PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Easy Bake Oven ... for a boy

Fairy
12-20-2012, 02:06 AM
It's not a question of if, it's when. DS has wanted this for years but I always forget. Hasbro is releasing a model in gender-neutral colors but not until NEXT holiday season, so the fall of 2013. That sucks cuz then he'll be 9 and in 3rd grade, and I honestly don't wanna wait. It's not expensive, $35 or so. Question is do I get him the purpose model now (he loves purple, but no question, it's girly) or wait till next year? I could also get it now and then get the boy one next year, too, then find something to do with the old one. I do not want to wait, I want this for his this xmas. but I really want the boy colors when it comes out.

Thoughts?

Aishe
12-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Just get it. I don't think the color scheme looks THAT girly, and if he has seen it and doesn't mind, why not? Why limit him?

JustMe
12-20-2012, 02:26 AM
. That sucks cuz then he'll be 9 and in 3rd grade, and I honestly don't wanna wait. It's not expensive, $35 or so. Question is do I get him the purpose model now (he loves purple, but no question, it's girly) or wait till next year? I could also get it now and then get the boy one next year, too, then find something to do with the old one. I do not want to wait, I want this for his this xmas. but I really want the boy colors when it comes out.

Thoughts?

Buy it now. If you still want the new model for next year's Christmas, so be it.

mom2binsd
12-20-2012, 02:27 AM
Today on Kelly and Michael they were talking about it, Michael freely admitted he used one back in the day and it was purple or pink..hey if the Minnesota Vikings can wear purple, Fairy's DS can use a purple Easy Bake Oven!

stillplayswithbarbies
12-20-2012, 02:34 AM
get it now. Next year he will be too old for it and will be baking real things in the real oven.

jenstring95
12-20-2012, 02:37 AM
RIDICULOUS that it is made in only "girl" colors still, but get it nonetheless. He will remember having and using it much more than he will remember what it looked like.

kali
12-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Just get it. I don't think the color scheme looks THAT girly, and if he has seen it and doesn't mind, why not? Why limit him?

:yeahthat: Does your DS care about the color? If not, why should you? At his age, he is fully aware of the gender connotations, and good for him for not caring!!

get it now. Next year he will be too old for it and will be baking real things in the real oven.

I would even argue that he's old enough now to use a regular oven or at least a toaster oven--with adult supervision, of course. At 8, I was making bagel pizzas, garlic bread, and brownies in the toaster oven.

RIDICULOUS that it is made in only "girl" colors still, but get it nonetheless. He will remember having and using it much more than he will remember what it looked like.

:yeahthat: Seriously, WTH? I remember this toy from my own childhood way back in the 70's. Never mind Free to be You and Me--it took Hasbro 10 seasons of Top Chef to figure out that maybe boys might be interested in cooking/baking??!!

new_mommy25
12-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I would get it now. DS uses DD's oven all the time. Never once has he made mention of the color. But this is coming from a mom who bought her son a pastel play kitchen. :)

mommyoftwo
12-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I would definitely not hesitate to get it now. It sounds like he's not at all concerned about the color and would have a great time with it.

Seitvonzu
12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
i'd get it now too :):):)

TwinFoxes
12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd get it now, I think by next year he'll be too old for it.

mickminmom
12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Another vote for buying this year :)

BabyBearsMom
12-20-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't see an issue with buying him something purple.

If you are concerned about the color, you could buy another brand. This is pretty gender neutral:
http://www.amazon.com/Step2-My-Own-Baking-Oven/dp/B004SL1HU4/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1356016567&sr=1-3&keywords=kids+oven

123LuckyMom
12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
I just want to say thank you for buying your son an Easy Bake Oven. When I was little, I DESPERATELY wanted one. I asked my mother multiple times over several years. She thought it was a silly purchase, because she was happy to let me use the real oven (with adult supervision, of course). She just didn't get it. I wanted the freedom to cook in my OWN oven, under a lightbulb, using packets of reconstituted God-knows-what! I never, ever truly recovered from not having one. ;) even now, the desire remains. It's a running joke in my family-- the never fulfilled yearning for an Easy Bake Oven. Please, please, get one for your child, and do not delay (although I do prefer more gender neutral colors in general, even though I am a girl). I still hold out a shining beacon of hope that one day, under the tree, there will be an Easy Bake Oven for me...

