PDA

View Full Version : When to pack my bag for the hospital?

Jupiter
12-20-2012, 10:47 PM
As I enter month 7, I was beginning to think what I will need for the hospital. When should i have it ready for and what should I pack?

Tia!

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2012, 11:00 PM
36-38 weeks

jgenie
12-21-2012, 12:12 AM
I would say pack it now. You can always update it later in your pregnancy. So says the mom who gave birth to DS1 at 35.6 weeks and DS2 at 36 weeks and didn't have my bag packed. You would think I would have learned my lesson the first time but no - I was running around at 10:30 trying to pack a bag to go to the hospital for DS2 after my water broke. It actually worked out for me because going up and down the stairs helped my labor along and DS2 was born 15 minutes after we pulled in to the hospital parking lot. I wouldn't recommend that though. :D

mommytoC
12-21-2012, 12:51 AM
I'd pack my bag (and install the carseat base) around 35 weeks. With DD#1, we installed the carseat at 36 weeks, but I didn't pack my bag until I got the "urge" one evening at 37 weeks. It was about 2/3 packed when my water broke :). The second time around, the bag sat packed for 4+ weeks, which was just fine...

Mali
12-21-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm still buying stuff for mine (pjs that button in front, nursing tanks) and I'm 38 weeks on Monday.

With all the stuff I'm doing for the holidays, I just hope that she decides to be late instead of early so I have a better chance of being packed and ready. ;)

I'd definitely recommend getting it ready earlier than I have (or at least being mostly finished by 38 weeks). As far as things to pack, check your hospital's website to see if they have a list they suggest.

Here's what mine suggested (and they also recommend packing at the start of the 9th month):

Labor Room Kit
Chapstick/Vaseline for dry, chapped lips
Lotion for massage
Warm socks (our baby class teacher recommended 5 pairs so that you're not putting on slightly damp socks when your feet get cold again)
Nutritious food for your labor partner (avoid foods with distinct odors)
Sour lollipops for quick energy and to help keep your mouth moist
Tennis balls or other firm objects for back counter pressure
(Tennis balls placed inside a sock make an effective and inexpensive back roller)
Telephone numbers and a telephone credit card
Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, breath spray
Camera and film, camcorder
Tie backs and clips for long hair
Hand fan
Cassette tapes (**or CDs and CD player)with favorite relaxation music
Tub if desired and not available at particular hospital
**Be sure to check with the hospital regarding their policy about using electrical appliances brought from home.

For Mother
Two nursing bras if breastfeeding or one regular bra
One or two nightgowns if desired (button down fronts are nice if breastfeeding)
Bathrobe
Slippers
Toilette articles; hairdryer (Be sure to check with the hospital regarding their policy about using electrical appliances brought from home)
Address book with phone numbers
Calling card
Loose fitting outfit for going home

For Labor Partner
Pajamas (if planning on staying overnight)
Robe
Slippers
Changes of clothes
Toilet articles
Bathing suit (if mom showers while in labor)

For Baby
If using cloth diapers, two for going home (hospitals only use disposable diapers)
If using cloth diapers, two diaper pins or Velcro diaper covers
One undershirt
One receiving blanket
Outer blanket or snuggles with legs
A hat and pair of booties
A car seat for the baby's ride home and all car rides (California State Law)

jam224
12-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Here was my hospital list:

