Christmas with lots of relatives and a feast at about 3-4pm. We didn't open presents until after dinner, so Santa's gift was a life saver for the grown ups!

essnce629
12-20-2012, 06:50 AM

This is what we do as well.

Santa will also sometimes bring the gift that's really wanted, but is something I wouldn't usually buy. Like last year, DS1 really wanted this remote control robot thing that I thought was pretty lame and knew he'd lose interest in after a few days. Well, Santa brought it, DS was ecstatic, and yes, he lost interest pretty quickly (he's now asking me to sell it on CL)!

Santa also fills the stockings (kids only, no adults).

alexsmommy
12-20-2012, 08:40 AM

We're somewhat opposite. Santa usually gets one of the "wow" items, but usually the most wanted item comes from us. We only get the big ""wow" items for Christmas, so we want the boys to feel as though we've heard them and are willing to make sacrifices to get them. When they are really little and had things like play kitchens, that was Santa. So for DS2, his much wanted "real microphone with a stand" will come from us, but the "big lego sets" will come from Santa. Since they "know" we'd never buy that many gifts at once, we've never had any concerns that Santa's magic isn't in full force.
This is our first year that DS1 does not believe, so his "wow" gift will be from "Santa" only because he's loving being on the grown up side of the secret and I know he'll play it up for the younger boys.
A little sad he's not believing but he asked me directly and he's old enough that it would feel like lying (as opposed to reinforcing a tradtion) to not tell him.

For OP, for us it's probably half and half. Oh, and things that would be a pain to wrap - all Santa. We wrap 85%- 90% of the gifts, but things like the Perplexus will be from Santa, unwrapped.

kristac
12-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Santa is bringing 1 wow item this year. Unwrapped. In years past he has brought up to 3 items.

We are doing 4 from us this year- something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read. ...and stockings....

pastrygirl
12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
That was my hope this year. I REALLY wanted Santa to give DS the Nexus 7 and DD1 the iPod, however, I cannot figure out how to delete any trace of my email accts and such off of the Nexus 7. So...I think we are going to give the big gifts this year. :( I feel bad getting credit for this one!

But Santa knows that those devices have to be tied to a grown up, and he still has your info...

pastrygirl
12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
We do 1 gift and the stocking from Santa. So far, they've only asked for one thing each year, so it's worked out. Not sure what we'll do when the list gets longer...

ETA: mom and dad do the want/need/wear/read gifts, and we've chosen the "want" gift each time, since Santa already covers their requested items.