PDA

View Full Version : How many gifts do you buy for your kids (and inlaws)?

ckso
12-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Just wanted to see what others are doing. How many gifts are you buying for your kids? At what point do you think it's too much?

Also, on my husband side they tend to do a lot of presents, anywhere between 6-8 presents per person. They have a small family so its just sister in law and mother in law but seems a lot to me. On my side of the family we only give presents to the kids not adults.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this and how to approach. My then 3 year old got so many presents (probably around 20 between the inlaws) plus she was opening presents for her baby sister too. She got into such a frenzy that she was just opening presents saying "more more" without even caring what is it. Then she goes to my family and she gets 1 present from each of my siblings and grandparents (so about 6) which I think is more manageable

Should I just let it go and be happy they get so much presents?

On the other hand, I feel budget wise we're spending too much money on the inlaws with buying so much presents

edurnemk
12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
We buy one present for each person (MIL, FIL, SIL, my parents and my 3 brothers), our kids get one thing from us and 3 from Santa.

But I get it, my IL's are the same. My DS gets the same way with the ILs and their million presents. This year I worked up the courage to politely ask them to get only one per child from each of them. I told them we are very grateful for their gifts and know how much they enjoy giving them to our kids but that we really want to emphasize the true meaning of Xmas and help DS learn to be grateful.

I also have issues with the multiple present thing, I try to let it go, and we only get one present for each IL. But since it's turning DS into a spoiled brat I felt I had to say something. Actually they had this "tradition" of giving the kids presents on every Advent Sunday as well (yeah, like we really need to make this time of year more about stuff, right?), they did it with their kids and they tried to start it with mine. The first time I nearly had a fit but kept my cool. This year MIL at least had the decency of asking on the first Sunday if she could give him a toy, and I very calmly responded "yeah, DH has told me about this tradition, but honestly, MIL, I'd rather you didn't because he gets so much stuff this time of year as it is, he doesn't even appreciate it plus he has a Bday coming up".

If you don't want to spend so much money maybe you can suggest doing a gift exchange /secret Santa among the adults, and then only buy gifts for the kids?

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2012, 08:06 PM
I have a budget of $40-60/ person so it can be a mix of big and small, lots of small or 1 big. It really depends on the person.

For the kids, I have scaled back here at home bc they get so many presents from all of their grandparents, aunts and uncles...it's worked out.