PDA

View Full Version : S/O What toy did YOU desperately want as a child and not get?

doberbrat
12-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Me: Sit and Spin, Easy Bake Oven - my mom thought it was dumb when we had a real oven I should use and just learn to be careful. A doll that came in a fancy moses basket with beautiful clothes including a Christening gown. My mom didnt have the $$ that day and by payday, it was gone and never seen again.

BabyBearsMom
12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Power wheels and Teddy Roxbin (spelling?).

smilequeen
12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
A play kitchen. I bought one for DS1 on his first birthday because I never had one and wanted one so badly :)

kara97210
12-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Easy bake oven and Barbie dream house (or really Barbie anything) - my parents were hippies so it wasn't going to happen. I would have given my right foot for and easy bake oven.

speo
12-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Strawberry Shortcake Berry House - this was way out of my parent's price range

Easy Bake Oven - my parents thought this was silly, especially since we actually baked a lot

billysmommy
12-20-2012, 11:52 AM
The big Strawberry Shortcake doll that blew strawberry scented kisses

elbenn
12-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Barbie's palomino horse, Dallas. It had hair for its mane and tail. I got a plastic palomino horse bought at a garage sale that was about the right size, and when the plastic tail broke, I glued a barbie wig (one of my barbies had wigs for different hairstyles) for the tail.:)

Twoboos
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Easy Bake Oven and Barbie Dream House. Got the Barbie pool instead - which sprung a leak and got water everywhere!

I've almost gotten the Oven for DDs the past two Christmases, just b/c I wanted it so much! :ROTFLMAO:

sariana
12-20-2012, 12:06 PM
A Lite-Brite and Legos. I don't think I ever actually asked for the Legos, though. My little brother eventually got both, so I "helped" him with them.

newnana
12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
gotta say, all these replies about the easy bake oven are seriously making me reconsider my stance on not getting one for DD. She's been asking for a few years and I'm of the opinion that we have a real oven and you can't cook with a light bulb, but you guys seem kind of scarred by it. Hmm, do I reconsider?

We cook a lot in our kitchen together. My brother and I used mine to melt crayons growing up (and anything else we could think of), but other than that didnt' get a lot of play. So debating!

kaharris83
12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Power Wheels. I bought one of the smaller ones for DS1 because I wanted one so badly as a kid and he's terrified of it. Hoping DS2 will find the Power Wheels love.

boolady
12-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Atari is the only one that I can think of. Eventually, we got an Adam computer, which used your tv as a monitor and accepted Colecovision games, but there was never the selection or graphics of Atari. My parents just were not into gadgets. Unfortunately for DD, I think she'll be able to say the same. :rotflmao:

AngB
12-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Not toys, I was a little older, all I wanted (desperately) was a pager. This was before cell phones were common. I cried when I didn't get it and my parents felt so bad I got it 2 days later on my birthday. I still shake my head about that.

KLD313
12-20-2012, 12:19 PM
A pac-man electronic game. It looked like a mini arcade machine. I still complain to my mom about not getting it.

waitingforgrace
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Lite-brite

Binkandabee
12-20-2012, 12:48 PM
An American Girl Doll. Fortunately, my DD isn't much into hers, so I get to play with one now, so it's all good!

MamaMolly
12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
My older sister got a Cinderella birthday cake one year with a plastic carriage and horses and everything. I desperately wanted it, my mom would never get me one and my sister wouldn't let me play with hers. I recently bought myself the Cinderella Squinkies set and plan to put it on my birthday cake every year until I die. Seriously.

I still want the Mousetrap game.

boilermakermom
12-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Legos. My brother had hundreds and would never let me play with them. My parents refused to buy me my own when there were so many in the house.

Needless to say, DD has a ton, and we play with them daily.

Clarity
12-20-2012, 12:59 PM
A pony. :( Not a toy, I know, but it's probably the only thing I ever wanted desperately and didn't get.

AJP
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Snoopy snow cone machine. My SIL bought me one a few yrs ago as a joke gift. It was horrible, but I still would have loved it when I was little!

ellies mom
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Easy Bake Oven - my mom thought it was dumb when we had a real oven I should use and just learn to be careful.

Wow, your mom sounds just like my mom. I wanted an Easy Bake oven so bad but no, we had a perfectly good oven sitting right there in the kitchen. I don't remember how badly I wanted it but the Baby Alive doll was nixed too.

