PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to a gun control rally?

mommylamb
12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
My aunt, uncle and two cousins live in Newtown, and while my cousins are older (20 and 16), they were all very much impacted by the shooting, of course. My aunt posted on Facebook the other day that she will be attending a "Million Children March" on DC, that organizers are trying to schedule for sometime in February, and wanted to know who would join her. I feel strongly about stricter gun control, and initially said to count me in, and was even toying with the idea of taking DS1 with me, since this is a million children march.

But then the scary thought of all those kids gathered together in one place and whether that created some sort of target started to set in. I hate to say this, but I think I might be afraid to go. Am I nuts?

anonomom
12-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I plan to be there, with as many of my kids as DH feels comfortable with. There's always a chance that something horrible could happen, but I just can't let that stop me.

redhookmom
12-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I would imagine that it would be a very safe place to be. Security will be very high. Traveling there on the roads would most likely be the most dangerous part of the trip.

But, I understand your feeling. Everything seems different now.

AnnieW625
12-21-2012, 10:25 AM
If I lived in the area I might attend by myself I don't know if I would take my kids unless I knew security was going to be pretty tight. I don't think anything would happen, but I would also then have to explain the situation to my 6 yr. old and that would be a lot more than simply stating "oh guns are bad (when used incorrectly), and they hurt people." That simple thing she knows already, but I am sure there will be references to Sandy Hook as well.

anonomom
12-21-2012, 11:14 AM
If I lived in the area I might attend by myself I don't know if I would take my kids unless I knew security was going to be pretty tight. I don't think anything would happen, but I would also then have to explain the situation to my 6 yr. old and that would be a lot more than simply stating "oh guns are bad (when used incorrectly), and they hurt people." That simple thing she knows already, but I am sure there will be references to Sandy Hook as well.

Hm. That's a good point. DD is blissfully ignorant of what happened last week and I would like to keep it that way.

OTOH, I attended the March for Women's Lives in 2004, and met several families with three or more generations marching together (including kids). It was such an amazing and powerful thing. I'd love for DD to be able to experience something like it.

I'm going to have to think this one through some more...

mommylamb
12-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I think by then that enough time will have passed that I could say something to DS1, but not go into detail.

123LuckyMom
12-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I had exactly the same thought! I'm planning on going, though, and taking the children. I do not plan to tell DS about Sandy Hook but just to tell him we're protesting about there being guns around that can hurt children.