PDA

View Full Version : s/o: what toys/stuff did you get as a kid that you really wanted?

AnnieW625
12-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Here is my list:

Cabage Patch Doll, I got my first one right on the heels or about 6 months to a year after my neighbors got theirs from the actual Babyland General Hospital in Atlanta (their dad's best friend brought them their dolls). My parents friend found it for them in the bay area somewhere, he later told me it was mass hysteria trying to find the thing. I got my second one, a world traveler doll in 1987 or 1988. This was from my parents.

Barbie & The Rockers, I got Barbie, another doll, and my grandparents went over the top and got me the stage.

Care Bears bear

I never asked for it, but the year I was into Strawberry Shortcake I got her doll house as well. It got a lot of play. Again my grandparents went overboard and got it for me.

I asked for a typewriter in the 8th or 9th grade. That thing got me through my jr. year in high school when we got my aunt and uncle's old Apple 2E computer.

Guess jean jacket (although the original one my grandma bought me didn't fit and she bought me a mens small instead of a women's small so I had to put a pin over the green/blue Guess logo because I didn't want people knowing I was wearing a men's jacket. My grandma to this day is horrible with gift receipts)

FWIW, I never wanted an EZ Bake oven.

kijip
12-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Cabbage patch when I was 5. Big deal since we had so little money. I still don't know how they managed it. This was at the height of CP doll mania.

10 speed bike for my birthday when I was 12. Rode that thing until I bought my own bike when I was 21.

candaceb
12-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Another Cabbage Patch Kid here. The year it was so big at Christmas (1983? I think I was in 4th grade).
I said that I would rather wait it out and get one after Christmas than not get one. We were at my aunt & uncle's house in Oakland CA for Christmas and my uncle decided he was going to find me a doll. He and my mom went to a store in Berkeley on Christmas Eve and came back with Joshua Chadwick.

amldaley
12-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Cabbage Patch Doll - I cried I was so happy!

Guitar (though no lessons to go with it. They bought me a guitar that was too big for me, one pick (I learned to cut picks out of yogurt lids) and a teach yourself book. I learned one chord - G7 - fourth finger, fourth fret - and the next chord was too hard to learn on my own, my hand was not big enough to reach and so I never played the thing again).

buddyleebaby
12-21-2012, 12:01 AM
I got a commodore 64.

Coolest.gift.ever.

lalasmama
12-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Henrietta Rosalinda came to live with us in 1984 or 1985. She still is in my room. A year or two later, Adelee Roxanne came home. Henrietta was a preemie, Adelee was a clown kid. There were many more Canbage Patch Kids over the years!

crl
12-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Lots I am sure, but Barbie Townhouse totally stands out as something I really wanted, didn't think I'd get, but I did!

Catherine

Fairy
12-21-2012, 12:16 AM
I got a commodore 64.

Coolest.gift.ever.

Are you my husband?

* Barbie head. I wanted that sooooo bad and got it.
* tape recorder. Old school. I may have it in a box somewhere.
* matchbox car racing set. Loved that thing.

melrose7
12-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Cabbage patch doll here too. I heard the story many years later how my mom, Grandpa, and one of my Aunts went out in the terrible, crazy crowds to get one. I ended up having 2 over the years and they got much love.

A touch tone phone in my room. I asked for that for a long time before finally getting one.

A ouigi (sp) board. I think because I didn't believe anymore and didn't think my parents would get this for me. We only got presents from Santa. That was used at a lot of sleepovers.

KLD313
12-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Cabbage Patch for sure. I had two, one my mom ordered and the other she got in Paris on a business trip with my dad. She said the stores in Paris had tons of them and all the American women on the trip were going crazy getting them.

Kymberley
12-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I got a commodore 64.

Coolest.gift.ever.

YES! I was pretty young, but man! That was a cool computer. It was my dad's, but I had my very own muppets control board to go with it!

All things My Little Pony. I had, and still have, over 70.

And Helga Maggie and Corina Lenore came to live with me during the CB craze. Loved those girls. :)

AnnieW625
12-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Our Nintendo in 1988. I think my brother has it now.

Cabbage patch when I was 5. Big deal since we had so little money. I still don't know how they managed it. This was at the height of CP doll mania.

10 speed bike for my birthday when I was 12. Rode that thing until I bought my own bike when I was 21.

My 10 speed bike I got when I was 10. I rode it into adulthood as well. I don't have a bike now. DH put it next to the dumpster when we moved to our house. I t had been ages since I rode it and I cried. I was almost 28 yrs. old. It was gone in less than an hour. I just had to hope it went to someone who used it.

redhookmom
12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I really wanted and Santa brought me a cassette player. 70s version of the Itouch.

hollybloom24
12-21-2012, 10:16 AM
- Merlin
- Esprit sweatshirt (the kind with "ESPRIT" written across the chest.)
- Swatch

pastrygirl
12-21-2012, 10:43 AM
I feel so bad looking back on this, but my sister and I REALLY wanted a cabbage patch kid during that insane Christmas craze. My mom made us homemade dolls instead and we did not appreciate it. I remember liking the doll but also vocally being bitter about it. My parents never gave into fads and were not materialistic at all, hoping to pass that onto us. But a few months after Christmas, CPK dolls appeared on our beds. We were thrilled!!

I can totally see myself wanting to make a better homemade version of a commercial product hoping that my kids would cherish it, and getting shot down. It would break my heart, as I imagine it broke my mom's.

wifecat
12-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Cabbage Patch for me, too.

And my toy kitchen another year...and lite bright...and a Barbie dreamhouse...

wolverine2
12-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Guess overalls. My grandmother's went in together to get it for me, and they wrapped up the legs in 2 different colors of gift wrap. It was cute. I loved those overalls.

I also got a Cabbage Patch (I think it was called a preemie- it was bald)- I was kind of older than the target age (I think I was 10 or 11), but I still loved it.

I also remember being so excited to get a Baby That-A-Way

mikeys_mom
12-21-2012, 12:40 PM
My b-day is in October and the year of the Cabbage Patch craze I asked everyone to give me $ because I wanted to buy myself a Cabbage patch doll. I think I was 7 or 8. I remember adding up the $24.99 and going downtown with my father to pick out Daphne Barbara. It was far enough before xmas that I got exactly the one I wanted. She is still in good shape living at my parents house and my girls play with her when we visit.

Also, when I was 5 or 6 we spent the summer at a cottage in Maine and I wanted this doll called Baby Rub a Dub that could go in the bath. My parents kept saying no but I guess I was persistant enough and promised I'd keep her forever and always want to play with her, that they finally caved and bought her for me. Other than a minor haircut at some point, she is also still in pretty good shape at my parents house. I joke with my parents that I was true to my word :).

schrocat
12-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Nothing. :) I make up for it by buying myself what I want without going into debt.

mommytotwo
12-22-2012, 12:36 AM
The Merlin electronic game.

essnce629
12-22-2012, 05:20 AM
EZ Bake Oven

Doll from German toy store (we lived in Germany for 2 yrs) I still have her!

Doll pram from German toy store (that stroller was AWESOME!)

Doll pack-n-play

lizzywednesday
12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Fisher Price "my first camera" - it was a 110 film camera with a safety-release strap & built-in bumpers.

I loved that thing.

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2012, 09:57 AM
A TV when I was 13. I still have that TV in my bedroom. Dh has tried for ages to get me to upgrade but I have a sentimental attachment to it.