And now I'm channeling my mom. DD2 has been asking for an Easy Bake oven and she is getting the same answer "We have a perfectly good oven. If you want to bake we can use that". I nixed the new Baby Alive doll too because in addition to the mess, it is beyond creepy looking. I'm thinking about buying mini-baking pans as a compromise.

AngB
12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Snoopy snow cone machine. My SIL bought me one a few yrs ago as a joke gift. It was horrible, but I still would have loved it when I was little!

We had this. OMG, it was horrible. I remember it being a PITA even as a kid. I think we used it less than 5 times ever.

123LuckyMom
12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
GET YOUR CHILDREN EASY BAKE OVENS!!! ;) Read of my pain here:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=449559

The real oven is not the same! It's just not. How would you feel if you could only bake in your mother's oven?!? Just trust me on this one. (And I'm only sort of kidding.)

ellies mom
12-20-2012, 01:21 PM
gotta say, all these replies about the easy bake oven are seriously making me reconsider my stance on not getting one for DD. She's been asking for a few years and I'm of the opinion that we have a real oven and you can't cook with a light bulb, but you guys seem kind of scarred by it. Hmm, do I reconsider?

I guess a better question is whether we are buying our kids one in order to relive our youth or channeling our parents and saying "No, we already have an oven".

Plus, without a little "scarring" they won't have good stories to tell. Think how boring this thread would have been if everyone responded with "I got everything I wanted". Now we can commiserate on our shared broken dreams. Why deny our children that? :wink2:

ETA- LuckyMom- Having read about your pain, think of all the family fun and jokes you would have missed out on over the years if you had gotten one as a child. Although in all honesty, I'm flummoxed that some sibling hasn't bought you one by now. It is such an obvious choice for a gift and would make for a fun afternoon of grown-up baking fun.

AnnieW625
12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
A Molly American Girl doll, but I was 11 or 12 or so when I first found about them (a neighbor who was 8 or 9 had Samantha), but I was pretty self concious about prices of stuff then, and because they were still somewhere between $60-$80 then I never asked for one, and I knew it would be a stretch for my parents to get me one so I never asked. I will be buying Molly if she ever gets discontinued.

Not toys, but in the 7th grade I wanted these Paula Abdul Reeboks:
http://s.ecrater.com/stores/146213/4b7ddd799b250_146213b.jpg

and
Nike Air Jordan V in emerald/purple

kijip
12-20-2012, 01:46 PM
I went through a period of ogling the American Girl catalog and wanting a doll, either Molly or Felicity. But price wise in my family that was as futile/out of reach as asking for my own helicopter so I never made a deal out of it. I was about 10 or 11? I recall them being about $100 or so...they are cheaper now if you consider inflation but that was before they were sold to a big corp. I am sure they have cheaper manufacturing options today.

I also loved Legos and we never got those either. It was before the patent expired so off brand options were not available. This was when I was about 6 and up.

I liked the looks of the easy bake oven but that desire faded when I used one at a friend's house and realized I could make a better cake in the oven at home.

emily_gracesmama
12-20-2012, 01:48 PM
A ride on Barbie jeep. My friend had one!

hellokitty
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
There were three things on my list, an easy bake oven, strawberry shortcake (the blueberry one), and a swatch watch.

My grandfather ended up getting me an easy bake oven when he came to visit us in the US, however, it was so disappointing. The unit he had bought must have been really old, b/c there were MEAL WORMS in the cake mix. :( I think eventually my mom found more mix packets, but the cake didn't turn out that great and it just turned out to be a big let down.

Last Christmas, DH got me a swatch watch. I really, really wanted one of these in jr high and my parents, got me an ugly barbie pink armitron watch instead. I was so irritated. It wasn't even a matter of costs, my parents were like, "well, it's the same thing." They did however, get both of my brothers swatch watches and they were so young, they did not even know about the trend, so I was REALLY pissed, and felt like they were jerks on purpose to me. So, DH got me a swatch watch as a surprise gift last yr, and I like it, but of course, it's still not the same as getting it when you were a kid and really wanted one. Plus, I would have picked a rather obnoxious looking one when I was younger, compared to the very toned down one dh got me last yr, lol.

