PDA

View Full Version : Ready to puke....

Twoboos
12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
I can't find a pair of earrings. For my bday the year after my mom passed away, DH wanted to do something really special. He had DDs draw some pics, took them to a jeweler, and made the pics into a pendant and earrings. They are SO CUTE. Butterflies and little stick figures of DDs. He had our all birthstones put into them.

I can't find the earrings. I am SICK to my stomach. They are truly one of a kind.

It's making me sicker that we have house cleaners, so my first thought is they took them - not that I lost them. (But I don't wear them much and they are not hanging on the jewelry stand by the necklace, soooooo.....)

I'm trying to think of somewhere weird I would have put them. I may have worn them at Thanksgiving but truly can't remember for sure. I cannot call DH at work and ask him, he'll flip out and be more bummed than me.

F**K!!!

queenmama
12-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Oh, no! I hope you just stashed them someplace unusual without thinking... That would make me heartsick, too.

FWIW, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing worth stealing. It doesn't mean someone wouldn't, but something that personal/specific would only be "valuable" to the original recipient.

I sure hope they turn up! Good luck!

Lara

123LuckyMom
12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm sending finding-lost-things energy your way! Take a deep breath. Then start looking methodically. Check cracks between floorboards and baseboards. Check baseboard heaters if you have them. Look everywhere. You will find them. Also, call the cleaners, not to accuse but to find out if they remember seeing them anywhere. They might have, and if they did take them (which I highly doubt) if they know how much they mean to you, they might mysteriously reappear after your next cleaning.

TwoBees
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I hope you find them! I'm sedning lots of BBB mojo your way!

kara97210
12-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I really hope they turn up. I would try to take a deep breath and then look at any other places you may have taken them off. I recently found a necklace in a drawer in my powder room. I'd completely forgotten that I had taken it off in there during our holiday party. Not a place that I would generally be and definitely not a place I would leave jewelry. Check soap dishes, drawers, etc. I would also check you kid's rooms. My kids have very sticky fingers.

Good luck!

Twoboos
12-20-2012, 11:48 AM
FWIW, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing worth stealing. It doesn't mean someone wouldn't, but something that personal/specific would only be "valuable" to the original recipient.

Yes, this is what I'm thinking, too. I mean, there are jewels in them but not like 10 huge diamonds or anything!

Thank you for all the finding P&PT!! I am trying to keep calm. I am wondering if they're stashed in the corner of the safe. Of course, we lost 1 key so only DH has a key at the moment. <sigh> Have to wait to look. In the meantime I am going to look in other non-obvious places!!

misshollygolightly
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Any chance you packed them for a trip at some point? Do you have some travel pouches you use for jewelry, occasionally? Check your purses and evening bags...maybe you wore them out and then removed them. Good luck! That is so stressful.

Twoboos
12-20-2012, 03:46 PM
They are not in the safe. I really am going to puke.

I am going to very slowly keep looking and try not to panic. DH and DDs are going to be crushed. And if I really think it's the cleaners (they've been cleaning our house for *7* years!!) obviously we will have to let them go and DH will never agree go have anyone clean again.

Ugh.

elektra
12-20-2012, 04:09 PM
When I find stuff like this, it's been in the following places:
A coat pocket
In my purse
In a jewelry pouch where I keep other stuff (I had swapped out my regular necklace for somethign fancy while traveling, and put my regular necklace in the fancy pouch and had forgotten about it.

Have you gotten any massages lately where you would have taken them off right before and left at the place?

I also think that it's probably not the cleaners. :)

hillview
12-20-2012, 04:10 PM
FWIW my wedding earrings just turned up a year later. In a zipper compartment of a purse.

misshollygolightly
12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Would you have taken them off somewhere to try on an outfit or get a haircut? Sometimes I take off heavy earrings in the car and stick them in the cupholder or armrest. Any chance DH might have taken the earrings with him to see about getting a matching necklace made as a Christmas surprise? Would any of your kids have possibly picked them up to play with?

ourbabygirl
12-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Sending lots of mojo that you can find the earrings, and also a St. Anthony prayer, just in case! (St. Anthony, St. Anthony, please come around- something is lost and cannot be found!) :)

I've lost earrings in the past, too, and when I *have* found them again, they've been in my wallet or purse in general, in my makeup bag (sometimes I'll put them in a side pocket and forget about them there), or maybe in a different section of my jewelry box, or on the nightstand. Or maybe a swim bag if we had swim class.