FOR MOM

Chapstick
Headband and ponytail holders
Toiletries
Makeup
Nursing pillow (I started out with the Boppy, but ditched it when we got home for My Brest Friend. Worked SO MUCH better for me!)
Nursing bra (Started out with Medela, then after I got over being engorged, I wore Bravado bras. Love them.)
Nursing pads (I don't think I needed these in the hospital, but I brought them.)
Nipple cream (Earth Mama Nipple Butter (http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/natural-nipple-butter.html); LOVED this stuff!)
Soothing spray (New Mama Bottom Spray (http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum-recovery/new-mama-bottom-spray.html); I used this instead of the Dermoplast.)
Soothing salve (Earth Mama Bottom Balm (http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum-recovery/mama-bottom-balm.html);I brought it, but didn't need it as I had only 2 tiny tears.)
Camera + extra battery
Video camera + extra battery
iPod (with Hypnobirthing scripts and relaxing music)
Cell phone + charger
Maternity clothes to wear home
Socks (I actually wore grippy socks around the hospital because I didn't feel comfortable wearing my personal house slippers on their germy floors. :P Most hospitals should be able to supply you with a pair.)
Pillow + pillow cover (I wanted my memory foam pillow from home.)
Berkshire blanket (I brought this super soft fuzzy blanket, which was MUCH nicer to snuggle up with than hospital linens.)
Bath robe (to wear over my hospital gown when visitors stopped by)
Baby book page for baby hand-prints/footprints
Hypnobirthing folder (all of my labor materials)

FOR BABY

Pacifier (I brought it *just in case,* but didn't use it until after BFing was well-established... about 2-3 weeks.)
No-scratch mittens (I used them sparingly because touch is so important to a newborn, but I wanted her face to be pretty for her newborn photos, which were taken within a week of her birth... after that, I no longer used them.)
Baby emery boards (I brought them, but they didn't seem to work for me.)
Baby going-home outfit
Car seat
Stroller
Baby socks
SwaddleMe, size small in fleece
Baby hat or 2
Swaddling blankets (A&A muslin ones)

FOR DAD

Change of clothes
Toiletries
Cell phone charger

I tried to pack as much as possible beforehand and wrote a short list of things to throw in our bag at the last minute (like toiletries), so I wouldn't forget.

rin
12-21-2012, 03:14 AM
I installed the carseat at about 36-37 weeks. I wrote up a list for what would go in my labor bag, but didn't pack it until I was in labor, since I use the things that would be in there (clothes, camera, toothbrush, etc).

roseyloxs
12-21-2012, 07:45 AM
I didn't pack mine until my due date but I am a classic procrastinator. I thought about packing it at 36 weeks and that's probably a more appropriate time for it.

essnce629
12-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I'd say by 36 weeks is a good goal.

This site has a pretty good list to start with:
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbirth/a/laborbag.htm

And here's some things I would add. Some are geared for a natural birth.

* Camera, cell phone, and video camera chargers. Make sure your digital camera memory card is cleared.
* Birthing ball (the hospital sometimes has them but they're not always inflated enough or they can't find them.)
* Slippers or socks with non-slip bottoms
* Robe
* Breastfeeding pillow
* Sleep nursing bra that pulls to the side. Nursing tanks are good too.
* Hand covers or nail scissors for baby (their nails are SHARP)
* Baby wipes (the hospital sometimes has dry wipes that you have to wet yourself)
* Cooler with snacks, food, and drinks. After you give birth you'll be starving, and if it's in the middle of the night the cafeteria will be closed. Good snacks for you during labor are applesauce, Luna/Clif bars, bananas, yogurt, honey sticks, etc. Make sure you have stuff your DH likes too.
* Gadorade or similar electrolyte drinks (studies show that women who drink them during labor actually feel less pain). Emergen-C is good too.
* Headband and hair ties
* Those battery powered flameless candles are nice. You'll want to keep the room dim and regular candles are not allowed. Target and Bed, Bath, and Beyond have them.
* Small trash can or gallon size ziploc for in the car in case you need to throw up
* Something to wear when you labor in the shower if you don't want to be completely naked. Sports bra is good.
* Shower cap so your hair doesn't get soaked while laboring in the shower.
* Gum or mints
* Gowns for laboring in and postpartum. Make sure they're easy to breastfeed in.
* A package of Depends. They are AWESOME and WAY better than dealing with the giant hospital pads and mesh panties.
* Flip flops for the shower.
* Gift for the nurses. Usually something sweet and not healthy-- box of chocolates and donuts are favorites. Give it to your nurse when you first get to your room so she'll like you and follow your birth plan. You might want to have something for the postpartum nurses too.
* Magazine/book to read postpartum when you have nothing to do and baby is sleeping.
* Burp cloths
* Baby hat
* Pediatrician info
* Insurance card
* Makeup
* Laptop and battery if you have one and USB cord to upload pics
* Trash bag with towel on top to sit on during ride to hospital in case your water breaks.

lizzywednesday
12-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I didn't pack until the weekend before, but I had a scheduled induction for various reasons.