MontrealMum
12-20-2012, 11:27 AM
My DS is getting it this year. In purple. And he's getting it because I know he'll like it, and because I always wanted one and never got one :D Although he's quite vocal about pink being "a color for girls", he's fine with purple. The other day he took out the purple marker when we were drawing and said, "purple is a very stylish color for boys". So, I'd make sure your DS is against purple before deciding to wait. Kids don't always see things the way adults do.

KrisM
12-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I guess I'd get it. I was only thinking not because it says 8+ and figured another year would be fine and it wouldn't be outgrown. DD is 6.5 and wants one and I didn't get it because I figure she's not old enough, but now I'm thinking maybe I'm wrong as I read the ages of those using it here. Hmmm.

KDsMommy
12-20-2012, 12:20 PM
My DS also wants one but he's only 5 so I think I'll wait another year. He has no issues with the purple color.

JElaineB
12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
I would get it now. The purple isn't too girly.

Binkandabee
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
The color obviously doesn't bother him, so I would definitely get it this year and not even mention a different color scheme in the future.

mariza
12-20-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't see a problem with it. I don't think I personally would get one because I think the little cake pop and mini-pie, brownie etc. makers they sell at Kohls look like more fun and cook real food. However, that is the grown up on me. The kid in me would gladly accept an easy bake oven even now, regardless of color :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlu
12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Purple is the color of royalty.

kijip
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM

I agree.

hellokitty
12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Get it, he likes purple and this isn't like a piece of girly clothing he'd be wearing around. It's a toy, lots of younger brothers end up playing with their older sisters pink or purple colored toys and nobody even bats an eye. So, how is this any different? Anyway, I hope he loves it, it's cool to get them that gift that they really want. I was surprised to see that they made these oven so girly. The one I had as a kid was bright yellow, basically making it more gender neutral. They're missing out on sales for boys, stupid!

Fairy
12-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Off to get it! You guys are the best!

Fairy
12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
I got it! The very last one at TRU!

Clarity
12-20-2012, 05:27 PM
You realize, don't you, that based on this entire post I've had to order one from Amazon today so that my dd1 will have an easy bake oven. She'd asked for one and I had told her no. :( (dd2 has egg allergies so I wasn't sure it would be safe). Now I'm afraid she'll be scarred for life without one. LOL

Fairy
12-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh, Clarity! I'm so glad I could ... help? Kinda?

I was so excited buying this I cannot tell you. I was grinning and giggling like a complete dork. It's smushed, the box just a little, but unopened and in tact, so santa will have had a lot in is sleigh or something. I bought extra mix stuff, too. I do NOT wanna know what's in it! Partially hydrogytose corn syrup, whatever, I'm just not looking.

Thatn you thank you for the push, all!

dcmom2b3
12-20-2012, 10:08 PM

I was so excited buying this I cannot tell you. I was grinning and giggling like a complete dork. It's smushed, the box just a little, but unopened and in tact, so santa will have had a lot in is sleigh or something. I bought extra mix stuff, too. I do NOT wanna know what's in it! Partially hydrogytose corn syrup, whatever, I'm just not looking.

:applause:

Purple's the new camo. Really. :hug5:

jenstring95
12-21-2012, 12:03 AM

I love how excited you are to be buying this for your DS! Your enthusiasm is infectious. In a good way. :bighand:

wifecat
12-21-2012, 06:26 PM

I wish I could have seen you in line! I hope everyone around you got a little dose of Christmas cheer seeing how excited you were!

sophiesmom03
12-21-2012, 07:00 PM

I agree - and wanted to put in a plug for a Babycakes cupcake maker. Not exactly the Easy Bake of our youth but it's pretty great and my 9 year old can operate it pretty much on her own, though I do supervise because it's hot (like a waffle iron).

rlu
12-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree - and wanted to put in a plug for a Babycakes cupcake maker. Not exactly the Easy Bake of our youth but it's pretty great and my 9 year old can operate it pretty much on her own,
though I do supervise because it's hot (like a waffle iron).

The Babycakes maker was popular at my work's white elephant gift exchange.

SASM
12-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I haven't read the responses so I sure than someone has already mentioned this but have you considered painting it? They sell spray paint for plastic (SIL used it for painting plastic outdoor furniture). Not the idea situation but if the colors bother you/him, it's an option, especially since he is older.

michlyn
12-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Get it now. Dh wears purple and my home state football team's colors are purple (even their locker rooms and weight rooms have purple seats!). I am not into gender specific toys anyway (my son plays with dolls and my daughter plays with car Legos, etc) so I don't see the harm.