Good luck- I really hope they turn up for you soon! :hug:

lmh2402
12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
oh my...i know that feeling

praying you come across them soon :hug: :hug:

happymom
12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Did you host Thanksgiving? Any chance they would be in an apron pocket? My aunt found her diamond engagement ring in a special holiday apron that she has- a year later!

If you didn't host, could you have taken them off by your host's house?

I sometimes put my rings into a kitchen drawer (always the same one) when I'm cooking...any chance they were bothering you in the kitchen and you put them in a drawer or cabinet?

Is it possible your DD took them to show to a friend (or just to look at) and forgot to put them back? Or even your DH took them to show someone without mentioning to you?

Did you take them off for a haircut?

Do you have any pictures from Thanksgiving that you could look at to see if you had them then?

They sound very special- sending mojo your way that you find them quickly! FWIW, I have lost things like that before and then it will suddenly occur to me (out of nowhere!) that I put them in X place....here's to hoping that happens to you!

happymom
12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Any chance DH might have taken the earrings with him to see about getting a matching necklace made as a Christmas surprise?

I think OP mentioned that she has a matching necklace already...but the same thought occurred to me- that DH took them to make another (similar) set as a surprise or something along those lines...

Momit
12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Sending you searching mojo as you hunt for the earrings!

khm
12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Do you have pics from Thanksgiving? Can you see if you are wearing them then?

I have found earring in zipper pockets of both my purse, my makeup bag, and in the camera bag. Coin slot in my purse.

I'd check the laundry room, in case they were in a pocket and fell out.

Cupholders/nooks in the car. Makeup drawer.

Of all the gadgetry and more expensive jewelry I'd bet you have, I just don't think these particular earrings would be something a long time housecleaner would take. It wouldn't be worth the risk, they are too unique, not very sellable, etc.

I would ask your kids, too. I noticed a friend wearing a very pretty engagement ring the other day, it wasn't her usual one. She said it was just costume jewelry and that her real ring was "somewhere in the toy room" she knew after interrogating her daughter, but she hadn't been able to find it. It did eventually turn up inside some toy.

wendibird22
12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Do you always wear the earrings and necklace at the same time or do you wear them separately? If together, and you have the necklace then I would start thinking about times when I'd remove my earrings...trying on clothes, getting my hear cut, a massage, wearing a hat or scarf they'd catch on, dentist (xrays they make me remove mine).

Purse
wallet
travel bag/luggage
jewelry box
box the came in or some other gift box (if you keep them)
dresser drawers
make up bag
medicine cabinet
bathroom vanity drawers
gym bag
gym locker
coat pocket
lunch bag (yours)
sweatshirt/sweater/hoodie pocket
"junk" drawer
car (cup holder, glove box, CD tray)
couch/chair cushions
DHs coat pockets (in case you gave them to him to hold onto)
swimming gear bag

How often do you typically wear them? Do you wear them for certain occasions or with certain outfits? Maybe trying to remember the last time you wore them will help...

mackmama
12-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Can you remember the last time that you wore them? That might help jog the memory of where they could be. If you can remember what you were wearing with them, that usually jogs my memory better and helps me walk through the day a bit easier.

Do you have a dresser where you could have laid down the earrings, and then maybe they slipped into one of the drawers (or behind the dresser)?

Have you checked pockets on clothes, jackets, purses?

Have you gone anywhere where you'd remove your earrings (haircut,etc)?

Could they be in your car between the seats or in a console?

Have you looked on the floors - in the laundry room, garage, closet, etc in case they fell out of a pocket?

Could your kids have put them somewhere - playing with them and then left them in a drawer or inside of a toy?

Since they're both missing, I'm thinking that they were probably put/stashed somewhere rather than lost. I agree it doesn't sound like something that would be stolen. Could you call your cleaners and ask if they moved them somewhere? Maybe they put them somewhere while cleaning.

musicalgrl
12-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Say a prayer to St. Anthony! He always helps me out.

I really hope they turn up. Sending you good wishes!