I bought new PJs & a pair of slippers (definitely bring slippers or a pair of flip-flops; I think I brought both.)

I packed:
* lip balm
* changes of clothes (including underwear)
* my own maxi pads (yes, the hospital provides, but if you find them uncomfortable, I had good results with Always Infinity Overnight pads)
* nursing pads (cloth, but I ended up preferring disposables by Avent)
* Soothies gel breast pads (do not recommend; they leave a residue & it needs to be cleaned off your breast prior to a feed or pumping)
* lanolin/nipple cream
* camera
* cell charger/cell phone
* personal laptop (if the hospital has WiFi)
* hand lotion for DH & me
* lip balm for DH & me
* toothbrushes
* toothpaste
* contact lenses
* contact lens solution
* contact lens case
* glasses
* hard case for glasses
* my 20oz Camelbak brand water bottle

Ask your hospital about their policy for snacking during labor (the one where I delivered was quite old-school and, therefore, overly cautious, so they did not allow any eating during my induction) - recent research has shown that it's beneficial to moms to have small snacks to keep their energy up while in labor, but a lot of hospitals don't allow it for multiple reasons.

HTH!

hopeful_mama
12-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I am due a few days after you, I plan to gradually start packing after Christmas or New Year's, and be done by the end of January (ideally sooner). I will pack less than last time, there were a bunch of things I didn't need. The majority of what I will pack is actually personal toiletries, things like that, as I'm particular about them. I found a bunch of things were hard to pack until right when you're ready (because you use them frequently) so it can be good to print up a list and keep it with your bag (write it clearly enough for your DH or someone to figure it out, in case you need help). I also packed in 3 bags (2 were small): a bag of things I'd want during labor & delivery (& immediately afterwards), so we could just take that with us at first & I could send DH to the car later; a bag of things I'd want after delivery; and a diaper bag with the baby's things, that wasn't much.

Don't have my lists finalized, but for baby all I plan to bring are coming home outfits in both NB & 0-3 mos, nail clippers, blankets, and mitts or extra socks - I had thought the mitts were silly, but DD needed to be warm, warm, warm the first few days, so we ended up putting spare socks on her hands, and tucking lots of blankets around her in her carseat when we left. And of course just standard diaper-bag stuff, enough to get you home.

jam224
12-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Two more tips! Another post reminded me: I brought Cottonelle wipes and they were awesome post-partum. Much nicer than the rough hospital toilet paper!

And a tip shared with me by a local doula: Have mom set out everything that needs to be packed, but have dad pack it. That way, he'll know where everything is! ;)

MamaMolly
12-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Ooooh the Depends are a good idea. Never thought of that. Too late for me now! :ROTFLMAO:

One thing, a PP mentioned tennis balls, etc. in the very old school hospital Lula was delivered in they wouldn't let you have anything like this. Apparrantly there were too many instances of massagers being used as projectiles and smacking husbands. ;)

Jupiter
12-21-2012, 07:41 PM
And a tip shared with me by a local doula: Have mom set out everything that needs to be packed, but have dad pack it. That way, he'll know where everything is! ;)

Oh good point!

AshleyAnn
12-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I was induced after my blood pressure skyrocketed at 34 weeks after a picture perfect pregnancy. I did not have a bag packed and the carseat wasnt in the car - next time I'm going to do those things as soon as I hit 30 weeks. Never too early to pack, anything could happen at anytime and you certianly do not want your DH to pack for you (trust me! men do not *get* why women pack so much and this will be THE moment your DH decides to go off about it)