PDA

View Full Version : Flu & a Christmas gathering: WWYD

SkyrMommy
12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
DH has been sick since Monday afternoon, and after finally going to the doctor today found out it is the flu. He's getting better, fever is gone, but he's still sounds and feels bad.

Our family has a big Christmas Eve gathering, and I feel like we shouldn't go to make sure no one else catches this from us, but I am so,so sad not to go. WWYD (poll coming)? If we're all feeling well by Sunday would you go? There will be other babies there other than DS, no newborns, but older relatives as well.

anonomom
12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure if it's really flu, you're no longer contagious once you've been fever-free for 24 hours.

jacksmomtobe
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
As the prev poster said as long as your child is fever free for 24 hours I think you can go. Feel for you dd & I missed all the family Christmas celebrations last year as she had a quick bout of the stomach bug on Christmas Eve. My family gets together that might and DH's the following day so we weren't in the clear for 24 hrs. DH was trying to push us to go Christmas Day but I held firm as we've had one set of relatives pass illness onto us almost every yr.

SkyrMommy
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
one set of relatives pass illness onto us almost every yr.

:yeahthat: This is what most worried me, usually we've been on the receiving end of sicknesses from family events. I just don't want to pass it on to anyone.

swissair81
12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
How is that the case if they never had fever to begin with. All of my kids had the flu this week, none of them had fever. I'm sure they were contagious because the whole house got it one by one.

AnnieW625
12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
If he is fever free for 24 then he should be fine, but I would have him rest as much possible in these next couple of days and make it a game time decision.

The flu is weird. Last year DD1 got it first and stayed home on Christmas Eve with DH, then she was better by Christmas Day, but DH ended up coming down with it too. I spent time with DD1 when she was sick and never got it, neither did DD2.

mackmama
12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I would not go. Bummer but don't want to expose others.

chozen
12-20-2012, 11:00 PM
christmas eve is still 4 days away. i think it would be perfectly ok to go by then.