PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a bunion??

flashy09
12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Just got in some very cute flats from J Crew. So excited, I go to try them on and the shoe looks terrible....they are soft leather ballet flats and I can see this big bulge on the side of the shoe. I thought they were just too narrow, but when I looked at my foot, I have what appears to be a bunion! OMG, I feel too young for this! I googled it and the first suggestion is spend 6 months or so in wide flats....I don't think that will make any difference as that's basically what I have done for the past year staying home with the baby. Am I going to need surgery? Will my foot ever look normal? Ugh!

drako
12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I have them on both of my feet. When I went to a podiatrist when I was in my early twenties to have an ingrown toe nail surgically removed he said they were bad for someone so young!! I haven't had surgery and I am now in my upper 30s. They used to really hurt me when I was teaching, on my feet a lot and wearing dress shoes everyday. They don't bother me so much now since I am a SAHM and don't wear dress shoes too often anymore. I do wear danskos clogs alot and they don't seem to bother me when I am out and about. For me it really depends on the shoe. Shoes with high heals are definately out for me. As long as they aren't giving me persistant pain, I am not about to go through that surgery. Bunions tend to run in my family. I remember my grandfather having them and my neice who is a teenager has them as well. If they don't bother you, than I really wouldn't worry right now but you probably could go to a podiatrist to see what they say. For me if I'm not in pain, I am not going to worry about it. I can't wear really cute shoes but who cares...not me!! It's all about comfort for me.

flashy09
12-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I have them on both of my feet. When I went to a podiatrist when I was in my early twenties to have an ingrown toe nail surgically removed he said they were bad for someone so young!! I haven't had surgery and I am now in my upper 30s. They used to really hurt me when I was teaching, on my feet a lot and wearing dress shoes everyday. They don't bother me so much now since I am a SAHM and don't wear dress shoes too often anymore. I do wear danskos clogs alot and they don't seem to bother me when I am out and about. For me it really depends on the shoe. Shoes with high heals are definately out for me. As long as they aren't giving me persistant pain, I am not about to go through that surgery. Bunions tend to run in my family. I remember my grandfather having them and my neice who is a teenager has them as well. If they don't bother you, than I really wouldn't worry right now but you probably could go to a podiatrist to see what they say. For me if I'm not in pain, I am not going to worry about it. I can't wear really cute shoes but who cares...not me!! It's all about comfort for me.

Thanks so much. I am not quite ready to give up cute shoes though! Can you ever wear heels? I am 5'3 and feel really dumpy in a dress without them, especially at formal events. Is it a pain or fit issue that you can't wear heels? I don't seem to have any pain, just an extra wide foot now. Have they gotten bigger over the years? I think I could accomodate it now, but not if it gets much bigger.

drako
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Mine have not gotten bigger over the years. I don't wear heels because of the pain. If I wear them for a wedding or something, they are off most of the time since it hurts! I just have to be careful of the shoe. I'm not saying I can't wear any cute shoes, I just have to make sure they feel ok and the heel isn't too high.