I never got any strawberry shortcake dolls (and I wasn't into dolls, which irritated my parents, so it is annoying that they knew I wanted one of these dolls, but never got one for me), but someone gave me some strawberry shortcake board game and it just wasn't the same.

new_mommy25
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Mine was an AG Kirsten doll. I asked for her for years and I'm still a little bitter I never got her. I'm still kicking myself for not buying her when she was discontinued but it came at a time when I didn't have the spare cash and my DH would have been WTF when a $100 doll came in the mail. Last year my sisters gave me a Kirsten mini doll just for fun. :)

Mommy_Mea
12-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Cabbage patch kid. I eventually did get one, but it was after the craze started to wind down and my parents could actually get one at the store for regular price, which was all they could afford. I didn't know the difference, and was overjoyed when I saw the right shaped gift under the tree :-) but I remember desperately praying for one for what feels like years before that (probably only a year, lol)

kdeunc
12-20-2012, 03:07 PM
GET YOUR CHILDREN EASY BAKE OVENS!!! ;) Read of my pain here:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=449559

The real oven is not the same! It's just not. How would you feel if you could only bake in your mother's oven?!? Just trust me on this one. (And I'm only sort of kidding.)
:yeahthat: Same story here. However, my mom found one at their church yard sale a couple of years ago and got it for me. I am probably the only woman in her late 30's to get an easy bake for her birthday! :)

doberbrat
12-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Wow, your mom sounds just like my mom. I wanted an Easy Bake oven so bad but no, we had a perfectly good oven sitting right there in the kitchen. I don't remember how badly I wanted it but the Baby Alive doll was nixed too.

And now I'm channeling my mom. DD2 has been asking for an Easy Bake oven and she is getting the same answer "We have a perfectly good oven. If you want to bake we can use that". I nixed the new Baby Alive doll too because in addition to the mess, it is beyond creepy looking. I'm thinking about buying mini-baking pans as a compromise.

hee hee I did have mini baking pans. and I got the baby alive doll from a friend who was done with it but I didnt know htat you were supposed to give it water to clear it out after feeding it and it got some sort of bug infestation and into the trash it went.

I'd forgotten about barbie house lust... :ROTFLMAO:

Its funny, my girls have never heard of the easy bake oven but I'm tempted to get one ...

MommyAllison
12-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Easy bake oven, and a video game system. As an adult I'm kind of glad my parents didn't cave on the video games, even though DH and my BILs run circles around me on every video game ever made now - but never stopped wanting the easy bake oven!

MontrealMum
12-21-2012, 03:23 AM
What a trip down memory lane reading all the replies! I'll just say, though, that one person's want does not always equal another's. I was desperate for an Easy Bake Oven (my mom thought it was a fire hazard), as well as Baby Alive (my mom thought it would be messy - and it was based on my friends' experiences). I never got either one. I also really wanted a dog. I got fish instead. Honestly, though, I have no cause for complaint. My parents were well situated enough to make Christmas and birthdays very nice for me, even if I didn't always get exactly everything I wanted. And that's probably a good thing, eh?

But I did get the following from my grandparents along with the matching Barbie...who had wires here and there in her hair to make it easier to curl
Barbie's palomino horse, Dallas. It had hair for its mane and tail. Yes, I did like it and certainly played with it, but it was never on my wish list. I did have a bunch of Barbies - the first purchased by the same grandparents even after my mom had "banned" them (yes, they were her parents). But unlike many other girls I was just not into horses in a big way. I'm not making light of elbenn's situation, but reading this makes me realize how very personal all these wants/likes really are. My BFF had the Barbie Dream House. That's what I *really* wanted. That elevator was cool!

citymama
12-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Just about everything. OTOH, I didn't really "want" because I didn't really expect much. Heck, there wasn't all that much out there to want!

The things I did get that I wanted were Barbies, a Mickey Mouse watch and a doll that could walk and talk. :)

ETA: Oh wait, I know - an aquarium and pet fish! I was obsessed with them but never got them. Guess what we have in the kids' room? ;)

Fairy
12-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Ok, shockingly, I know, for the win ... an easy bake oven. It has nothing to do with me getting one for ds! But I did so want this. And the snoopy snow cone machine. My friend had one, I coveted the thing. I've almost gotten it for ds a couple times, tho he's never asked.

