PDA

View Full Version : Website to watch TV shows when out of the US?

happymom
12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
We are out of the US for a few weeks and I would love to watch a few shows (current shows) but Hulu and ABC.com don't allow it from out of the US. Any ideas?

Thanks

AnnieW625
12-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Buy a Slingbox. It is a virtual DVR from what I understand. I have never used one, but I believe you logon to the system and watch things from your DVR.

Check and see if Netflix works.

If you are going to be in England you might be able to watch Downton Abbey on ITV (I think that is the station....swoon:))

urquie
12-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Buy a Slingbox.

:yeahthat:

happymom
12-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks, I will manage for a few weeks without TV...not going to buy a slingbox for just a 2-3 week stay.

Annie, I'm not in England- that would have been awesome though :)!

wolverine2
12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure itunes works from outside the us if you want to buy things and download them- not sure if amazon does. Sometimes though countries have their own setup and you can't purchase anything if the ISP of the device you're on shows you are out of the US. Last time I was overseas I realized I couldn't buy a new book for my nook on the BN website, but I got my brother in the US to buy it for me and I could still download it to my nook, which was with me.

Snow mom
12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
At least in some countries there are ways you can get your computer to fake a US IP address to use sites that only work in the US. It basically requires a proxy and I think how easy of a work around this is depends on what country. You might google "get US IP address" with the country you'll be in.

fedoragirl
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I am not in the U.S. and we are able to watch shows on Hulu and Netflix. All you need is your laptop/tablet and a VPN. They charge you by the month or by the year. I have tried free ones and they have been crappy. PM me if you want details.

american_mama
12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
We are preparing to go overseas for 6 months next year and I asked this of a BBB user who lives there. I hope she does not mind me paraphrasing her reply to me:

"Use a service to "unlock" websites from other countries, like unotelly.com, overplay.net and unblock-us.com. Works with computer, ipad, and Apple TV. If you go on the individual websites they have FAQ sections describing how to use it with various brands of tablets and gaming systems.

A VPN only gave access to the US content and not any UK channels. With the DNS number, you can now watch all the great programming on BBC, ITV, US Netflix account, hulu plus. Some youtube videos are also blocked without the VPN/DNS which is annoying when you are following links and can't watch the clips."