PDA

View Full Version : If you have a DC with a birthday close to Christmas...

KpbS
12-20-2012, 04:46 PM
How do you decide which gifts to give for which occcasion? Do you give more at the birthday or Christmas? Any other tips/ideas?

gcc2k
12-20-2012, 04:54 PM
DS's b-day is January 3. I pretty much just shop for the holidays and birthdays all at once, then decide which gifts will be for Christmas and which for birthday. Since we are traveling this year, big gifts (like the trike) are birthday gifts, since otherwise it's a pain to pack and repack. We try to even out the number of toys, books, and clothes he receives for each occasion. I would say however, that we tend to give slightly more toys for his birthday than for Christmas. He'll get so many other gifts from other relatives, that we don't need to inundate him with gifts at Christmas.

DietCokeLover
12-20-2012, 05:02 PM
DS' bday is 11/16 and DD's bday is 12/8 so it feels like a big gift fest starting mid November in our house.

I shop continuously for about a month and then choose 2 gifts for bdays. The rest are Christmas. I always make sure to use birthday paper and not Christmas paper when I wrap the gifts because I don't want them to ever feel like the birthday wasn't THE event.

queenmama
12-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I pretty much just shop for the holidays and birthdays all at once, then decide which gifts will be for Christmas and which for birthday.

This is what I do, except it's DH, not DC, with a Christmastime birthday. :)

Lara

kristac
12-20-2012, 05:27 PM
DS1's bday is the 29th. I shop all at once then rearrange to fit the budget/ even out Christmas with his siblings. So if he has (noticibally) more packages then his brother I might save some for his birthday or swap out for fewer but high $ items. To complicate things my parents and grandmother send me cash to purchase things for Christmas/ birthdays- so I am juggling multiple lists.

ett
12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
DS2's birthday is about a month after Christmas. I pick up gifts throughout the year so before Christmas I just make sure I have several saved for his birthday. He does get slightly more gifts for Christmas.

fedoragirl
12-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Another Jan. birthday here. We only buy one gift for each occassion. This year, we have added stockings because DD is mighty excited about Santa. I give 1-2 small gifts (books or puzzles) in the stockings.

kaitlyns.mom
12-20-2012, 06:46 PM
DD's birthday is 12/23. DS's is 1/16. We buy gifts for both occasions usually and then decide when to give what. Big gift for each - for example, trike for birthday for DS, train set for Christmas... but they get more at Christmas then at birthdays. That will probably change as they get older.

edurnemk
12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
DS's bday is 1/15, and we also celebrate the Epiphany and kids get gifts from the 3 Wise Men on 1/6 (yes, on top of Xmas). So it's 3 weeks of non stop gifts it seems. DS get 3 things from Santa, 2 from the 3 Wise Men, one thing from us on Xmas, and one birthday present. The Bday present is usually bigger, but not necessarily. Sometimes we pick it from his wishlist.

AngelaS
12-20-2012, 08:14 PM
My oldest is a Christmas baby. She gets three gifts for Christmas and one or two smaller gifts for her birthday.