Btw, easy bakes aren't light bulb anymore. U can get one with it on amazon from a seller mint for hundreds of $$ if u really wanted tho ...

A sit and spin and hippity hop.

The biggie for me that still makes me pine were piano lessons. I begged my entire life. Never got them; taught myself when I was 7. Still do very well on the right hand but will never be able to unlearn the wrong way I taught myself the bass cleff. Begged, begged, begged, never got cuz it just fell thru the priority list cracks.

queenmama
12-21-2012, 04:15 AM
A Lite Brite!

I did have an Easy Bake, Snoopy Sno Cone Machine, Barbie Dream House (and Ferrari, Corvette, etc. I was spoiled with Barbies)... But never the dang Lite Brite.

There was also a pair of slouchy boots I beggggged for, from Kmart, of all places. You must understand, at that time, where I lived, Kmart had a major stigma. It was not cool to shop there, but I wanted those boots regardless. I guess I'm still bitter about not getting them. :p

Lara

ellies mom
12-21-2012, 05:53 AM
My BFF had the Barbie Dream House. That's what I *really* wanted. That elevator was cool!

I did get the Barbie Dream House. The elevator was cool. I was thinking about how cool that elevator was the other day. Interestingly though, I made a "studio apartment" using an old boot box and I remember playing with that way more often.

I was telling my mom about this conversation and she told me that she really wanted an easy bake oven when she was a kid and her mom told her that they had a perfectly good oven too. So apparently, we have three generations of dashed Easy Bake Oven dreams.

doberbrat
12-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Btw, easy bakes aren't light bulb anymore. U can get one with it on amazon from a seller mint for hundreds of $$ if u really wanted tho ...

so, how do they work??

123LuckyMom
12-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I guess a better question is whether we are buying our kids one in order to relive our youth or channeling our parents and saying "No, we already have an oven".

Plus, without a little "scarring" they won't have good stories to tell. Think how boring this thread would have been if everyone responded with "I got everything I wanted". Now we can commiserate on our shared broken dreams. Why deny our children that? :wink2:

ETA- LuckyMom- Having read about your pain, think of all the family fun and jokes you would have missed out on over the years if you had gotten one as a child. Although in all honesty, I'm flummoxed that some sibling hasn't bought you one by now. It is such an obvious choice for a gift and would make for a fun afternoon of grown-up baking fun.

Of course, you're right, and I am not in reality scarred by my lack of easy bake oven! ;) it's just that Christmas should be a little bit about magic and miracles and impractical abundance, IMO, and though the easy bake oven is not at all a practical gift, getting one for a child who wants it desperately is a good thing to do. It shows that you understand and support that child's desire for the independent baking of totally unnatural cakes, and it injects a little bit of that impractical abundance into the Christmas season. Buy the oven!!! ;)

arivecchi
12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
A big dollhouse with lights and furniture. How I coveted those! And no girls here so I don't even get to live vicariously through a DD!

Pear
12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
A microscope

bisous
12-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I really wanted a horse. SO impractical for our family. We lived in a perfectly nice house in the suburbs of CA on about 1/6 of an acre...

Otherwise, I seriously can't think of anything that I really, really wanted that I didn't get!

Puddy73
12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Cabbage Patch Kid doll. I can vividly remember standing in Kmart in my big puffy coat just staring at them and reading all of their goofy names. I did get a knockoff version, but it wasn't the same.

DD1 received one as a gift a few years ago but she never played with it and I eventually donated it to Goodwill.

kijip
12-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Oh, I also wanted a pogo stick which my mom deemed too dangerous.

wifecat
12-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Easy Bake Oven and one of those power wheels car things you can drive. My brother had an Easy Bake Oven and mom was over it by the time I wanted one (he caught his on fire, but he did that with everything).

Fairy
12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
so, how do they work??

I dunno, I'm confused, myself! I'm gonna google it.

buddyleebaby
12-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Not a toy, but I was desperate to go see Snow White and the seven dwarves on ice. I felt genuinely sad about missing it for a couple of years afterwards. My mom later said if she had any idea I wanted to go *that* badly, she would have found a way to make it happen.

Instead, I went to another Disney on Ice show as an adult, and my mom treated me to a sno cone. :ROTFLMAO:

indigo99
12-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Strangely enough, I can't think of anything that I wanted and didn't get. We were actually pretty poor (we did replace the outhouse with a real bathroom when we moved into my childhood home but we used a wood stove for heat). My grandmother found a way to get us what we really wanted though (ez bake, snoopy snowcone machine, cabbage patch etc), and we lived on a farm so I already had ponies. GM did shop at garage sales a lot.

eta: My poor little brother is still upset that my sister and I got real cabbage patch dolls, and he got a knock-off.

lmh2402
12-21-2012, 07:59 PM
a pet. i desperately wanted a cat or a dog. but my dad, siblings and myself were/are allergic to cats, so that was never going to happen.

and my father was afraid of dogs, though he tried to tell everyone he just didn't like them.

however, the year my youngest sibling was a senior in high school...that spring. my parents got themselves a dog. they tried to tell everyone that they were finally getting "us" (my sister?) a dog. but my sister was leaving in the summer. it was a blatant attempt to thwart empty nest issues

amazing...annoying... that we all begged for a pet for YEARS... and then they went and got a dog when everyone left. and it's the worst dog ever too. has the. worst. personality. and they both love him to pieces. even more annoying.

hellokitty
12-21-2012, 08:22 PM
a pet. i desperately wanted a cat or a dog. but my dad, siblings and myself were/are allergic to cats, so that was never going to happen.

and my father was afraid of dogs, though he tried to tell everyone he just didn't like them.

however, the year my youngest sibling was a senior in high school...that spring. my parents got themselves a dog. they tried to tell everyone that they were finally getting "us" (my sister?) a dog. but my sister was leaving in the summer. it was a blatant attempt to thwart empty nest issues

amazing...annoying... that we all begged for a pet for YEARS... and then they went and got a dog when everyone left. and it's the worst dog ever too. has the. worst. personality. and they both love him to pieces. even more annoying.

Lol, not the same comparison, but this is what happened with us and cable tv. My parents refused to get it, we were the only family in the social circle that my parents hung out with that didn't have cable. If we went to someone's house, I'd just sit there and watch tv, b/c it was such a novelty. Of course, when my youngest brother went off to college, my parents got cable. We were ticked, they obviously did it on purpose, my brothers and I still think that they did it on purpose, just to be jerks. DH often refers to stuff that was on cable when we were teenagers and I have no clue what he's talking about, since I didn't have cable. I remember the first time he discovered this, he asked me what rock I lived under, when it came to a lot of pop culture type of stuff.

Carrots
12-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Every year I asked for the pink elephant with red spots from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer movie, but I never got him. Then when I was in my 20s, CVS came out with stuffed animals of the characters, so I finally bought myself one. I also got a tree ornament. :)

SASM
12-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Not a toy...I REALLY wanted real high-heeled clogs. They rocked...brown leather with some fancy coloring (think late 70's early 80's style) and they made NOISE!! I still pine for those things...DD2 takes right after me!

Carrots
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Not toys, I was a little older, all I wanted (desperately) was a pager. This was before cell phones were common. I cried when I didn't get it and my parents felt so bad I got it 2 days later on my birthday. I still shake my head about that.

Ahhh... another "born between Christmas and New Years" gal. I feel your pain. :) I'm on the 30th.

swrc00
12-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I wanted an American Girl doll. I can remember getting the catalog and making a list of the things I wanted. It is probably a good thing I am having another boy. I live way to close to the AG store.

nrp
12-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Both of mine have been mentioned upthread - Snoopy Sno Cone Machine and the Barbie Dream Pool. Both vetoed for mess factor. I bought myself a (non-snoopy) shaved ice maker a couple of years ago, though. Love it! Maybe I need to look for a vintage Barbie pool for Christmas next year. For DD... yeah, for DD...

belovedgandp
12-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't know if I ever asked for and was denied either of these, but I remember always playing with the Sit'n'Spin and Chutes and Ladders at other houses. Yes, my kids have both.

Mom of XX&XY
12-22-2012, 08:32 PM

We cook a lot in our kitchen together. My brother and I used mine to melt crayons growing up (and anything else we could think of), but other than that didnt' get a lot of play. So debating!

Me too. I never had one but never wanted one. I always tell my DD it's silly. Obviously though it must be very interesting to a kid. I am also reconsidering!

ZeeBaby
12-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Barbie dream house and Barbie dolls!